Today we’re introducing our upgraded and newly designed ITS First Aid Products. The ITS Boo Boo Kit Plus is a... View ArticleView Article
For this week’s Knot of the Week we’ll be going back to our fishing knots with the Palomar Knot.
The Palomar Knot is one more fishing knot for the toolbox, or tackle box, that can come in handy while fishing or in a survival situation.
Used to secure most any kind of fishing line to a swivel or hook, including traditional monofilament, the Palomar Knot is nearly impervious to being pulled out.
Your fishing line has a greater chance of breaking before this knot goes anywhere. If your line does break, you’re likely to find your Palomar Knot still tied to the hook (if you even find the hook…)
Here’s how to tie the Palomar Knot.
Palomar Knot » Hitches
(Strength: 4/Secure: 4/Stability: 3/Difficulty: 3)Please refer to our Knot of the Week introduction post for a description of what these ratings mean.
- Securing monofilament or most any fishing line to a swivel or hook
- Form a bight in your fishing line, creating a loop.
- Ensure you have at least 8″ of doubled line available and insert it through the eye of the hook/swivel.
- Pull the doubled line through the hook/swivel and bring it towards the standing part.
- Tie a gentle overhand knot, keeping it loose.
- Ensure the loop created after the overhand knot is large enough to slip over your hook/swivel.
- Slip the loop over the hook/swivel.
- Slide the loop up onto the line just above the eye of the hook.
- You can also moisten the knot to reduce the friction and to pull the knot tighter.
- Trim the free end of the line close to the knot.
- Go Fishing!
View the gallery or YouTube video below and follow along with the steps above!
Are you getting more than 14¢ of value per day from ITS Tactical?
Please consider joining our Crew Leader Membership and our growing community of supporters.
At ITS Tactical we’re working hard every day to provide different methods, ideas and knowledge that could one day save your life. Instead of simply asking for your support with donations, we’ve developed a membership to allow our readers to support what we do and allow us to give you back something in return.
For less than 14¢ a day you can help contribute directly to our content, and join our growing community of supporters who have directly influenced what we’ve been able to accomplish and where we’re headed.