2 replies to this topic

#1 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

Ok, I'm really joking about this but there's a nerd way deep down that thinks this thing is super cool. You all probably have seen the 128,000 foot skydive (near space dive?) of Felix Baumgartner. Well, I was just looking at the Red Bull Stratos site and saw they had a store.

Check this out. For roughly $170, you can have a backpack that is designed to look like Felix's parachute:

Posted Image

What do you think? Utterly crazy or geeky enough that it might just work? Actually, if I knew I was going to meet him, I would probably buy one and get it signed and then wrap it up.

Head over to their store to see more pics. [Rig Backpack Mission]

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:15 AM

Kind of funny how Felix has been marketed. An amazing feat, no doubt about it but given the opportunity and the monetary backing I would do it without hesitation. (and naturally the additional training)
So though I look at it as an incredible milestone as a "daredevil" it was really only a matter of time before someone had the brass knockers and the money to do it. I'm sure I'm greatly simplifying it but that's how I see it.

Back to the backpack.

In all it looks like a decent backpack. I'm not sure what is going on with the rings up front, I'm guessing it is to make it look like a parachute? But for that kind of coin I'd put my money into a Maxpedition pack.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

Oh it's totally gimmicky. I mean, there's too much going on with this backpack. It's probably made from the cheapest materials and only will look decent for the first day. I prefer my GORUCK GR1 & 2 and probably won't be buying another backpack anytime soon.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skydive, backpack, ruck, bag, Red Bull, Stratos, space, parachute

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users