• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:23 AM

I have a small EDC knife that I keep on me for small tasks but I wouldn't want my life to depend on it.So with that I am shopping for a new EDC knife. Budget isn't really an issue but I don't want to spend $200.00 on an EDC knife when a $50.00 knife will work just as well.CRKT looks like they make decent knives that are pretty cheap but typically cheap = poor quality. Can someone give me some feedback on their personal experiences?Benchmade is a little pricier than CRKT but doesn't look any better built, any feedback on Benchmade?ZT again is more expensive but if they are better knives it would be worth the money.With blades, I prefer the look of the Tanto style blades, any reason not to go with a Tanto style?Will I see a big difference in how long a knife stays sharp when comparing Blade "A" to Blade "B"?What size blade would you recommend?If you could carry any knife which one would it be?I would like to go with American Made but I am willing to check out others if they blow me away.
  • BLACK likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#2 Mustang0268

Mustang0268

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

Like selecting a sidearm, I would recommend you try and find a knife that you can open one-handed to start with. Some like thumb holes (e.g. Spyderco) while others prefer thumb studs. With that said, there are a great deal of varieties and opinions. I would suggest deciding on criteria, then look into brand. Some considerations might be:Weight, blade length, blade material (e.g. stainless is good for civilian EDC, too shiny for sandbox), blade metallurgy, handle composition, and so on. One other factor that you need to consider regarding blade composition, is how sharp do you keep your blade? Some materials handle constant sharpening, others do not, etc., etc.The tanto-style blade is an armor-piercing grind, and while it looks good it is sometimes more challenging to cut certain day-to-day task with, and to sharpen.In closing, there are many fine American made, sub-$200 folders out there.Good luckMustang
Posted Image

#3 river

river

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 21 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

I understand the thoughtline of not desiring to spend a nunch of money on a knife when a cheaper one will do the same.Looks at Emerson knives if nothing else. Excellent reputation, customer service and selection. They have some in your price range and having carried Emerson for EDC...I recommend them wholeheartedly.I spend more than the $200. It is a choice which was not easy at first but now is. Look at the maker of the knife and their craftsmanship. I lean on carrying Hinderer knives for a solid reason...I can rely on them without a second thought. Hinderer is a former fireman who got tired of knives breaking on him in the field under duress. He designed a knife, XM-18, which can take a beating. I know... I have done things to my knife which have broke others...and then went back and did them again with confidence. As for steels which stay sharp, S30V has done me well. There is a bunch of other steels which are very nice at keeping an edge. This again will drive the price of a knife up. That being said...we ALL have our line in the sand as to where we will say "That is tooooo much money." Very respectable decision. Buddy of mine loves his tradition folders with no locks. More power to him but they cost too much for me because I tend to cut myself with them or break them. Anyway. Just my humble 2 cents worth...and probably not enough caffeine in my system for playing on forums on a Monday morning.

#4 langston302

langston302

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

I have been rocking Spyderco knives since the early 90's. The price range for them is from 20-500 bucks. I routinely carry a Ti Military and a Gen 1 Para Military off duty, and an Al Mar SERE 2000 and Custom Delica4 50/50 on duty.I have been collecting and carrying knoves for close to 25 years, I have had almost every major brand and a ton of smaller brands and customs. I have had Hinderer, Coye, Martin, Randall, Strider ,Spyderco, Reeve....the list is nearly endless for me. I narrowed what I like and carry that. Its never a question of money for a knife I trust to work when I need it too. I understand budgetary constraints and respect that. I have found that there are so many choices out there now that I cant even keep up anymore, its really come down to picking what you like and having a go.
Posted Image Posted Image

#5 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

I may have stated my constraints incorrectly.I don't have any budget restraints I just don't want to spend $200.00 on a knife when I can spend $50.00 on the same knife with a different brand stamp on it.It looks like on average the cost for a decent knife is around $200.00 and Hinderer always seems to top my list and there are a lot of sharp (no pun intended) looking knives in that range.I'll peek at Spyderco again but the couple that I saw had some pretty radical shapes and I just never inspected their line past those.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

#6 Kurt Schneider

Kurt Schneider

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 6 posts
  • LocationDeep in the Heart of Texas

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

FWIW: I carry two knives. One is a Spyderco Byrd serrated hawkbill for utility work; the other is a Cold Steel AK47. The hawkbill is handy for cutting rope, opening boxes, etc, and sits deep in my pocket. I'm still undecided if the hooked blade is an advantage or a disadvantage.

The Cold Steel is primarily a weapon, although I have used it for heavy utilitarian chores. I chose it because it always opens when pulled out of the pocket. It's also a pretty beefy knife, and I'm a pretty big guy.

#7 j.k.chan24

j.k.chan24

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

I have three Benchmade knives (Mini-Griptilian, Mini-Barrage and a Nimravus) and to be quite honest, I have BARELY used them. I think for me, I baby those knives due to cost while I mainly EDC my Spyderco's and that's it.

On a side note, I plan on getting an Emerson after Xmas shopping is done. We'll see if I EDC that equally.
Posted Image

#8 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:51 AM

I ended up settling on a knife that was pretty inexpensive and got good overall reviews.
I have not heard anything negative about Kershaw knives and it was $15.00 on a clearance website (Woot.com).
I figure since I don't always have one in my pocket it made for a good starter EDC knife. But if history is my guide it won't be long before I WAY overspend on something I really like.

#9 Musashi

Musashi

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 30 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Kershaw's are nice for the money, especially at that price. I have an Ken Onion Leek that works well but my EDC is my Spyderco Native.
You made a good choice.
:up:

#10 Klarktx

Klarktx

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 226 posts
  • LocationFlowery Branch, Ga

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

I have ALOT of EDC knives. I carry a selection Gerber's, a few Benchmades, I own a Spyderco and a few custom brands.

I'm never that rough on my folders. Generally small and simple tasks. I have a Busse or sometimes my ESEE with me in my backpack or somewhere nearby for the heavy lifting.

Don't blow the bank on EDC's. Stick in the $50-70 range and leave room for several m

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#11 AcidJoker

AcidJoker

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:40 AM

I have 3 knives for my edc ( turnover)

1st Spyderco CAT ( i don't know the usd price i paid 50euros)
2nd Benchmade Minigriptilian sheephoof ( 90 euros)
3rd Strider pt (300$)

I love those knives, super great for an urban EDC

#12 assasinationday

assasinationday

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

In terms of a quality blade, Mora Knives are not only cheap but they're fantastic. I own a couple of these and would definitely recommend them. The blade is a little too long for an urban EDC though.

My EDC is a $30 Ka Bar Becker Necker wrapped in paracord (blade is no bigger than the palm of my hand) and a $70 Leatherman Skeletool with the extra bit drivers, which cost an additonal $20.

#13 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

I ended up settling on a knife that was pretty inexpensive and got good overall reviews.
I have not heard anything negative about Kershaw knives and it was $15.00 on a clearance website (Woot.com).
I figure since I don't always have one in my pocket it made for a good starter EDC knife. But if history is my guide it won't be long before I WAY overspend on something I really like.

Did you get the Kershaw Vapor III? I saw that special, and figured that at $10 a pop (plus shipping) I couldn't say no. I got a serrated one for me, and a straight blade for my wife. It's light, sharp, and the matte stainless look doesn't scream out "tactical".
  • DStevenson likes this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#14 WolfGrey

WolfGrey

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNEPA

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

Emersons are most definetly worth the money!! :headbang:
  • river likes this
Posted Image

#15 surfandsummit

surfandsummit

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNewport, Oregon

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

I have carried CRKT's for a couple years, both the M21-14SF and the M16-14SF. I liked them just fine, and they performed well initially, but didn't really hold up to my use. I work around salt water, and they corroded extremely easily. I also had problems with fasteners backing out. I keep one on my LE belt at work, and the other in my B.O.B., and have since started carrying a ZT 0200st. Absolutely recommend it, haven't had any problems.

#16 renomax

renomax

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 53 posts
  • Locationcentral oklahoma

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

I am in work in construction and have always EDC a blade of some kind . I carry a spyderco folder and an esee 4 that are used for anything from scoring drywall to splitting shims. esee can handle anything you throw at them plus lifetime warranty.

#17 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

Did you get the Kershaw Vapor III? I saw that special, and figured that at $10 a pop (plus shipping) I couldn't say no. I got a serrated one for me, and a straight blade for my wife. It's light, sharp, and the matte stainless look doesn't scream out "tactical".

Yes I did get one, and I'll probably grab the serrated one next time it comes up. I'll be sure to post it when I catch it.

I have one knife ready to be painted FDE, if I grab a second Vapor III I'll definitely paint that one too more out of curiosity.

#18 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

I've been carrying the Doug Ritter RSK Mk1 for a little over 4 years now. I think it's a great EDC knife. I've used if for hiking, rafting, hunting, and working around the house. It's got a pretty heavy blade, a drop point, and an axis lock that seems very strong. I've never had any problems with it. They are produced by Benchmade. Here's a pic that I pulled off the web.

Posted Image

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#19 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

I think that is a great looking knife. I love the flat grey blade.

#20 michael star

michael star

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

I use a gerber paraframe. It is pretty small and lightweight, easy to slip in the pocket, and $11 at Walmart if I lose it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users