30 replies to this topic

#21 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Thanks to Condition Write's solar recharger post:GoalZero Guide 10 kit, I was able to put together a fairly good option coupled with my iPad3 to keep the GPS maps up and running. According to the documentation, you don't need to jailbreak your iPad or iPhone and it's compatible with most GPS enabled App store apps.

Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver
Posted Image

#22 TearsOfNorris

TearsOfNorris

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Here's another one to add to the list:

http://theiscope.com/wordpress/

#23 ccushway

ccushway

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFort St. John, Canada

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

I have several social media apps ( people start twittering / facebooking before they call first responders sometimes )

TacNav - Simple nav stuff... flashlight

Theodolite - Theodolite is a multi-function augmented reality app that combines a compass, GPS, map, photo/movie camera, rangefinder, and two-axis inclinometer. Theodolite overlays real time information about position, altitude, bearing, range, and inclination on the iPhone’s live camera image, like an electronic viewfinder.

Posted Image

#24 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

Eric S. did an excellent writeup on the Theodolite app on ITS here.
  • ccushway likes this

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#25 H46USNAC

H46USNAC

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Here are a few that I find useful:

Weatherbug Elite

iMap WeatherRadio by Weather Decision Technologies

Carpenter by iHandy inc

Stopwatch & Timer by Skypaw Co

Free Call with Magic Jack by Magic Jack ( make calls over the Internet )

Flashlight by i4software ( simple instant-on, no frills flashlight. Have had this n my iPhone for years and it keeps a place on my home screen )

iLlumination by Eric Storli ( another flashlight app with several modes including Morse Code and strobe. Used the strobe function to help my nephew locate my wife and I in a crowded arena concert setting. He spotted us from across the arena, up in the nosebleed section in seconds because of the strobe going off )

SplashID by Splashdata ( password/data security manager that encrypts data with 256-bit Blowfish encryption. Generates random passwords and usernames for the ultimate security, synchronizes to desktop version so that, husband & wife for example, have all the passwords in the event of an emergency ) have used this for years ( since back in the Palm Pilot days. GREAT APP ). I truly couldn't even tell you my password to ITS if a gun was put to my head yet it only takes me seconds to get to it, copy it and paste it. That even defeats keystroke loggers ( talk about OPSEC! )

Find iPhone by Apple ( helps locate missing iPhone/iPad if ever lost or stolen. Can even be used to remotely wipe the device.

Find My Friends by Apple ( Social networking app to see where your friends are. I have it on mine and my wife's iPhones so that I can see where her iPhone is if something were to ever happen to her and she went missing. It would at least give me an idea where to start looking. She is also VERY directionally challenged and if she gets lost tends to get panicky. I can use this app to see where she is if her car were to breakdown and she couldn't tell me where she is ) Be cautious however, this app does have "stalker" written all over it if your daughter were to ever let the boyfriend of the week have permission to "find" her, or if you are ip to no good and tell the wife or SO that you are working late; she just might want to know what your iphone was doing at the local No-tell Motel instead of at the office. Unfortunately, with any good technology, it has the potential for abuse.

Pillboxie by Jared Sinclair ( great reminder app for taking meds to controll the voices in my head. Oh wait, I wasn't supposed to say that was I? Yes you were, no I wasn't!, oh never mind just tell them to get the damn app )

PhotoSync by touchbyte GimbH ( transfer photos/videos between iPhones, iPads, Mac or PC's over WiFi or between iPhones and iPads via Bluetooth if WiFi not available.

Army Survival by Double Dog Studios Army Survival field manual

CMC Rescue Guide by CMC Rescue Inc ( some good reading/reference )

BootPrint by Leland Roys ( tracks cell tower locations in case you need to backtrack with no cell service )

Pro Compass by Hunter Research and Technology ( the same folks who did the Theodolite app reviewed on ITS )

Theodolite by Hunter Research and Technology ( haven't layer with this much yet but it looks promising )

BS Button by DollTV ( because sometimes you just gotta call BS on some deserving individual )

Edited by H46USNAC, 01 January 2013 - 08:25 AM.

A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse.

#26 TearsOfNorris

TearsOfNorris

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

[Apologies in advance for the Smirnoff-ism]

While it is nice to be able to use an app to track a lost phone (or lost spouse), don't forget that in Soviet Russia, lost phone app tracks you!

A smart phone is a radio, computer, camera, microphone, and GPS all rolled into one handy little device. A lot of that data is accessible via the internet, especially if you are running certain apps. To make things worse, your cell carrier can (and does) remotely modify firmware on your phone at any time without your permission, possibly introducing new security vulnerabilities in the firmware with each update. If the cell company can modify your phone, so can anyone else who knows how to spoof the system. Imagine what someone might learn about you by quietly hijacking that little microphone on your hip!

Well, that's the extreme paranoia version. What is much more likely is that you may be affected by some security bug in an app which allows someone to track you over the net. A vulnerability doesn't even have to be on your phone if your position data is transmitted to some third-party service in the cloud. Because of this, my recommendation is to leave "location services" off when you don't need them.
  • H46USNAC likes this

#27 H46USNAC

H46USNAC

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

TearsOfNorris,

Solid advice man. Thanks for reminding us all about how these wonderful devices, like any other technology, have the potential to be used against us.
A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse.

#28 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

For all you iPhone users I am giving away a Magpul iPhone 4 and Magpul iPhone 3G case in Flat Dark Earth.
Check the forum thread here: http://itstactical.c...age__hl__iphone
  • iExpresso likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#29 NikkuSan7

NikkuSan7

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

Odd one someone might not consider as a "survival" app, but I find having a simple astronomy app on a phone to be very useful. Not many people know how to navigate by the stars or really understand how the night sky work. It's all a bunch of "oooo, pretty stars" for most. Great thing about most astronomy apps is they show you the constellations in their correct place in the sky at your local time based on your location and its show in relation to a plane with north, south, east, and west indicated. So if for some odd reason you lost your compass and need a bearing at night (or in my case it got magnetized) and you want a way to double check the compass app you downloaded, an astronomy app is a great way to double check, be it day or night (daytime will show the suns location).

At the very least its fun and educational too. Food for thought. :)

#30 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Validating
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

I have on my iPhone an app called Qikvideo. It lets me take videos and then automatically (as soon as the recording is over) uploads them to the Qik Video's servers. This means your evidence survives the confiscation or destruction of the phone. Useful in situations where you need to get the word out about something.
  • LongHaul likes this

#31 SKD_Tactical

SKD_Tactical

Salty Dog

• ITS Sponsor
  • 529 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

Any updates on an MGRS land nav type app? I went to buy the Tactical Nav app, but the recent reviews have not been good. I'm waiting for the Fenix or Ambit to have better battery life before I foot the bill for a new GPS, so for now it's my phone or a DAGR.

SOS
Visit us at www.skdtac.com
& www.facebook.com/skdtactical
With Skill, Knowledge and Determination... You Will Prevail!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users