• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

Hey guys I am starting to put together a few bags for myself and family members.  One being a BOB for the car and another for the house for emergency/earthquake bag(I live in So Cal)   I want to see what you suggest as must haves for each of them, med equipment, clothes, etc.    What you suggest is the best as far as waterpurification goes to have in them, what you think is un-needed, etc.   I am open to all suggestions for must haves, brands, and do not bother with packing in them.  In advance thank you to everyone that responds to this.  Sincerely,Matt
Posted Image

"Dream is if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today" - James Dean

#2 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

I maintain three of levels of emergency gear: Car, Grab N Go emergency and home.A) Car1) Ames USMC folding shovel2) Basic electronics tool kit3) 2 flares4) toilet paper5) water bottles/emergency water packets6) boo boo first aid kit7) Leatherman8) ZT 3509) Pullover wind shirt10) Athletic knee brace11) Emergency Blanket12) Two sided blanket that can be folded into seat cushion13) Safety glasses14) EDC day packa) basic 1st aid pouchi) boo booii) 10 water purification tabletsiii) waterproof match container with whistle and compassb) Magnesium fire starterc) Carabinerd) compasse) Bic Lighterg) Mini-knife sharpenerh) Packet of GLUi) 2 food barsj) Kershaw folding knifek) note padl) penm) 50 ct bottle of aspirin and/or ibuprofenn) fleece pullovero) mini-LED flashlight (110 Lumen)What is missing is the lack of a change of cloths and shoes in the car at all times in some type of easy to carry bag.  I use my day pack all the time so I can't really keep it packed with cloths. 

#3 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

Wow great detail!  Where have you purchased most of your gear, locally or online?  Thank you for the great feedback!!
Posted Image

#4 RealWoodsmen

RealWoodsmen

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

Matt, I wrote up this wonderfully long guide to almost everything on this subject, but lost it in a damn copy-paste error. I worked on it for probably a good hour and a half, and now it's all gone. I'll re-write it tomorrow for you.  To keep you busy, a few links: /forum/survival/other-useful-survival-sites A post that I started where people could contribute their favorite sites. Lots of great reading material there. http://www.youtube.c...er/RealWoodsmen My YouTube, no I'm not asking for subscriptions or views or whatever, I wanted you to check out the Fiskars X15 and Gerber LMF II review, along with my comrade's Leatherman Wave review. Other cool videos too, just wanted to point out those pieces of gear.

Edited by RealWoodsmen, 13 May 2012 - 02:53 PM.

"If at first you don’t succeed, call in an airstrike."

Semper Fi, do or die.

#5 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

Oh man that is a BUMMER I have done that on a few occasions and always try Ctrl+Z after and hope I can undo and save what I just wrote.  I will be looking forward to seeing your input, thank you so much for taking the time!
Posted Image

#6 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

I keep a grab and go Earthquake/emergency kit in mid-size duffle1) 4 4x4 gauze2) 3x4 nonstick gauze3) 2 Z pack gauze4) 2 rolled gauze5) 100 count ibuprofen6) 100 count aspirin7) 1 box antidiarhea8) 1 box pseudophed9) 1 box allergy med10) 1 Quick Clot trauma kit11) 1 Quick Clot sport silver pack12) 1 tube silver antibiotic13) 1 MSA sweetwater water purifier14) 1 water bottle with built in water filter15) 2 light sticks16) 6 packets electrolyte drink17) 1 pack of moleskin18) 2 Ace bandages (1 4" and 1 3")19) 1 roll of first aid tape20) 1 large roll of duct tape21) 1 lightweight backpacking hatchet22) 2 pair plyers (needle nose and heavier adjustable)23) 1 backpacking cooking pot set24) 1 Elbet cooking stove and heating tabs25) 1 Black fine point Sharpie26) 1 rite n rain notebook27) 1 50 hour candle28) 1 mini maglite29) 100 ft paracord30) 1 magnesium fire starter32) 1 set of quick set epoxy32) 1 roll of 28 guage brass wire34) 3 particle masks35) 5 large trash can bags36) 1 USGI water proof stuff bag37) 1 box assorted bandaids 38) 1 roll Coflex bandage39) 1 mountain house freeze dried dinner for 4 (1 family meal in a pinch)40) 1 biohazard clean up kit41) 1 clear 2 MIL 9'x12' plastic drop cloth42) assorted zip ties43) 4 AA batteries in case44) 4 AAA batteries in case45) 2 CR123 batteries in case46) 1 emergency poncho47) 1 emergency wire saw48) 1 instant ice pack49) 1 sewing kit50) 2 tooth brushes, toothpaste and floss51) 1 diagonal wire cutter52) 1 small box Q tips53) 1 box motion sickness tabs54) 1 chapstick55) 1 pair of work gloves56) ~40 Nitrile gloves (large)57) 1 sewing kit58) 1 Buck folding knife59) 1 surgical set (non sterile) 60) assorted sutures/needles61) 2 pair Biogel (non-latex) surgical gloves62) 1 small sharpening stone63) 1 non-LED mini flashlight64) 1 multiperson first aid pouch inside the duffle (grab and go)a) assorted safety pinsb) 1 ACE bandage c) 1 CPR maskd) 1 non-locking carabinere) 1 mini roll of TPf) 1 mini pack of Kleenexg) 1 emergency blanketh) 3' of duct tape on strawi) 1 instant ice packj) 1 irrigation syringek) 1 wire splintl) assorted bandaidsm) 4 4x4 gauze padsn) 8 2x2 gauze padso) first aid bookp) pencilq) first aid shearsr) full size tweezerss) 1 roll of first aid tapet) 4 packets of ibuprofenu) 2 packets of histaprinv) 3 packets non-asprinw) 2 packets burn gelx) 1 tube aloe veray) 2 packets of triple antibioticz) 10 water purfication tabletsaa) 3 packets iodine prepsab) 3 packets of general antiseptic wipesac) 1 sharpiead) 1 light stickae) 1 mini clip on flashlightaf) 1 howler emergency whistleag) 2 pair of nitrile glovesI also have waterless hand cleaner and a stethoscope that needs to go into the duffle. I did not build this as a medic bag but as a multiple person emergency preparedness bag that I could through into a car or carry to a neighbor's house in an emergency.I do not have an IV set which is on my list. I don't have a BP cuff either. I am adding quantities of 4x4 pads to this pack and the home kit, more rolled guaze, petroleum gauze pads, tube of vasoline, irrigation saline, 1000ml bags of Ringer's Lactate for IV, Hibacleans, surgical masks, large kerchief, 1-2 reusable forehead thermometers, a couple 3600 calorie Mayday bars and maybe a headlamp. I again don't have clothing and footwear in a BOB ready for the family as I have assumed that I have access to clothing in the house and would operate out of the home in the event of an earthquake, since our home is on bedrock instead of sand.  This is an area that I need to rectify.I am looking for an inexpensive way to store larger quantities of sterile dressings and backup supplies.  I'm thinking a waterproof box of some type or plastic pail with a waterproof lid.

#7 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Wow bro that is great!!  That really helps a lot some of the things I did not even think of that you have in your bag!  Are you looking for the waterproof boxes for a large quantity of med equipment?  There are some great waterproof bags to seal stuff in too if you are looking for anything just to keep it dry in case.
Posted Image

#8 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

A serious wound could use hundreds of 4x4s and/or gauze rolls to pack the wound before it heals in a worst case situation, so I want to have sufficient numbers packed away. I originally thought about sealed 5 gallon pails but a larger waterproof boxes might store and transport better.  

#9 RealWoodsmen

RealWoodsmen

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

Archangel covered a lot of the medical stuff, so I am only going to recommend a few absolutely essential items. 1. Israeli Bandage - great for putting and keeping pressure on wounds, sterile gauze sort of stuff, can be used as a tourniquet even though it isn't one, technically.2. Waterproof Fabric Band-Aids - fabric holds up the best out of any adhesive bandage3. Butterfly closures - useful for closing up a gaping tear/wound.4. Liquid anti-bacterial/biotic/septic - good for pouring into/on a wound5. Neosporin/other anti-bacterial/biotic/septic cream/gel - useful for putting underneath a  bandage to keep things moist and clean.6. Nitrile gloves - no one wants to get dirty, so carry some of these. Very cheap for large boxes.7. QuikClot/QuikClot Gauze - Some of the best hemostatic stuff you will ever find. Stops blood from flowing very quickly. Clothes:Under Armour makes some good, lightweight and extremely warm clothing. Packs real easily and blends in. I recommend a good wool-blend sweatshirt/hoodie, along with a good set of gloves and a good hat. Wells-Lamont makes nice gloves, Carhartt makes good hats, but really any brand will work. Wells-Lamont and Mechanix are good for warm work gloves, though I prefer Lamonts. You'll want non-cotton clothing if you have the chance of getting wet, so go for underarmour synthetic stuff. Keep a good stack of clean white t-shirts as well, plain cotton shirts can be used for almost anything. You will want socks, lots of socks. Feet get wet often when there are puddles, flooding, earthquakes, etc. Also keep spare undergarments. You want a good spare pair of pants that are durable, so look towards military surplus, like a set of ACU pants, or other ripstop material, or go with a good pair of double reinforced Carhartt pants.Try and always buy US-made stuff, it's better quality, though more expensive, and it will last you a life time, unlike chinese crap. Tools:A good Klein multi-bit screwdriver like this one is a must have, no matter what bag it's in. A solid survival/heavy duty knife is needed as well. The Gerber LMF II is a very solid knife, with a blade that is a quarter inch thick and with a very comfortable yet slip resistant handle. The pommel/butt of the knife has a glass breaker machined into it, and it works very well. (I have tested it.) Everything meets or exceeds mil-spec, and is MOLLE compatible. (MOLLE is a system of loops and velcro for attaching various pieces of gear) All in all, it is a very solid knife, and is priced around 60 or  70 dollars, depending on where you get it. Vice Grips (make sure they are US made) are essential. They can be found at yard sales for cheap or free. Don't pay more than 5 for a pair. Duct tape is handy. Never buy Duck brand Duct Tape, always get Nashua. Best stuff there is, and US made. Industrial grade tape, never deteriorates or comes undone. Have a watch, if you need a cheap but featured and reliable watch, I have a Casio SGW-100 which has been through hell and back and is still working away. Part 2 coming soon, got to head out now, more tools along with brands of stuff. Check out Spec Ops Brand, just google it. Best gear maker there is, in my opinion.

Semper Fi, do or die.

#10 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

Wow thanks a lot guys!!  Some great stuff, some of it I have already and keep getting more.  There are A LOT of extra med supplies on the base I am on right now overseas.  So I keep "tactically acquiring" more and more.  I can always use some more Under Armor or similar kind of clothing you recommend RealWoodsmen, I have a ton of stuff from the Army but can always use more, especially non "military" style clothing.  I also just purchased a ton of extra 550 cord from ITS the other week.  I am missing on some of the tools, I will visit a few of the army surplus stores when I get home and check out the Spec Ops stuff online as you mentioned. I have a nice list to start knocking items off of one by one!!!
Posted Image

#11 RealWoodsmen

RealWoodsmen

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

I know that in the Marines we can get some Spec Ops stuff at the PX, like the Tactical Holds Everything bag. They might have a custom version in MARPAT, but I know for certain they have tan, black, coyote, and multicam. It might be hard to find Spec Ops brand stuff at surplus stores. The stores near me carry a lot of chinese junk. That is, the newer stores. I didn't know you were in the Army, that's good. At least you aren't in the Chair Force I mean Air Force. Kidding of course. Good ol branch rivalry. Scoop up med supplies, those are often times most expensive thing. "Tactically Acquiring" lol.Some good ol' BDUs from 'nam and that time era are good pants as well. Semi-rigid OD canvas material, not too conspicuous. Air Force shirts from that time are nice too, good work/mechanic shirts.Best of luck,RW

Semper Fi, do or die.

#12 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

Thanks RW!  I was in the Army, doing the contract thing for now.  Another Ex-grunt that liked to fall out of airplanes here.  Have you tried the LA Police Gear bags?  I was really shocked at how unexpensive their bags are, and they sell out fast seeing as they are always on back order.  I will check online though for the Spec Ops gear and keep getting more med supplies.  There are a few packed old CCP boxes, not being used as I would not take from the ones that are current CCP boxes of course.   Thank you guys again for all the help and suggestions, I added a TON of stuff to my amazon wish list today so I will not forget any of the things you mentioned.
Posted Image

#13 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

For both of them I say keep it somewhat light and very mobile (use a heavily organized backpack like the Eagle A-III, Eagle AAP, LBT 5-Day Jumpable Backpack, something from Mystery Ranch, etc.). In the past I've made lists about this subject and come up with something like this.Setup the bag Modularized, meaning If you want First Aid or some other category then you should be able to pull it out without having to dig around for it, keep everything Compartmentalized and Ruggedized (Waterproof and Crushproof in ALOK-SAKs and other devices). Also, NEVER put BAND-AIDS with Pressure Bandages and Trauma Materials, follow the Combat Medical Systems "Separation of Mission Concept" and keep Trauma away from First Aid. Lastly, while I don't agree with everything Nutnfancy says (everyone has different styles) he brings up some very valid points, addresses mundane issues and provides some good gear suggestions in this Video and it's sister videos (Part 1) feature=plcp. Keep everything redundant (have a back-up for everything), yet still keep it light. Lighting: Surefire Flashlight (G2XPRO is Great!), Surefire, Princeton Tec or Petzl Headlamp (maybe one for each member of your family), back-up mini-flashlights (Gerber Infinity, Photon Freedom), 12-HR Cyalume Chemlights in Assorted Colors (30 Minute High Intensity would probably be a good add-in too). Batteries get heavy fast, you can take two approaches here. You can either take 3 battery changes for each light source or you can go light, I recommend however going with the extra batteries (especially because some Flashlights require specialized batteries). If the Flashlights do not run on specialty batteries then go with Energizer or Duracell (Made in USA) Lithium Batteries. Fire Starting: PRO-FORCE Scout or Army Fire Steel or Bear Grylls Fire Starter (Best Sparks I've seen), 8 Wetfire Tinder, Plastic Bags for Opened Wetfire Tinder, 2 Tubes (at least) of NATO PRO-FORCE Windproof/Waterproof Matches, 2 BIC Lighters (Try Restoration Hardware, Zippo and Ronson Too) Keep like 10 Tinder-Quiks and a Spark-Lite, TAD Gear or USGI Aviation Sparker as a back-up. (Other great Flint Options include Ultimate Survival Technologies (UST), EXOTAC, SOL, and Aurora) Food: Many Field-Stripped MRE Menus, Spork(s), Candy (for Morale, Hershey, Milky Way, TWIX, etc.), Hooah! Power Bars or Tactical Sammiches, Jelly Belly Sport Beans, and Gum (JOLT Energy or Just Regular). Water Purification: Take a look at the Survival Metrics Solar Still and Vegetation Still Kits, look into a Water Filter (Aquamira, MSR, Katadyn, etc.), keep a few packs of Water Purification Tablets in there (Aquamira Military Edition, Katadyn MP3 MicroPur), look into back-up personal filters (Aquamira Frontier PRO). Signaling: Take a Panel Marker with you, you can use the Regular USGI VS-17 (or cut it down), Survival Metrics Makes the RESQ-BRITE Panel and Battle Systems LLC. is coming out with a new really nice Marker Panel in the Spring. Chemlights work for long-term lighting and signaling so pack up with assorted colors, intensity's and IR ones as well. Always bring a nice Signal Mirror (keep it free of scratches and maybe bring two). USGI works great and so does the Adventure Medical Kits (AMK)/SOL Rescue Flash. Check out the Cyalume SOS Signaling Chemlight as well. Have a few Whistles on you (FOX-40 IS GREAT!), a few so you can communicate with under prepared people over long distances. Check out SAR Global Tool's products. Have a small Strobe for everyone in your party (MS-2000, SDU-5E, Adventure Light) and have extra batteries for them. I think keeping a Chemlight on everyone's person will be good SOP as well if one of you get lost. Radios and Distress Signals are great ideas as well. Now that I'm thinking about it, Pen Flares and Road-Flares would probably be good idea too. Trauma: Have an ITS Tactical ETA Kit or something similar with you. If you choose to use the Blow-Out Kit option then supplement it with 2 Tac Med SOF-T Wide Tourniquets and other items. Because you're working out of a pack, I say keep it organized and go with an Eagle Medical Pouch or Something Similar for Trauma, keeping on the external of the bag would be a good idea. Depending on your Training, pack accordingly. Have at least 2 (1 is none, 2 is one) Pressure Dressings (Israeli, NAR, OLAES, etc.). Same thing with Tourniquets (SOF-T, CAT, MET). Pack an abundance of Gauze (NAR S-Rolled, NAR Compressed), as it can be used for anything from Wound Packing to Wrapping of Scrapes. Pack two Packets of Quik Clot Combat Gauze and look into Quik Clot Combat Gauze Trauma Pads. ACE Wraps (like the Tac Med Control Wrap) are very useful and so are Cravats (USGI, Mcnett, Tac Med) and Safety Pins. For Airway, I suggest 2 28 FR NPA's with lube, a NAR Cyclone BVM and some CPR Shields. Regarding Breathing, I say pack in two Packets of HALOs. Other things I would add include an EPI-PEN, Bayer Aspirin 325mg (Swallow 2, Chew 2), Tylenol 500mg, and 1-2 SAM Splints. On Tactical Management Accessories, I recommend having a Really Good pair of Medical Shears (MOJO Shears), a Benchmade Rescue Cutter, NAR Durapore Tape, NAR Gecko Grip Tape, some NAR Triage Cards and a NAR Combat Casualty Reference Card. Lastly, Always pack PPE, Nitrile Gloves are the Best (NAR Bear Claw, NAR Black Talon, Tac Med Defender-T). This is not a complete list, but I think it helps. Medical: I am in the process of making a Sick-Call kit for Camp-Outs and here is my list, I think it's pretty complete.It is going to be in an Eagle Combat Lifesavers Bag (CLB) in Foliage Green and will ride in my pack.5 NAR S-Rolled or NAR Compressed Gauze, 20 Kendall Curity AMD 4x4 Gauze Pads, 30 Kendall Curity AMD 2x2 Gauze Pads, 20 Kendall Telfa AMD 3x4 Non-Stick Gauze Pads, 15 Kendall Curity Eyepads, 2 Honeycolloid Dressings, 2 Quik Clot 4x4 Emergency Dressings, 5 4x4 ¾  Tegaderm, 7 2x2 Tegaderm, 30 BD Alcohol Swabs, 2 Tubes of Neosporin, 1 Bottle of BAND-AID Brand Anesthetic Wound Wash, 15 Kendall Telfa AMD Adhesive Bandages, 25 3M Tough Fabric Assorted Adhesive Bandages, 30 Kendall Telfa AMD Band-Aids, 100 3x4 and 1x3 Assorted BAND-AIDs, 20 BAND-AID Brand Tough Fabric Knuckle Bandages, 15 BAND-AID Brand Tough Fabric Fingertip Bandages, 12 Big BAND-AIDS (3M Brand), Ludens Cough Drops, Quik Clot Nosebleed, PetClot, 20 Steri-Strips, 1 Roll of 3M Durapore Tape, 2 Rolls of 3M Transpore Tape, 5 or more SAM Finger Splints, 1 MOJO Medical Shears, 3 CTOMS Tweezers, 2 CTOMS Kelly Forceps, 10 Water-Jel, Burn Gel 3.5gr Packages, Glacier Gel Blister and Burn Dressings, 4 Benzoin Swabs, AMK (Adventure Medical Kits) Dental Medic Module, 10 Pairs of Bear Claw Nitrile Exam Gloves in Large, 5 CERA-LYTE Oral Rehydration Mix, 3 12cc Syringes, Digital Thermometer, 20 Probe Covers, 3 Bio-Hazard Bags, NAR BP Stethoscope Combo, 8-0 Sutures, Needles for Sutures, NAR Exam Light, 20 BAND-AID Brand Blister Ampoules, 20 Safety Pins, 2-4 Cravats, 3 Control ACE Wraps 4 or 6 Inch versions, Calamine Lotion, Saline Eye Wash with Cup, Staphaseptic, 1 Bottle of 325mg Bayer Aspirin, 1 Bottle of 500mg Tylenol, 1 Bottle of BENADRYL, 1 Bottle of Ibuprofen 200mg, 3 Silver Bullets, Tums, 1 Bottle of Imodium, 1 Bottle of Beano, 3 Petrolatum Gauze, 1 SAM Splint, Ranger Medic Handbook, 1 Bottle/Tube of Lotrimin Ultra (or similar brand), 10 Chapstick (assorted), Small bottle of Vaseline, AMK (Adventure Medical Kits) Dental Medic Module, 3 NAR N-95 Masks, 7-10 Pairs of NAR Bear Claw or Tactical Medical Solutions Defender-T Gloves, Needles for Decompression of Hematomas, etc, etc., 10 Ammonia Inhalents, 1 H&H Rigid-Combat Eye Shield, 3 4x4 Polymem, Whistle, Signal Mirror, 3 #10 Scalpels, 2 #11 Scalpels, and 5 #15 Scalpels.* All Non-Waterproof Components will be Modularized in Organizational ALOK-SAKs* Not Carrying Bottles, but Meds are in ALOK-SAKs and Hardened to be Crush-Proof Hydration: A Source 3L Bladder or two with the USMC Issue MSR In-Line Micro-Filter on it looks good. Strap a few USGI Canteens (Collapsible) to your pack as well. The Source UTA (Universal Tap Adapter) seems useful as well. Cooking: Whatever stove you want (Jetboil, MSR, Coleman, etc.) (I hear Jetboil is the best). With extra fuel cartridges and stuff to troubleshoot. As a back-up I suggest adding an Esbit stove with 8 Esbit Solid Fuel Tabs or Trioxane. Always have something metal to cook with, bring 1-2 USGI Canteen Cups will help you out as will Aluminum/Tin Foil. Clothing:  This all depends on your own preferences, price range and Climate. North Face is a great civilian brand as well as Patagonia (Kit Up! says the Nano Puff Pullover is Great!). Beyond Clothing is supposed to be great (they make the PCUs for SOF), Propper is great, Potomac Field Gear, GEN III ECWCS, Crye Precision, TAD Gear, OTTE Gear, Massif, and Arcteryx LEAF. You can get GREAT deals on USMC FROG Sets off Ebay as well. Smartwool and Darn Tough Vermont make the best socks. The USMC issues the best T-Shirts. Ranger-Up T-Shirts are comfortable. A Wool Knit Cap or USGI MicPosted Imageeece Cap is essential to Warmth.I say keep your clothing in a Seal-line Dry Bag and remember from Band of Brothers the old Infantry Adage "2 Pairs of Socks Minimum", the more good socks the better. Tools: Medium Fixed Blade Survival Knife like the Cold Steel SRK, Fallkniven A1, Gerber LMF II, etc. A Hard-Use Folding Knife (I carry a Benchmade Griptillian but I think you would want something from Emerson, Strider, Grayman, Winkler etc.) Nutnfancy says the Sawvivor Backpacking Saw is great and it probably is. I say bring a UST Sabercut Saw and a Back-Up BCB Commando Wire Saw. As an Earthquake Bag, a Good Tomahawk would make an excellent breaching tool. Check out American Tomahawk Company's Products, Benchmade Tomahawk, Emerson Tomahawk, Ontario's SPAX, Winkler's Rescue Breaching Axe and other Tomahawk Product Line and RMJ Forge. obviously you can also use a Tomahawk to aid in the Fire process. Leatherman makes the best Multi-Tools (I hear SOG and Multi-Tasker come close), I have the Leatherman Wave in Black and the Leatherman Squirt PS4 with both performing admirably. Look up Nutnfancy's Review on the Leatherman Rebar, a Multi-Tool probably suited for Urban Survival. Shelter: I hear the SEALs use NEMO Tents. Look into the New Army Shelter the Improved Combat Shelter (ICS) on Ebay.Carrying a Tarp or USGI Poncho is also probably a must. Sleeping: I've tried many different bags and found that the USGI Modular Sleep System (although heavy) is BY FAR the best. People speak very highly of the Kifaru Woobie and Doobie and I will pick one up soon.  It's meant to be better than the USGI Poncho Liner. Packing a Rigid Pillow (Kelty makes a "Pack Pillow") will help you catch some z's. You can stick with the USGI Durable Sleeping Pad or go with the more comfortable and insulating (less durable) Civilian Sleeping Pads (Thermarest is Made in USA). The MSS (Modular Sleep System) is big enough to put the Sleeping Pad in and Roll it up. It is a good idea to always pack a reserve Sleeping "Survival" Bag in reserve for your other bag, the Blizzard Survival Bag and Blizzard Survival Vest both have NSNs. Gear Repair: Have about 100ft of 550 Paracord at the ready along with 100MPH Tape (real stuff at Tactical Tailor), Superglue, Electrical Tape and a Sewing Kit. In my Sewing Kit I keep assorted threads (doubled up on Khaki, Tripled up on Black) with Safety Pins and 2 Large Eye Needles). Safety have 101 Medical Uses alone so stock up on good quality ones (not craft store ones, I learned that the hard way). Battle Systems LLC. makes a Product called Battle Tape that was reviewed on Kit-Up! and ITS Tactical. I am trying to incorporate it into my Kit as it is ultra utility at it's peak. It's insulated against electricity and is apparently/supposed to be right up there with 100MPH Tape. Footwear: I've been wearing Corcoran's (of Jump Boot Fame) for about 2 1/2 Years now and I love them. At Camp-Outs everyone's boots are falling apart while mine are just in perfect shape (Corcoran Desert Field Boots). Wellco, Danner, Zamberlan, Scarpa, Belleville, OTB, Salomon and Merrill make great boots as well (Merrill is still great but they are making their boots over-seas, and not the good type of over seas). I just ordered a pair of Scarpa Kailash GTX Boots, I'll tell you how those go/work out. Personal Hygiene/Toiletries: I don't have to get too into depth about this one but a few great products out there are the GOJO Military PURELL Dispensers, Military PURELL Wipes, Hooah! Wipes, ITW Warrior Wipes, and  ITW Field Shields. The United Spirit of America and Manumission Products look cool but I don't know/can't a test to that. Always get a good Bug's Spray, I am tired of fooling around with the Civvy Brands that advertise as "Deep Woods, Outdoor, Sportsman" and probably will buy the USGI Military from USCAV. Despite being a Civvy Brand I hear Sawyer is good, any thoughts? Miscellaneous: A few Locking and Non-Locking Metal Climbing D-Rings/Caribiners from Tactical Tailor would probably be a welcome addition, along with some ITW Tac-Links (Caribiners) and ITW Locking-D-Rings. Survival Bracelets are great. I am going to pick up a Suunto Watch and I'll tell you how that turns out (everyone is raving about it), if you want to go with ultra High-Quality then go with the SEAL owned company Resco. Oakley, Revision Eyewear (Sawflys are Great!), ESS (Eye Safety Systems) and Smith Optics are all on the U.S. Army APEL List. A lot of people are raving about the Oakley, Camelbak, Hatch USGI and Mechanix Gloves, (I am ordering some Camelbaks and I'll tell you how they work out). Rigger's Belts are perfect with some being more quick release than others. Bring a few Rite-In-The-Rain Notebooks along with Colored Pencils, Pens, Pencils, Grease Pencils, Sharpies, Protractor and Ruler. Navigation: GPS's (Garmin) are good but don't rely on them, always have a Good Compass on You. Out of all the Compasses I've ever used, the USGI Tritium Compass (although wicked heavy) is my absolute favorite and most accurate. Have an Area Map of your choosing as you see fit. While not a complete list, I feel it's pretty comprehensive. I'll add more later if I remember. None of this is a Replacement for Proper Training and/or Practice. I Hope this Helps!
Posted Image

#14 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

Oh, and one of those mini Titanium Pry-Bars. And Extra ALOK-SAKS.
Posted Image

#15 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Oh, and regarding Sleeping I've heard wonderful things about the Kifaru Woobie and Doobie as a blanket (better than USGI).
Posted Image

#16 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

Scrooks way to over deliver!!  All of you guys have blown me away on the detail/recommendation and providing brands of quality equipment as well.   I just added a ton more to my amazon wishlist, and picked up a few boxes of chemlights and med more med supplies.  I am looking at the LA Police Gear Operator Backpack for my main bag at homes as the price is really great but even better.  Their organizion options with all the compartments, and the padding with the bag make it seem the best for it.  While some people want to avoid "tactical" looking bags, I think some of these bags are the best made and fitted for these kinds of things.  I am just sticking with a black or OD green, not tan or camo. Scrooks where do you buy most of your stuff from?  Thank you again, watching the video you provided now.
Posted Image

#17 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

Glad I could help! I skip around the Internet for my gear, it's hard to have a one stop shop for this because your encompassing many different stores and products into one. For the Outdoor/Camping/Hiking stuff Backcountry.com is great.Tactical Stuff is either Manufacturer Direct or SKD Tactical or OP Tactical.Trauma is Rescue Essentials, Combat Medical Systems, North American Rescue, Tactical Medical Solutions, Canadian Tactical and Operational Medical Solutions (CTOMS) and a few others.I have a huge cart on Drugstore.com going for that Sick-Call Kit I'M Making (First Aid)For Knives, It's either Manufacturer Direct or Blade H.Q. or whoever has the best deals.Survival Stuff is Survival Metrics.Some stuff like a lot of Clothing has to be Manufacturer Direct. However REI and Backcounty are having Spring Sales (Like for North Face). (30% off!!!).Socks and Source Hydration Bladders are at Tactical Distributors.USGI Stuff is Ebay.USCAV is a place with a good selection. Regarding LA Police Gear, while I have not had any experience with them, I say tread lightly (also considering they were bashed in this ITS Tactical Article http://www.itstactic...ct-revolution/.). That bag is almost certainly made in China of a hybrid nylon (not 500 or 1000). I stay stick with either the Tactical Nylon Producers like Eagle Industries, Tactical Assault Gear (TAG), Shellback Tactical, HSGI, OSOE, US Grunt Gear, London Bridge Trading (LBT), Specter Gear, BDS Tactical, First Spear, Camelbak, Source, Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock, Mayflower R&C, and others. If price is an Issue, stick with the USGI Assault Packs and Rucks off Ebay.However, while you're on LA Police Gear look at the ORAL IVs and watch this Video  (they're in there) list=UUdqO3qjABeMfqdhErk-A7zg&index=2&feature=plcp If you have any more questions feel free to ask, (maybe about where to get specific products) and again Glad I Could Help!
Posted Image

#18 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

This is going to sound silly, but never underestimate the warmth of a dry UGG Boot, I keep them in my camping pack and sometimes use them for sleeping. They're Made In China but there aren't any other alternatives except the Wild Things Tactical USMC Happy Suit Booties ( which look like they are more easily packable, cheaper, lighter, 100% Percent Made In USA/ Berry Compliant, etc.).
Posted Image

#19 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

Great video and thanks for the list of places, some I did not even know about.  I was looking at those Oral IVs and they are super cheap with LA Police gear right now. I do agree with you on the quality of the gear, I will see how they are when I get the bags.  My thought process behind it was while they might not be good for everyday/regular use.  For a bag that will be sitting there unless shit hits the fan it will hold up enough to get the job done if ever used for emergency.  If the bag is really horrible quality when I do get it, I will return it and get something else of better quality.  I would not rely on it for everyday use unless I knew it was great quality.  I will let you guys know how the bag is when I get it though. I do love my rucks on a side note for backpacking, nothing beats an Alice pack in my mind for quality, price, and the comfort.  The new plastic molle ruck sacks I HAAAAAAAAATED when it was loaded with weight.  Gets the job done but not my top choice, especially to jump with. I will also update you with a picture of everything that I have so far and get your thoughts on it all. Oh and a quick question I was looking at the pen flare, where is a good place to get one?  Funny thing is last night we were playing around shooting some spare ones around.  I can not ship them from what I was told or else I would have just kept those.
Posted Image

#20 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

haha I have never even worn a pair of UGG boots before, but I can imagine how nice they would be in a cold climate or wearing around a camp ground.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users