• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

No, I've never signed up at Standard Issue... nice little program they have there.
If I don't try to the SKD gloves I will be sure to do this before buying another pair.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#42 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:07 AM

No, I've never signed up at Standard Issue... nice little program they have there.
If I don't try to the SKD gloves I will be sure to do this before buying another pair.

I can pretty much promise that you won't be disappointed. You can literally pick a credit card up off the floor with the gloves on. I love mine and believe I will always have a pair in my reach.

P.S. I promise I don't work at SKD :)

Edited by Lao, 01 May 2013 - 07:08 AM.

• Davis likes this
Posted Image

#43 Highwaystreets

Highwaystreets

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

Yah if you qualify I would for sure sign up. They have a fair amount of gear and lots of stuff for days off as well, it's treated me very well over the years!

These SKD gloves do sound awesome tho, might have to grab a pair

#44 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

The Oakley SI program is awesome, but it is fairly restrictive in regards to who can get access.

About the Pig Tactical Gloves from SKD... they are awesome, based on Lao's raving review I picked up a couple pairs a while back. I wore them earlier in the season when it was about 50 degrees out and raining hard and they kept my hands warm on a 5 mile hike in the desert, then this past weekend I took them out and wore them while shooting in 95 degree desert heat and after 200 + rounds through my AR my hands were not overheated or sweaty. They are really great shooting gloves and I highly recommend them.

-Davis
  • Lao likes this

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#45 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

Ive been runnin the hatch FR operator shorty for a couple of years. I do like them quite a bit. They got a padded knuckle and palm but fingers are not. I feel like i got good dexterity and good trigger response. Our team just got in some assortment of oakleys. I picked out a pair of SI Tactical FR glove to try. Ive never ran a hard knuckle glove before, ive just had padded. At first they seem a bit thick but im going to get them broken in before i make an opinion. I do like my hatch operators so we will see.

Ive been wanting to try a pair of skd pigs and feel what the fuss is all about.

I do want to say gloves have to be no one perfect set for everyone. Some are better than others. If you find a pair that you love, buy two. so when you got to replace the old, you wont have to be stuck with going to the local shop and buying left overs.

Alternative idea... Many years ago, i had a pair of base ball batting gloves that i would love to try out now as shooting gloves. My old pair have shriveled up and dried out years ago. Ive just havent been around a good sporting good shop to drop in on.

Edited by jgnolen, 01 May 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#46 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

My favorite:
Posted Image

Haha, but I always keep a pair of Mechanix Originals on me when I shoot or do other outdoor activities.

Posted Image

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#47 Oregon Jim

Oregon Jim

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 29 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:39 PM

I started with a pair of Mechanix gloves from Lowes several years ago and still have them, cut the trigger finger off though as the dexterity is not there and found it worth the sacrifice over taking the glove off all the time.

Last year I got the bright idea of buying a new cool tactical glove (looks like condor has done a knockoff) that I can't remember the name of, but it had fold-able finger and thumb tips that made using an iphone nice and gave total protection for taking a can off without burning my trigger finger. :) Problem is that after a few weeks, the opening on the fold-able tips stretched loose and they are worthless as it and will likely get cut off.

If I do buy another set it will be Mechanix or the PETZL lightweights but the originals are doing the job. I wont' be spending more than $30.00 again for gloves though.

PS. Tried the aviator nomex for a while and they felt like my hands were swimming inside them... never got use to them.

Edited by Average Joe, 13 May 2013 - 11:40 PM.

#48 Oregon Jim

Oregon Jim

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 29 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

http://www.opticspla...oves-black.html (Camelbak Heat Grip CT Gloves)

These look pretty nice, anyone tried them?

Edited by Average Joe, 13 May 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#49 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

cut the trigger finger off though as the dexterity is not there and found it worth the sacrifice over taking the glove off all the time.

Interesting, I didn't have much of a problem with dexterity while wearing them.

PS. Tried the aviator nomex for a while and they felt like my hands were swimming inside them... never got use to them.

Yeah, I used those when I did some aircrew training in the Marines and hated the things. Only reason I wore them was because I had to.

http://www.opticspla...oves-black.html (Camelbak Heat Grip CT Gloves)

These look pretty nice, anyone tried them?

Look just like the Mechanix I have, and they're great. Little loss of dexterity when I use them, and they've upheld most of what I've put them through (which isn't too much, as I posted a few above I shoot barehanded and seldomly use them).

Edited by mangeface, 14 May 2013 - 09:48 PM.

VQz5Nwz.png

#50 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

I have the Mechanix Originals (prolly 3-4 pairs), the Oakley SI gloves, Hatch gloves, the nomex flyers gloves, and I continue to return to the flyer's gloves. I cut the thumb, index, and middle finger off and most of the gauntlet. I haven't had any issues with them in that configuration. My Oakley gloves came apart at the seam between the thumb and index finger, and I only used them when I was a turret gunner.

At work though I always have a pair of Mechanix gloves in my back pocket.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#51 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:50 AM

I have the Mechanix Originals (prolly 3-4 pairs), the Oakley SI gloves, Hatch gloves, the nomex flyers gloves, and I continue to return to the flyer's gloves. I cut the thumb, index, and middle finger off and most of the gauntlet. I haven't had any issues with them in that configuration. My Oakley gloves came apart at the seam between the thumb and index finger, and I only used them when I was a turret gunner.

At work though I always have a pair of Mechanix gloves in my back pocket.

I know flyers gloves are considerably cheaper than the PIG's, but they are well worth it. If you can, give them a try... pretty darn durable and very comfortable, skin like. I purchased mine over the winter and they are STILL going strong... and I use them quite a bit. I wore the flyers gloves for 20+ (free issued gear), but I won't go back after getting the PIG. :)

BTW, I wear them on my Motorcycle too... just very nice gloves.

Edited by Lao, 12 September 2013 - 04:51 AM.

Posted Image

#52 Reaper Zero Eight

Reaper Zero Eight

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

If you qualify for Oakley standard issue you can't beat it. I wear the Oakley medium gloves and they are awesome. I can pick stuff off the floor and they are still thick enough where firing lots of rounds won't burn my hand off. Worth the $20 and I always order a few pairs. If you abuse them like I do they tend to wear the finger tips out quick but best gloves I've been able to find so far.

#53 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

I've used the standard issue gloves and they work well, but I like the added protection on my knuckles though I really don't have the added use for it.
Though more expensive than the SI gloves the SI Assault gloves can sometimes be had for $30.00 which is 60% off the retail price. When I catch them on sale I nab a couple pairs.

Edited by DStevenson, 15 September 2013 - 12:08 PM.

• Reaper Zero Eight likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#54 JK-Mann

JK-Mann

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

Anyone have any experience with Turtleskin gloves? I'm thinking of purchasing a pair of their Alpha gloves for work and I'm looking for protection/dexterity/fit. They seem great on paper but I can't find any place near me to try them out. I've been using the covert Mechanix gloves so far but I'm looking for an improvement.

#55 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Validating
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

Have you tried golf gloves? They make cadet sizes for those with shorter fingers. You might be able to find a women's cadet small or a child's glove. The leather gloves will provide some abrasion and heat protection and they also offer pretty good tactile feeling. They will not offer the padding of a mechanic's glove but should provide some protection from the cold.

In really cold weather, you might consider picking up mittens that open at the finger tips to allow the fingers to protrude. The leather golf glove should keep your fingers from sticking to cold metal. I don't live in snow country anymore, but I do see them online from time to time.

I wonder then if there is a market for small tactical gloves for women for shooting, even if just glove gloves in other colors with extra padding...

#56 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

I wonder then if there is a market for small tactical gloves for women for shooting, even if just glove gloves in other colors with extra padding...

Haha, 5.11. Their gloves always run smaller then what stated. Under Armour has a small line of tactical gloves for women.
I also think blackhawk makes their gloves in an XS size.

VQz5Nwz.png

#57 longshot0927

longshot0927

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

I've had multiple pairs of the Oakley SI gloves and they don't last for the price tag even for the SI price. I've always had problems with the leather part of the gloves tearing. The Mechanix original covert are my go to glove now. I have a pair of the Mechanix M-pact as well but they are thicker than I'd like, and the size seems to run a little larger than the original covert in the same size.

#58 creding

creding

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

The PIGs are well worth the wait. They run very true to size on their chart, and are like second skin. Great feel on the trigger and great dexterity. I can pick up
individual sheets of paper off the desk and still protect the hands. It will be a pretty amazing pair of gloves that gets me to change from these.

#59 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

I'm liking those new PIGs. What more could you ask for? Great gloves to shoot with, then turn around use your phone. :tongue:

I'm waiting on the PIG FRs though. Heat build up from my AK after sustained fire is killing my hands through my Mechanix.

VQz5Nwz.png

#60 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

Yeah, I hope they come outbsoon if this deployment rumor turns out to be true. Guess I'll hit up skd about it again on their section.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users