Photo

Holy crap. I'm hours away from being a daddy. What type of parenting EDC do you recommend?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Beelzububba

Beelzububba

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:30 AM

/wp-content/forum-smileys/anim_sex.gifSo, I'm sitting here in the hospital with my wife, who will be induced in about 14 hours.  As I'm checking out the ITS forums, it hits me...there is a wealth of knowledge here that I can tap.  Since I know there are other parents on here, I figured "why not?" So, what type of EDC baby stuff do/did you find essential?  I'll likely be lugging around a Maxpedition Mongo, so I will have ample room for all kinds of baby kit.  Already have:-changing pad/baby wipe kit-pacifier carrier-diapers-blanketMaybe this will be a fun and educational diversion for a few of us.  /wp-content/forum-smileys/anim_beer.gif
/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.png

"Attitude is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than what people do or say. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill." – W.C. Fields

#2 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:04 AM

Congrats!

#3 BAND-AID

BAND-AID

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:08 AM

No ecperience in this field sorry but congratulations are in order!! Do you know if its a boy or a girl yet?
Posted Image"invisible soles leave .308 holes"

#4 brockb

brockb

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:19 AM

• Hand Sanitizer
  • Formula Dispenser (if that's what you guys are doing)
Posted Image
  • Little packets of Kleenex for runny noses
That's about all of the top of my head besides what you already have.  If I think of it later I'll dig through our bag and see what I left out.  Congrats on the baby!!  I have a 6 month old little boy right now.  /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by Brockb, 27 February 2010 - 04:19 PM.

#5 Exitus acta probat

Exitus acta probat

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:43 PM

My daughter is now four months old. My wife and I bought quite a bit of gear for the baby.  Things that we absolutely have on hand at all times are diapers, baby wipes (a MUST!), baby blanket (and a spare), an extra outfit (because diapers do not always do the job), hand sanitizer, and since she is breastfed, extra bottles with breastmilk if I am staying home alone with her.  We eventually learned to pack the free diaper bag the hospital issued to us and leave it in the family car at all times.  That extra diaper bag remains in the car and is our "last ditch" bag.Our baby refuses the pacifier, so, for us, the pacifier is simply clutter.  Once you realize what the baby's basic needs are you will realize that alot of things are fluff.  I found everything easier than all of the horror stories underprepared parents tell or sticoms and movies lead you to believe. One more thing, a baby beanie...to help keep the kid warm.  You will also find that once in public "everyone" will want to touch the baby-even total strangers.  Don't let them and never be shy to ask them to use hand sanitizer- if they become offended too bad as the baby's health is more important than hurt feelings...
/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.pngExitus acta probat

#6 9chase26

9chase26

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

But if Junior does like a pacifier, better have three on hand.  Congrats!

PlankOwnerSignature.png "Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacre mercenaire"

#7 Teton Traveler

Teton Traveler

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:18 PM

Kind of an obvious one, but extra baby formula with a water bottle.  Even if the baby is breastfeeding, it doesn't hurt to have some extra formula as a back up to at least let the baby have something to eat if mom is not around. Congrats!
Posted Image

#8 Beelzububba

Beelzububba

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

Thanks, everybody!  We are about to turn in for the evening after a surprisingly relaxing few hours here in the hospital.  It is 11:30 and we are about 7 hours away from go-time.  And for those who asked, we are having a little girl.  She will be the first for both of us.  I'm very excited.  Any mroe ideas, feel free to post them here!Thanks again!-Adam
/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.png

"Attitude is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than what people do or say. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill." – W.C. Fields

#9 loki4606

loki4606

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

Congrats... Baby stuff, Advil for your head, tequila for wife and a new pistol just cause..

#10 Norman White

Norman White

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:50 AM

CONGRATULATIONSI agree with the more pacies the better.Don't know if you're wife would agree to it, but I found that a 2 day or 3 day pack works GREAT as a diaper bag.  When she get's older, you can switch to a sling bag or messenger bag without too much difficulty.ALWAYS carry at least 2 changes of extra clothes, extra pacifiers, extra water, extra baby wipes, a changing pad or two and something that a lot of people forget is a few disposable plastic bags and some gallon sized or larger zip lock baggies.The plastic bags are for if you're out, have to change the diaper and don't have the means to dispose of them immediately.  The zip lock baggies are for clothes that may become soiled or wet and you want to keep them separate.  They also make GREAT 'stink barriers' if you can't get rid of dirty diapers.Expect the first few weeks diapers to be non-stinky (at least our sons were that way).  After that though, a gas mask is recomended for safe diaper changing.  :)Keep one of those suction bulbs handy (the ones that help clear the nose) up through your daughters early years, they are a GREAT help in cleaning out their nose if it get's stuffy.Also, consider picking up one of those sling carriers for your daughter.  It'll go over your shoulder and waist and she'll hang just right for you to keep her warm, comfortable and comforted.As far as diapers are concerned, don't worry about buying the most expensive, you can get real nice 'generic Target' brand diapers for a little less.Sign up online for different coupons, etc to help save money in this department.Also, if you wife plans on breastfeeding, inquire about renting a breast pump instead of buying one (unless you're going to be having a bunch of kids).  Breast milk freezes quite nicely and keeps for quite a while.Some things to keep your newborn occupied isn't really necesarry except for something for her to suck on or gnaw on (baby stores have some great freeze it items for this).Again, congratulations and good luck.

Edited by Norman White, 01 March 2010 - 12:51 PM.

Posted ImageJust because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you…nAn unarmed person is a subject, an armed person is a citizen.nhttp://www.normanomicon.com

#11 Michael Adams

Michael Adams

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:34 PM

Congratulations!!!My kid's a teenager now but I remember wearing cargo pants with a "secret binky pocket". Always had snacks, diapers, spare clothes, liquids, a toy, favorite blanket and backups for all of the above.Maybe this will help: http://images.google...5CorusAO3tYmlAw

#12 Centurion

Centurion

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 69 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities Metro Area, MN

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

Congrats Adam! How is everything going with the little one?
Posted Image

#13 Kingkroupa

Kingkroupa

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:17 AM

I used a EOD Utility Bag from County Comm as my diaper bag.  It was just about the right size.  It actually has two pockets on the inside that are just the right size for diapers.I think the biggest mistake I made when I first starting carrying a diaper bag was brining too much stuff along.  Focus on the basics and learn what your kid wants/needs.  Diapers, wipes, grocery store bag or two to use as trash bags, bottles, onsie, and a toy was the most I ever carried.
Posted Image
tacticaltexan.wordpress.com
Keep up the good fight-Rob

#14 Amos

Amos

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:59 PM

Fill your trunk with plastic Walmart bags so you have somewhere to stash the poopy diapers. It is amazing what you think you will need and then by the time your kid is 6 months or so you have scaled down to pure golden essentials. Being a dad is the best thing I have ever done.Maxpediiton Bag (cause we are not giving our nuts away)Diapers (lots of them)Wipes (should out number the diapers)Handsanitizer (cause your wife is going to tunr into a germaphobe)And a special daddy toy that only you have access to so you get to be the favorite!!Good luck,Amos
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users