• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

Yeah, I hope they come outbsoon if this deployment rumor turns out to be true. Guess I'll hit up skd about it again on their section.

Yeah, last time I inquired was a couple of months ago.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#62 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:51 PM

Yep, just posted again in there. I hate bugging them aboit it, but at least they know people are still interested.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#63 Millertime1103

Millertime1103

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

+10000 for the Mechanix original. They just work for me and seem to last forever, don't break the bank, and if push comes to shove find an Autozone and buy more.
-- Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Posted Image

#64 SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

Anyone have a good suggestion for a cold weather glove for a technician?

I do work both inside and outside on different types of machines and am finding myself out in the cold with near frozen hands. makes getting those tiny screws out and back a pretty arduous task. I am starting to look for a pair of gloves that will help keep hands warm but are easily washable (I get into a good bit of dirt, grease, and other grime) and that will maintain good construction for more than a couple months while also giving the tactile feedback needed to know if i actually have that screw in my hand or if i dropped it and need to get out the magnet. water proof isnt really a necessity, but certainly favorable.

#65 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

Anyone have a good suggestion for a cold weather glove for a technician?

I do work both inside and outside on different types of machines and am finding myself out in the cold with near frozen hands. makes getting those tiny screws out and back a pretty arduous task. I am starting to look for a pair of gloves that will help keep hands warm but are easily washable (I get into a good bit of dirt, grease, and other grime) and that will maintain good construction for more than a couple months while also giving the tactile feedback needed to know if i actually have that screw in my hand or if i dropped it and need to get out the magnet. water proof isnt really a necessity, but certainly favorable.

Man, this brings back memories of when I was in Virginia for RUT. Trying to change a hydraulic line in the middle of the night and it was 15 degrees outside.

Anyways, I'm one that has hardly ever worn gloves while fixing anything, especially aircraft (due to what you said, dexterity). But in cases like what I just said, I usually got away with a pair of mechanics gloves that I was issued.

http://shop.camelbak...s/d/1103_cl_798

Edited by mangeface, 08 November 2013 - 10:30 PM.

VQz5Nwz.png

#66 Krono34

Krono34

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

I usually take 2-3 pair of mechanix with me on trips, they're my favorite for dexterity and warm weather. When the fingers wear i cut them off. Outdoor Research makes very durable gloves and are excellent in cold weather. Under armor makes good gloves for a decent price that work run in smaller sizes. I have to buy XL so it limits my choices at times
'OVER THE LINE! This isn't Nam Smokey, there are rules... MARK IT ZERO!'

#67 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

I've been rolling PIGs and honestly... they are some of the most barely there gloves ever. They are extremely comfortable and reasonably protective against minor bumps etc, but they are not hand armor.

89BccLb.png

#68 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

I've gone to wearing my Mechanix gloves. I normally don't wear any, but I've been running my AK to the point of nearly melting handguards lately.

• LongHaul and Scot McK like this

VQz5Nwz.png

#69 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

I've gone to wearing my Mechanix gloves. I normally don't wear any, but I've been running my AK to the point of nearly melting handguards lately.

Sounds like you've been having fun!

On another note, I use both Mechanix and PIGs. I like them both. PIGs definitely have better dexterity, but if you're melting handguards I'm not sure they'd be protective enough.

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#70 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:43 PM

On another note, I use both Mechanix and PIGs. I like them both. PIGs definitely have better dexterity, but if you're melting handguards I'm not sure they'd be protective enough.

Oh most certainly. But unfortunately I can't do that anymore. Due to unforeseen circumstances.

VQz5Nwz.png

#71 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

They wouldn't be enough, they have vent holes that would allow direct heat transfer to skin...

89BccLb.png

#72 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

Yup. That's why I'm waiting for PIG FR gloves.

VQz5Nwz.png

#73 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

Yup. That's why I'm waiting for PIG FR gloves.

You and everyone else... Since I know they monitor the forums from time to time, maybe they should drop us a little status report.

89BccLb.png

#74 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:35 AM

You and everyone else... Since I know they monitor the forums from time to time, maybe they should drop us a little status report.

Yeah, I was more than a little disappointed to see the touchscreen-compatible version come out before the FR one.
  • mangeface likes this

#75 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:27 AM

Yeah, I was more than a little disappointed to see the touchscreen-compatible version come out before the FR one.

TOUCHSCREEN FR!!! Alright, I guess that would be asking of a little much.

Edited by mangeface, 10 April 2014 - 05:29 AM.

VQz5Nwz.png

#76 SKD_Tactical

SKD_Tactical

Salty Dog

• ITS Sponsor
  • 519 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

Unfortunately adding silver thread to the fingertips to make the touch is far easier than sourcing FR material that would be thin enough to keep all the properties that make us love the PIG FDT-A gloves. We are working on them, but please don't hold your breath, as you won't make it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I want to be up front with you guys.

SOS
  • DeathwatchDoc likes this
Visit us at www.skdtac.com
& www.facebook.com/skdtactical
With Skill, Knowledge and Determination... You Will Prevail!

#77 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

Honesty is the best policy for good customer support... So while we are disappointed and saddened, I feel I speak for all of us when I say that we would much prefer waiting for it to be done right over losing what makes the PIG gloves awesome. Thanks for the update, I will be in the first batch when they launch.

89BccLb.png

#78 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the update skd. It's good to know it's still being worked to get it to your high standards and hasnt been abandoned or compromised.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users