• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

Saw this one too http://www.discountfilterstore.com/water-filtration-system-katadyn-vario.html?fsource=amazonproductads
Posted Image

"Dream is if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today" - James Dean

#62 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

I bought a Katadyn Hiker pump filter since I want to be able to filter a lot of water quickly with little effort, particularly since I pretty much never leave the house without a Camelbak or 32oz Wide-Mouth Nalgene bottle. It comes in a nice little zippered pouch to keep it organized, is small and light enough to not be a burden, and is priced fairly reasonably in my opinion. The best part is that it can filter up to 200 gallons before needing a filter cartridge replacement (oh yeah, the filter is replaceable so you are not constantly throwing away the whole product). For an actual Emergency/Bug Out situation I think longevity of use like that would be one of the most important things to consider. It would be a good idea to have other options, but personally I would rely on the Hiker and/or boiling rather than a bunch of continually deteriorating chemicals. I bought mine from http://beprepared.co........ter Filter . At the time it was on sale and came with a blue 32oz Wide-Mouth bottle but that was a while ago.

#63 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

Nice!!  Thank you Scuba CN not a bad price for it and I like that you can replace the filter and it lasts for up to 200 gallons of filtration before being replaced.
Posted Image

#64 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

Hey Matt,Something to think about.I took my son on a 12 mile, 7 hour hike up a local mountain yesterday.  We were testing out some new gear as I wanted to experiment to see what I really wanted to carry on strenuous hikes.  It was a tough 2000 ft climb with a rough trail over 1/3 of it.  I carried a 20-25 lb pack including roughtly 8 lbs of water (3L Osprey + 1 L of gatorade).  We took 6 liters of fluid total and drank it all shortly after reaching the top.  That left us with roughly 2.5 hours without water on a difficult trail coming down.  There was a small amount of running water from the spring rains, but it will be gone in a month.  I did not collect and purify the water.  However, I sucked down 1.5L of water in a matter of minutes when we got back to the car. A few lessons learned:1) 6 liters was not enough water under strenuous exercise for the two of us, in 75 degree but dry weather.  I burned 5000 calories with a max heart rate of 170 and mean heart rate of 138 over 6:52 hours.2) I need to lighten my loadout significantly and either carry more water or find ways to purify it quickly and easily. 3) Water tablets should take ~30 minutes to decontaminate a water supply vs set up time for a filter.  Water tablets are generally lighter than a filter system.  If you are day hiking, backup water tabs might make sense.  If backpacking, a filter might be better as you can easily refill a camelback. 4) I need to rethink my water storage equipment.  While I like the 3L Osprey hydration pack, I'm thinking that an additional 1L patypus container as a backup water bag plus a 1L water bottle to prepare water is my next experiment.5) I will replace my son's 2L hydration pack with a 3L system and use the 2L for short hikes.6) watch the weight that you are carrying.Hope this helps.

#65 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience.  Water does go very fast and is the most important.  I have done the shorter hikes, also backpacking, and carrying the heavy loaded rucks on foot marches.  Carrying that weight and being hot makes you burn through the water.   Good idea on the the tablet for shorter hikes, and the filer for backpacking.
Posted Image

#66 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

Have any of you guys used the Jetboil before?  A coworker of mine told me about it, he said he loves it.  Great quality, compact as everything fits inside the cut, and cooks things fast. http://www.amazon.com/Jetboil-Zip-Cooking-System-Black/dp/B004UVPDUM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=INXGA1BMILVJ&colid=3GBRMIB95GD86
Posted Image

#67 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

Should be a good backpacking stove if that is what you are looking for.  As I remember, it uses propane cartridges and is not multi-fuel.

#68 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

what are the differences between the two? Once the can is on are you stuck with it on until the fuel runs out or can you take it off and put it back on?
Posted Image

#69 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

Matt,It believe it uses a dedicated fuel source which is fine when you have access to fuel canisters.  Other liquid fuel stoves may offer multi-fuel capabilities.  If you have white gas (camp stove fuel) or even 87 octane gasoline, you can still operate the stove.  When you run out of propane canisters, you're left with packing the empty canister out.

#70 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

Do you have any recommendations for others that I can look at with the other fuel sources? Thank you by the way.
Posted Image

#71 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

I don't carry a backpacking stove.  My right knee is shot, so no more heavy duty backpacking.   I do keep an Elbit and some fuel tablets in my emergency kit, plus we camp with an old Colman stove with typical camping pots and pans.The MSR WhisperLite has a pretty good rep and can use 4 different liquid fuels.  http://www.rei.com/p...tove#reviewsYou can also carry a bottle of alcohol and make a stove out of an old tin can.  Propane canisters can make it easy, but you can't refill them and I personally would prefer a refillable fuel canister.  Others may have better solutions than I can offer.

#72 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

Looks like I might have to try out a few different options and see what I like the best depending on application and use.  Thank you Archangel, and that is a bummer with your knee bro.
Posted Image

#73 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

Matt, I bought an MSR Pocket Rocket for when I start backpacking. Costs $40 from REI, uses isobutane-propane canisters (like the JetBoil) and only weighs 3 ounces without the canister. To use you screw it onto the canister, turn it on and light it. After it is cool you unscrew it and stow it. As Archangel mentioned about the Jetboil once the fuel canister is empty that's it; the Pocket Rocket doesn't use other fuel sources so it's good to have a backup (mine is currently Trioxane fuel/fire starting bars). Another critique is that it will have a high center of gravity so make sure the canister is set firmly on a flat surface before firing up. I haven't actually used mine for backpacking yet but it worked great for the 5 days we were without power during the autumn snowstorm this past year. For size and weight I think it's a great option, but definitely lacking if you want flexibility in what fuels you can use.

#74 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

Scuba,  Thank you for the feed back!  The pocket rocket(totally makes me think a sex toy HAHA) is like the Jetboil though where when the fuel runs out you will still have to carry the canister, but is just a lighter package?  Making sure I understood you correctly.  One thing I liked with the Jetboil is everything can fit back into the canister after, minus any extra fuel canisters of course.  Been looking for a few different things.  While it is more expensive the MSR Universal looked pretty awesome with being able to use their canister and unleaded fuel.  Comes with the different jets and the pressurizer, thinking that would make good for the big survival bag, as fuel is easier to run by and you can keep refilling the canister.  But for backpacking thinking the Jetboil or a smaller compact burner like the Pocket Rocket.  If I did something different than the Jetboil, it would not be as compact of a package but can make due and still pack tight. Just the thoughts that I have been thinking about based on size, weight, situation/application and price.
Posted Image

#75 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:09 AM

Matt_h said:

Looks like I might have to try out a few different options and see what I like the best depending on application and use.  Thank you Archangel, and that is a bummer with your knee bro.

Definately check out the options and make a list of your priorities.  You will find the perfect solution for you.  I'll be interested to hear what you decide.The knee has been a problem since the early-80s, caused by sports injuries.  The next step is a complete knee replacement but I am still too young. 

#76 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:35 AM

Ouch man no fun, they will not do it until you are older? I will keep you guys posted, I think for backpacking/camping I am going to get the Jetboil since it will just be myself and another person using it.  Then check out the MSR later for another option and if I start doing higher elevation, colder weather.
Posted Image

#77 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

Matt,You get 20 years per knee replacement and only two replacements.  My family typically lives into their 90s.  I don't want to be confined to a wheel chair in my 90's because my 2nd replacement knee wore out.If they can find a way to regrow cartilidge, I could have my ACL reattached without a knee replacement.  Fingers crossed here!The Jetboil system should be a fine solution.  Propane could be problematic at altitude so you may want to play with it.

#78 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

True with the altitude, that is why most say something like the MSR works better at higher elevation with an alternate fuel source. I will keep my fingers crossed for you on the cartilidge that would be awesome!  That makes sense with the knee replacement.  If anything by that time I am sure we will have a lot of medical advancements. 
Posted Image

#79 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:56 AM

Thanks for your thoughts.  When I first damaged the knee playing in a pickup basketball game, I thought that artificial cartilidge and ligaments were only 10 years away.  We've come a long way but not quite.Another thought.  You can also buy a JetBoil cup/pot and use it with other stoves.  It is a very cool design.

#80 Matt_h

Matt_h

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:24 AM

Very true the design is pretty awesome. I would not be surprised if it happens in the next 20 years.  They are already growing internal organs now so it seems like that would be in the future of it.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users