• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

Thanks Guys! Are you going to kill the Rabbit?
Posted Image

#42 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

I don't plan on killing any rabbits, although I did almost catch one by hand in my back yard years ago. For some reason he wouldn't stop running even though I only wanted to pet him and eventually he made it out of the yard through a gap between the fence and the rock wall of our garden. Since then the only rabbits I see are at the pet store in the mall. I don't know what Archangel1 plans to do, though.

#43 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

Hasenpfeffer...  /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gif

#44 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

Scuba CN said:

I don't plan on killing any rabbits, although I did almost catch one by hand in my back yard years ago. For some reason he wouldn't stop running even though I only wanted to pet him and eventually he made it out of the yard through a gap between the fence and the rock wall of our garden. Since then the only rabbits I see are at the pet store in the mall. I don't know what Archangel1 plans to do, though.

How dare he run and not know you just wanted to pet him haha.
Posted Image

"Dream is if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today" - James Dean

#45 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:24 AM

Matt_h said:

I know, I was saying "Come here" and everything /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_rolleyes.gif

#46 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

Scuba CN said:

Matt_h said:

I know, I was saying "Come here" and everything /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_rolleyes.gif

/wp-content/forum-smileys/24.gif
Posted Image

#47 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

Scuba CN said:

Matt_h said:

Posted Image

#48 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

Matt_h said:

Scuba CN said:

Matt_h said:

/wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gif Archangel1 said:

Hasenpfeffer...  /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like that wascally wabbit is going to be kaput. Why not use it is goulash?

#49 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:20 AM

Hasenpfeffer is a much cooler name for rabbit stew... And there are enough rabbits to make both./wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gif

#50 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

Archangel1 said:

Hasenpfeffer is a much cooler name for rabbit stew...

I can't argue with that /wp-content/forum-smileys/anim_beer.gif It does sound much cooler than goulash

#51 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

How do you pronounce Hasenpfeffer?
Posted Image

#52 RealWoodsmen

RealWoodsmen

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hass-in-feffer is the pronunciation, Crooks.
"If at first you don’t succeed, call in an airstrike."

Semper Fi, do or die.

#53 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

I have an affinity for the word Hasenpfeffer.  I had a third grade teacher that taught us German. I tried to order Hasenpfeffer when I was in Frankfurt a couple years back.  Sadly, it was never on the menu. Here little bunny, bunny...

#54 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

What has happened in this thread? From bug out bags to bunnies......? Interesting turn of events....lol I made this for you guys.....Posted Image
Posted Image

#55 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

Rob Henderson said:

What has happened in this thread? From bug out bags to bunnies......? Interesting turn of events....lol I made this for you guys.....Posted Image

Hahahaha the minds of Men, that is what happened.
Posted Image

#56 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

What do you guys recommend for a good water purification.  I have the tabs, but other options seem endless with a large price range.  I have seen a lot of people use small pumps, what are your thoughts and recommendations on them or similar?
Posted Image

#57 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

It depends on the scenarios for which you think you will need the purifier.  Are you looking at high volumes for groups or families, backpacking, survival kit, automobile based, long term vs temporary water sourcing, etc.  Everything is a tradeoff.I bought a MSR sweetwater about 10 years ago for the earthquake kit to allow for processing of larger amounts of water for a group without boiling the water.  I have a Seychelles filter and bottle system for personal use, which one of my friends gave me.  I keep chlorine dioxide tablets in all my first aid kits, but I have to replace the tablets every 2 years.  I keep looking at the Steripen but it requires a battery, relatively clear water and a water bottle/container.You may want to keep a 4'x4' sheet of clear plastic to build an evaporation trap. A non-lubricated condom and a sock will make a good temporary water storage device for your emergency kit.  A black plastic garbage bag and a pillow case will allow you to make a 5-10 gallon water storage container in a pinch as well.If I have access to a fire and cooking pot, I will probably boil water as it provides for the greatest level of safety from bacterial and viral contaminants.AND how else would I make that rabbit stew? /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gif

#58 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for the advice, all tabs you have to replace every two years?  How do you like your smaller filter for something that is for you and possibly another person.  I will check out the larger one for the earthquake kit. I did not even think of the non lubricated condom and the trash bag for hasty water containers.
Posted Image

#59 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

I can't answer if all tablets have the same lifespan.  The chlorine dioxide have the best killing power of the various types but the tablets in blister packs need to be replaced every 2 years.  The bottles of chlorine dioxide tablets begin to degrade as soon at you open the cap, so I will stay with the individual blister packaging for now. In a separate thread, Jinx mentioned that he is using the Aquamura drops instead of the tablets.  He said that he uses a bandana to filter large crude from the water as he fills his water bottle.  I don't know the stability of the drops vs the tablets.I don't own small filter, like the Frontier straw.  The Seychelles filter part of a bottle system and is for individual use. You fill the bottle with water and draw water from the bottle (through the filter) to drink purified water.  If you are looking to take care of a couple of people, the advantage of the tablets is one can prepare individual water bottles for each member of a team and the tablets are extremely small and light weight. I have 10 tablets in each of my first aid kits.You can also use the condoms to seal the end of your rifle barrel so insects and spiders don't clog them.  I remember when one of my friends bought a 100 pack box of condoms a few years back.  He was quite proud of himself but that's for another story...     /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gif

#60 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

Wow 100 now thats a task haha. I will look into those tablets, I was just looking at some things for camping and the survival packs.  Thanks Archangel! These keep popping on my Amazon when I search.  Thoughts? http://www.amazon.com/Potable-Aqua-Water-Treatment-Tablets/dp/B001949TKS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3JOPQ45HFQ9F5&colid=3GBRMIB95GD86
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users