• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 NikkuSan7

NikkuSan7

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

Kershaw Leek most days, but if I need something heavier it is the Blur. Love the Ken Onion knives, and they are affordable and solid as hell. The Leek is strictly a utility knife, but it's razor sharp and holds a great edge, more of a tool than a weapon. The Blur has some heft and could serve as a backup weapon, though, I don't relish the idea of knife fighting. Too close for me. Knives for me are tools primarily. If I am knife fighting, it means I am out of ammunition and can't run.

I'm a fan of the Kershaw knives, particularly the Ken Onion series. I carry the Scallion on me and have yet to be dissapointed. Never had a blade before that kept an edge like this one does and I beat the hell out of it!
  • NateX likes this

#42 pnc

pnc

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

I'm a big fan of Benchmade. After picking up a 580 a few years ago & putting it through its paces I have zero complaints. Came with a decent factory edge that was easily modified to a slightly different geometry. The Axis locking mechanism is by far my favorite feature. If you decide to shell out the cash for one, my only advice is to inspect grip panel/handle materials - most are excellent micarda/G10/composite, but my personal older model has plastic ( maybe time to try a do it yourself stipling project on my end).

#43 Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPenn's Woods

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

I have a small EDC knife that I keep on me for small tasks but I wouldn't want my life to depend on it.So with that I am shopping for a new EDC knife. Budget isn't really an issue but I don't want to spend $200.00 on an EDC knife when a $50.00 knife will work just as well.CRKT looks like they make decent knives that are pretty cheap but typically cheap = poor quality.

Can someone give me some feedback on their personal experiences?Benchmade is a little pricier than CRKT but doesn't look any better built, any feedback on Benchmade?ZT again is more expensive but if they are better knives it would be worth the money.With blades, I prefer the look of the Tanto style blades, any reason not to go with a Tanto style?Will I see a big difference in how long a knife stays sharp when comparing Blade "A" to Blade "B"?What size blade would you recommend?If you could carry any knife which one would it be?I would like to go with American Made but I am willing to check out others if they blow me away.

This is an older thread; but, questions like this do come up from time to time; so I'm going to answer it.

In general, CRKT knives are strongly built, have good liner-locks on them, and are stamped out of better than average tool steel. Personally I don't like lock-back knives. If you ever need to parry with a lock-back folder the sudden application of pressure along the back of the handle might cause a lock-back's blade to snap shut on your fingers!

Instead I much prefer to use a folder with a liner-locked blade; and CRKT's, 'LAWKS' mechanism places an additional lock upon a folder's blade that virtually guarantees it's not going to snap shut on your fingers. For the past 10 or 12 years I've carried a CRKT #6783 Folder fitted with a manually-applied, 'LAWKS' locking mechanism. It's proven itself to be a strong, very reliable, folding blade. Among the dozens of knives that I own (Some of them frightfully expensive!) I, now, have 5 or 6 CRKT folders. On average I've paid slightly less than $100.00 for each of them. Personally, I would not hesitate to recommend CRKT knives to you.

The only thing I don't like about CRKT locking folders is the addition of the automatic, 'LAWKS' mechanism on the more recent knives. Yes, it works; but it's a nuisance to release quickly; and I find myself much preferring to use the manual, 'LAWKS' locking mechanism. In either case, and throughout hours of practice and manipulation I've never had a CRKT knife with a, 'LAWKS' locking mechanism snap shut on my fingers. Here's a couple of pictures of my current EDC folders:

Close-up Of The, 'Auto-LAWKS' mechanism ~ (When you open the blade it automatically locks - A feature that I, personally, do not care for. I'd rather manually lock the blade, myself.)
Posted Image

Left-side Of A CRKT (#6783) 'Crawford-Kasper' Folder With A Manually Applied, 'LAWKS' Blade Lock ~

Posted Image

Right-side Of A Black CRKT (#6783) 'Crawford-Kasper' Folder With A Manually Applied, 'LAWKS' Blade Lock ~

Posted Image

Part Of My Daily Carry Rig ~
Posted Image

(I'm reminded that Matt Del Fatti's beautiful sheath for this comparatively inexpensive knife cost me almost twice as much as the knife, itself!) :tongue:

#44 j.k.chan24

j.k.chan24

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

@Silver Bullet - It is a nice looking sheath though =)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users