• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 TearsOfNorris

TearsOfNorris

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

Alright, nobody wants to rely on it in an emergency, but everybody has one, and I just finally joined those ranks after avoiding it for years.  So for as long as the battery lives and the screen is intact, what would you put on your iphone as a secondary survival aid? land nav? field guides? flashlights?  Mine is a blank slate right now. Also, I've been looking but have not found any apps that turn the iphone into a physical security alarm.   It has a microphone, camera, accelerometer, and a speaker built-in so it would be the perfect perimeter breach warning system to place by the door of a hotel room.  Anybody know of any apps like that?

#2 [email protected]

[email protected]

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

These are what I consider my EDC AppsArmy survival - Army field manual 21-76iTriage - Information on thousands of symptoms, health conditions and medical proceduresKnot Guide - The name says it allHikeMatePro - NavigationGroupSender - Sends a pre-written text message to a group of peopleMedicinalplants - The names says it all

#3 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

Here's what I have on my phone. I will preface this by saying that I have an android, not an iphone. 3D Compass Lite - Augmented Reality compass complete with google street map on the right half of the screen9-Line Medevac - 9-Line training app. Converts GPS location to MGRS. Ability to text or email completed 9-LineAltitude - self explanatory. Also contains a half-assed compass and speedometerHTC Flashlight - duh. 3 brightness settings.American Red Cross First Aid - Training and prep checklists for different scenarios. Emergency first aid instructions for different injuries/medical issues.GPS Status - Detailed look on quantity and quality of GPS signals you're synched to.KnotsGuide - Quite.Google Maps - NavigationScanner Radio - Monitor streaming first responder radio traffic. Has a function to list all nearby streaming feeds.U.S. Army Survival Guide - Electronic Army Survival TM. Included basic medicine, shelters, poisonous plans, etc.Facebook Messenger - You may laugh, but sometimes you're more likely to reach your friends/family via facebook than by phone or text.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#4 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:36 AM

I can't believe I didn't think of this before.  Being that my iPhone is part of my EDC it only makes sense to put things other than games and music apps on my iPhone =D So far on my list I have. iTriage (free, don't go without this one... it SHOULD be a paid app but is not)Knots 3D free (obviously free)HikeMate (free, pretty impressive free hiking app.  I'm considering buying the full version though there are some complaints)GroupSender (0.99, but a good app just in case you need to send out an emergency request to a large group)Flashlight (free, a fast easy to use flashlight app, dimable, strobe and flashlight)Police Scanner Free (free, live radio feeds from police, firefighters, aircraft, railroad, marine, HAM and emergency radio) Other than that I'm having difficulty finding a decent US Army Survival Guide that is free.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#5 [email protected]

[email protected]

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:34 AM

Yeah it has taken me some time to weed out the good apps from the bad apps.  but I think I now have a good set of EDC apps. 

#6 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

DStevenson said:

Other than that I'm having difficulty finding a decent US Army Survival Guide that is free.

The one I listed isn't too bad. Each chapter is basically a drop-down so you aren't stuck flipping through a bunch of pages to get to what you need. If you want to look up poisonous plans, just click "poisonous plants", need mountain survival? Just tap it to open.

#7 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Thanks! Got it... Not sure how I missed this one, all the ones that kept pulling up were paid apps.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#8 CENTCOMSurvivor

CENTCOMSurvivor

Down Wit' Da Hui

• 948 posts
  • LocationTampa/St Petersburg Florida

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

I'm digging that 9-Line. The MGRS conversion is pretty trick.
Posted Image

#9 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

Yeah I like messing around with it on my phone. Hope I never have to use it for any actual emergency, though. In any event, it's good practice.

#10 FlashBack

FlashBack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 105 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:45 AM

Thanks for the great list...added a few to my phone...3D Knots/ArmyManual/9Line
Posted Image
Disarming Victims Doesn't Solve Crime.

#11 Stubs

Stubs

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

Heres my Current list of Apps:

Flashlight (Duh)
SAS Survival Guide (decent guide)
SeeCompass (Great Compass)
Alarm Rebel (great alarm way better than the Normal Iphone alarm)
CMC Rescue Guide (Great Rigging and Knot Info)
ITriage
IfirstAid Lite
FEMA (great for keeping up with disasters)
Yellow and White Pages
Wunderground (weather)
Google Earth

On top of that I keep a few good PDF's on there and I use Chrome as my web interface (links all my computer, phone and Ipad together)
  • SilentP likes this

#12 wwade63

wwade63

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:30 AM

Here are a few that use:
Flahslight
Shottimer (Surefire version)
bulletFlight
Small Arms
Tactical NAV
Theodolite (I think Brian did a write up on this one)
Carpenter
ITS Tactical (of course)

I like the idea of survial and medical information, the 9 line would be handy. A TCCC app with 9 line imbedded would good to have. I'll be looking into those in the next few days. I have a digital Ranger Handbook... I need figure out how to get that on my iPod... not sure how I feel about that though, I do like my ratty paper version.

Edited by wwade63, 19 October 2012 - 03:30 AM.

Posted Image

#13 assasinationday

assasinationday

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

Alright, nobody wants to rely on it in an emergency...

Yep. I would imagine that in a large regional or nationwide emergency the cell phone networks would probably crash.

So for as long as the battery lives and the screen is intact

I thought about this, having a working cell phone but no network. I went ahead and copied sections of maps from Google between where I work and where I live and uploaded them to my phone's gallery. So, I have detailed maps stored in my phone's memory that I can access without a network connection. Getting home to the wife and kid is always my #1 priority. If the highways or main roadways are choked with traffic, or God knows what else, I know I have options. In addition, I can find bodies of water to refill my empty bottles.

#14 Nathan Neff

Nathan Neff

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 29 posts
  • LocationRockwall, TX

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

The bullet flight app is BOSS!!!!
"I'm a big fan of face shooting, there is nothing on earth human or wild beast that cannot be easily swayed by a well placed face shot."
crew leader.jpg

#15 Condition Write

Condition Write

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationThe Hills of Kentuckistan

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

In addition to some of the stuff already mentioned, I have a HAZMAT response guide app. Always good for decoding placards and knowing how far upwind to run.

Also, for keeping the power up: GoalZero Guide 10 kit. I don't go on the road without mine. Direct-charging the phone is a bit iffy, though, because of the iPhone's current-sensitivity. I prefer to use the panel to charge a 4xAA battery pack during the day, then charge the phone off the battery pack at night.
  • nkjarrett likes this
The pen is not mightier than the sword. If a man has a sword, he can make a man with a pen write anything he wants.

The answer, then, is to have a pen and a sword.

#16 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

In addition to some of the stuff already mentioned, I have a HAZMAT response guide app. Always good for decoding placards and knowing how far upwind to run.

Also, for keeping the power up: GoalZero Guide 10 kit. I don't go on the road without mine. Direct-charging the phone is a bit iffy, though, because of the iPhone's current-sensitivity. I prefer to use the panel to charge a 4xAA battery pack during the day, then charge the phone off the battery pack at night.

WOW, that is sweet!
Posted Image

#17 viroid

viroid

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

Yep. I would imagine that in a large regional or nationwide emergency the cell phone networks would probably crash.

Even if it doesn't 'go down', as seen with 9/11, there may be so many people trying to make calls that it renderes the system(s) unusable. Someone I know says that have an access code for the cellular system that gives them priority and allows them to make phone calls during events like this.

...v

#18 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

Even if it doesn't 'go down', as seen with 9/11, there may be so many people trying to make calls that it renderes the system(s) unusable. Someone I know says that have an access code for the cellular system that gives them priority and allows them to make phone calls during events like this.

...v

But its an Iphone

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#19 michael star

michael star

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Something else to think about, games for a morale booster. Both single and multiplayer games, just make sure you have a way to charge the battery.

#20 xscamerashyy

xscamerashyy

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 18 posts
  • LocationPeoples Republic of California

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

View Ranger! and a GOOD weather update that pulls from the NWS is never a bad idea.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users