• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 John Butler

John Butler

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'v been looking for a reliable dealer/manufacturer that will sell level IV rifle plates to civilians. Soft armor is no problem finding but i just cant seem to find anywhere reputable to buy rifle plates that will sell to a Civ. Any help would be appreciated!

#2 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

I thought bulletproofme sold to civ?
Posted Image

#3 John Butler

John Butler

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

jinx667 said I thought bulletproofme sold to civ?

Never bought from them or dealt with anyone who has. Thanks for the tip!

#4 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

They are good to go. I know a lot of guys on Arfcom buy from them, and I ordered a set of their test armor to shoot a few times.
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#5 xscamerashyy

xscamerashyy

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 18 posts
  • LocationPeoples Republic of California

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

+1 for bulletproofme.com
sell the civilians and good pricing. have bought from them before myself
Posted Image

#6 Stephen Douglass

Stephen Douglass

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

I believe that some companies, such as Palm Industries (US PALM), will sell to civilians if you can provide documentation of clearance (such as security professional) or need, or are able to show a cleared civilian background such as a CCW, letter of criminal history provided by local LEO.

Some states such as No York ( nope, I spelled it right) and Connecticut have restrictions on import, carry, and form for armor. I think Connecticut is currently the only state which does not allow civilians to have, hold, possess, think about, own, order, import, or dream of armor in any form. In most states you cannot have it if you are a felon. No York has import, transport, and wear restrictions. They've tried several times to ban it outright and thankfully enough Senator's had the sense to vote it down.

Before risking your 000, make sure you can legally own armor. Ultimately, the risk to personal protection should be weighed against that of overstepping a law, and for every law, there are always exceptions, it simply knowing where to look.

#7 Stephen Douglass

Stephen Douglass

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

I was just wondering, needing to replace some of my soft armor on my concealed carrier, if anyone has knowledge of some newer armor on the market.

I have been looking at Carbon Nanotube in II & IIIa for front/back and side protection. From what I have been reading, it is supposed to be lighter, more flexible and much thinner than that of Kevlar or Dyneema. I currently run a Kevlar center strike soft plate IIIa with a Dyneema puncture resistant "U" plate overlay (IIa). This makes it heavy, obvious under my shirt, and not all that flexible. Any thoughts?

I would consider also replacing the carrier itself, as the one I currently own is 100% polyester and doesn't breath. I don't have it on all day every day, but in the heat of July and August, I don't want it on any longer that necessary. I've looked at Cool-Max, mesh interface, and cotton. I have spoken to a few LEO's I know and trust for their thoughts, as these guy's tend to be in them 12 or more hours a day. The trouble now is that if I ask 10 people in a room, I get 10 very differing answers.

#8 sealh82

sealh82

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

I bought soft armor and plates from SKDTAC.com before. If I remeber correctly, they needed a copy of CCW permit and have an affidavit form you have fill out and be notarized before they will sell you armor.

#9 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

I bought soft armor and plates from SKDTAC.com before. If I remeber correctly, they needed a copy of CCW permit and have an affidavit form you have fill out and be notarized before they will sell you armor.

I believe you have to just send a copy of your CCW permit, military ID or fill out the form. Just some way to prove you aren't a felon or metally ill and can legally own those items

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#10 sealh82

sealh82

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

Here is the link to the body armor sales policy for SKDTAC.com for all who are interested. http://www.skdtac.co...olicy_a/165.htm

#11 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

AR500 armor is a good cheap option.
  • mangeface likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#12 martin bishop

martin bishop

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:06 PM

I believe that some companies, such as Palm Industries (US PALM), will sell to civilians if you can provide documentation of clearance (such as security professional) or need, or are able to show a cleared civilian background such as a CCW, letter of criminal history provided by local LEO.

Some states such as No York ( nope, I spelled it right) and Connecticut have restrictions on import, carry, and form for armor. I think Connecticut is currently the only state which does not allow civilians to have, hold, possess, think about, own, order, import, or dream of armor in any form. In most states you cannot have it if you are a felon. No York has import, transport, and wear restrictions. They've tried several times to ban it outright and thankfully enough Senator's had the sense to vote it down.

Before risking your 000, make sure you can legally own armor. Ultimately, the risk to personal protection should be weighed against that of overstepping a law, and for every law, there are always exceptions, it simply knowing where to look.

Your misrepresenting the law in NY. You cannot purchase armor in NY if you are a Felon or otherwise prohibited person (mentally Ill). Otherwise armor is only illegal if used in the commission of a crime.

If you cant legally own armor and your not in CT you really have no business on this forum either I would think.

#13 Dabster

Dabster

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:40 PM

Highcom is a good source for plates. I had some questions before I purchased and they answered them quickly, clearly and politely. The plates shipped quickly and were packed really well. If I needed more I would buy from them again. I may have a coupon code if anyone is interested.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

D

PS: Ceramic plates are so much better than steel.

#14 davebass

davebass

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 45 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:29 PM

Hears a link to an AR500 level IV plate, but why would you even want to wear such? 

http://www.lapoliceg...UjysaAjA08P8HAQ

Body Armor for CCW??? I think that would be stretching the norm A LOT... Some things you might want to keep in mind; 1. If you find your self in a situation (very unlikely) the SA is going to have a field day with you, it would look like you went looking for trouble. 2. It's not conferrable at all and most that wear it, do so because their at higher then normal risk of being in a situation.      

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#15 Dabster

Dabster

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:10 PM

Hears a link to an AR500 level IV plate, but why would you even want to wear such? 

http://www.lapoliceg...UjysaAjA08P8HAQ

Body Armor for CCW??? I think that would be stretching the norm A LOT... Some things you might want to keep in mind; 1. If you find your self in a situation (very unlikely) the SA is going to have a field day with you, it would look like you went looking for trouble. 2. It's not conferrable at all and most that wear it, do so because their at higher then normal risk of being in a situation.      

I don't think anyone is advocating level IV plates for CCW. CCW has come up a few times because the vendors use a CCW or a passport to verify legal standing &/or citizenship.

​I have mine for SHTF and because some classes have recommended bringing one. (Editng to add) They're also a great place to store magazines and an IFAK.

Edited by Dabster, 24 September 2015 - 01:12 PM.

• davebass likes this

#16 davebass

davebass

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 45 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:11 PM

I don't think anyone is advocating level IV plates for CCW. CCW has come up a few times because the vendors use a CCW or a passport to verify legal standing &/or citizenship.

​I have mine for SHTF and because some classes have recommended bringing one. (Editng to add) They're also a great place to store magazines and an IFAK.

Got ya!!! Thanks... 

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#17 hatfeet

hatfeet

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:53 PM

Armour-wear for a budget option (NIJ 05)
Midwest Armor for top of the line (NIJ 06)
I wear Midwest Armor plates personally, and am planning to get a second set from Armour-wear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users