Photo

GORUCK Training (post everything GORUCK here)

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 Spooky353

Spooky353

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

Well guys I recently decided I want to do the GORUCK challenge. I have been looking for a reason to focus my fitness goals for some time now but never motivated myself to take the plunge and do it. I am looking at participating in the October Dallas challenge in 2013. I have been training for almost a month now and Im looking for some advice on the best ways to train. Now Im by no means a total Fat Nasty but I am out of shape, Im about 10lbs over ideal weight. I have begun doing 5k training with a goal of being able to run a half marathon by the time the challenge comes around. What training Ideas can yall suggest? Ideally I would like to train for this on my own without the help of a gym because its something I want to look back on and say that I prepared myself for by my own grit.
  • CharlesSwen likes this

#2 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

Congrats on taking the step to signing up. Have you signed up yet?

I'll try and come back to this and update with new ideas but the basic idea is to just try and mimic what you'll be doing in a challenge. Read past write ups (there's lots) and watch videos or look at photos. Practice buddy carrying with and without a ruck, run with a ruck, carry a log, get soaking wet, test your gear out... just that kind of stuff.

#3 Spooky353

Spooky353

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

thanks for the feed back, I have not signed up yet but once the Dallas Ocotber dates show up I will. So far I have been building up my run endurance without a ruck but once I switch to the next rung program I will start. on a side note I recognized your profile pic from earndit so I re-added you there, small world.

#4 Arrigoni

Arrigoni

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

I just signed up for the June 7th challenge in Tacoma, WA. Any training tips would also be greatly appreciated

#5 doctorrich

doctorrich

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

I recommend wrapping all 6 bricks together into one single unit and covering the entire mass in bubble wrap and multiple layers of gorilla tape. A fellow challenger had his bricks wrapped individually and didn't recommend it after our challenge. I'd also recommend trying a few practice runs/rucks with your ruck and weight to get used to the feel before you start your challenge for real.

Have fun. It's all about proper mindset. When things just seem incredibly shitty, THAT is the time you have to put a huge smile and your face and realize everyone is in the same boat as you are.

Enjoy!
Posted Image
GORUCK Challenge Class #247, MHT, NH

#6 eagledesigncorp

eagledesigncorp

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 54 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

how did u wrap the bricks? 2 rows of 3?
Posted Image
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart......Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

#7 springfieldshooter

springfieldshooter

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

I'm signed up for the Light event March 23 in San Francisco, CA.

I've been doing crossfit 2-3 days a week, running 2 days a week, and rucking 1 day per week.

The event is coming up fast and I'm trying hard to prep for it.

CrewLeaderSignature.png
GORUCK: Light 004 3/23/2013 SF, CA Scavenger 032 6/8/13 San Diego, CA Challenge 742 8/24/13 San Luis Obispo, CA Challenge 840 11/2/13 Sacramento, CA Light 150 12/7/13 SF, CA

#8 Spooky353

Spooky353

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

sorry its been so long to reply on here guys, ive been working on increasing my endurance for the GORUCK in October. I have strarted a cross fit style weight and upperbody routine to help with the pushups and other strenght activites, I have also been running... ALOT so far i run about 5 days a week 5-10 miles. Gettting off my ass and finding a goal to work for has transformed my life. In addition to the GORUCK, I will be also completeing a Half-marathon in October, and barring injuries or serious complications I will also be running the Dallas Marathon in December. Its been a busy few months but the results have made it worth it.

#9 WarrenPeace

WarrenPeace

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 121 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

how did u wrap the bricks? 2 rows of 3?

Yes sir, two groups of 3, bubble wrapped and then duct taped. Looks like I'm hauling contraband, but otherwise works like a charm.
Posted Image

#10 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

Yes sir, two groups of 3, bubble wrapped and then duct taped. Looks like I'm hauling contraband, but otherwise works like a charm.

Dealing bricks is against the law and violates our rights... LOL :)
Posted Image

#11 WarrenPeace

WarrenPeace

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 121 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

Bricks hurt people --- assault type bricks, as an example. And when people have too many, and build arsenals (also called walls) with them, well, really bad shit happens. PEOPLE DIE!

BAN BRICKS!!!

:moon:
  • Davis and Lao like this
Posted Image

#12 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

I would be considered a domestic terrorist then, I have 4 floors of bricks and two fireplaces.... I could take on the National Guard :) LOL hahahahahahahaha!!!
  • WarrenPeace likes this
Posted Image

#13 WarrenPeace

WarrenPeace

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 121 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

Couple of updates ...

1 - I went with the GORUCK GR-1 ruck, and glad I did. The bricks - when bubble-ducted as mentioned above - fit perfectly. The bag itself is very nice and made of high-quality 1000 dannier and feels tougher than shit. For added fun, I am probably going to go buy 3 more bricks to add an additional 15 pounds to it so that my ruck marches are a tad more difficult. I went on a short, three-miler yesterday and was able to sustain 11 minute miles on even terrain; life's never that easy so more weight and longer hauls is my prescription.

2 - I ordered a 'sand bag' from Military Athlete. Most would probably call it a seabag. I also bough 60 pounds of rubberized mulch (as per Brian's suggestion in the ITS Fit section on functional fitness and using a seabag to kick your own ass). Rob Shaul and I got a few wires crossed in our comms (read as me or paypal fat-fingering the addy) so it has yet to arrive (should any day now). The plan is to use it for get-ups, mofo-squats, to simulate buddy-carries as well as log p/t (though will clearly be softer). Really looking forward to this bit of kit arriving!

Hope everyone else is finding this as much fun as I am -- it's good to have an objective for my workouts again and it has been a few years since I forced myself to do this volume and variety of things.

See ya in the sand mutha ruckers! :cool:
Posted Image

#14 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

Good post Warren! I really need to focus and get outside again. It's starting to warm up, so I'll have a little more motivation to get on an outdoor program. I'm really not a cold weather person at all... well, at least hate living in cold weather. I'll go visit, but I really like it warm.
Posted Image

#15 WarrenPeace

WarrenPeace

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 121 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Alrighty - time for another update.

Well, rather than go and buy three more bricks I decided to repurpose 2 small 5 pound weights my wife owns(ed). :cool: Waste not want not. This, with water, makes my ruck weigh about 43 pounds, minus the bad attitude it came with. I call it MOFO, and we are very close.

Mofo and I have been doing 3 milers in the mornings -- nothing like a little AM kick in the sack to start the day -- and we are now, with our repurposed dumbbells, clocking around 14-15 minute miles. I do this 5 days a week, and yes I will soon have the ass of a Russian gymnast.

Speaking of bags, my Military Athlete sandbag (duffel, if you speak English) arrived tonight. I placed 60 pounds of rubberized mulch as per the ITS article (Bible) recommendation; tied it as per the same article, and voila, GEORGE was born. (See pic below of Mofo and George preening for the camera -- George being the portly fellow on the left who is aching for a good ass whipping).

More on how this develops, well, as it develops.

(WIPE THAT SMILE OFF YOUR FACE GEORGE!)

Attached File  bags.jpg   136.35KB   3 downloads

Edited by WarrenPeace, 11 March 2013 - 06:52 PM.

Posted Image

#16 WarrenPeace

WarrenPeace

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 121 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Time for another GORUCK training update gentlemen ...

Okay, so George (see above post) and I have had about a week together and things are going as expected --- I ache all over and George mocks me with that smug look on his mug. This week has seen every-other nightly battles between us --- first, 3 sets of 10 Sandbag Cleans; second, 3 sets of 20 sandbag presses; third, 3 sets of 20 sandbag shrugs. I'll be working get-ups in next week, which, ironically, may put me down.

My morning 3-mile Ruck Marches continue --- much to the consternation of my neighbors who sometimes venture out at 0600. I am doing just over 3 miles (about 3.25) in 43 minutes with 40 pounds in the ruck -- so call it 13 minute miles on even (albeit winding) terrain.

I am tempted not get into discussing strength conditioning because half of you will accuse me of showing off and the other half of needing to buy "mantyhose" but here goes ...

I don't do free weights --- I'm allergic to d-bags and gyms where they manifest --- so I have simply increased my functional fitness routine of pushups (4 types), pull-ups (2 types), and squats (2 types).

I do about 1500 pushups daily (20 sets of 75; 5 sets in each of the four types of pushups). I do 5 (pyramid) sets of standard and 5 sets of commando pullups; and I do 100 body weight and 100 weighted (40 pound ruck) squats.

Nothing too fancy but it seems to be working for me. I need to up my pullups, and basically everything else, and plan ratchet each of these up a click next week.

Ciao for now
PEACE

Edited by WarrenPeace, 15 March 2013 - 01:16 PM.

Posted Image

#17 springfieldshooter

springfieldshooter

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

So, yesterday I completed Goruck Light Class 004 in San Francsico, CA

It was a very cool and interesting experience. I have a much better idea now of how and what I need to train for a full Challenge. A big thing for me was that upper body strength just wasn't there. I haven't been doing enough pushups, and I need to be able to crank out some reps under load.

Lou and Chris took us on a nice tour of SF while riding the Pain Train.
  • WarrenPeace likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png
GORUCK: Light 004 3/23/2013 SF, CA Scavenger 032 6/8/13 San Diego, CA Challenge 742 8/24/13 San Luis Obispo, CA Challenge 840 11/2/13 Sacramento, CA Light 150 12/7/13 SF, CA

#18 ucfsae81

ucfsae81

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

Hey landlubber,

Even after doing crossfit for some time you still felt that you lacked upper body strength? I have been training off an on for one and now that they came out with the light edition I am going to start with that. I know you are not suppose to go into great detail on the event but could you provide a gear list on what worked and didn't worked. They use to recommend the surefire headlamp but I have a Petzl one and I was wondering if little things like that made a difference.

#19 springfieldshooter

springfieldshooter

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

A headlamp is the least of you worries and is only needed if out and about at night. I believe all the Light events are taking place during the day.

I haven't been doing enough overhead pressing and pushups. I think you need to be able to crank out 50 pushups with your ruck on and press and hold your ruck fast and easy.

Have a good pair of compression shorts and shirt on. You'll probably want a long sleeve running shirt over the base shirt. I shouldn't have to say it, but don't wear any cotton clothing.

You WILL get wet and sandy.

Under Promise, Over deliver. The event was billed at 4-5 hrs, we went for 6.5 hrs.

You will smile a lot, I promise. Smiling makes it easier.

Which event are you signed up for?

Some people wore hats; I tried to at first, but it wouldn't stay on during the welcome party so I kept it on my ruck.

My friends that were there and I are looking at each other now and saying "Ready for a Challenge?" We're thinking about November 2 in Sacramento, CA. Training will be much more thorough for this one as we want to Thrive instead of just top third of the pack.

I'm not sure how useful running is; we didn't really run but we obviously rucked a lot.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#20 WarrenPeace

WarrenPeace

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 121 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

Well boys, it's been a bit since I updated you on my progress so here goes ...

First, I've added a couple of items to my kit --- a weighted stick I got at Academy, though I'm sure they are sold elsewhere. It has a slightly rubberized exterior, is black with black end caps (different weights have different color end-caps) and is about 5 feet long. I take it on my rucks -- both to synthesize a weapon (which one would have over in the sandbox) and to synthesize the random bit of unknown team gear the cadre throws on some lucky participant during the challenge.

I also use it for squats, get ups, and other random exercises I am doing --- it is unwieldy, so it is a good core, arms and shoulders implement.

Related, I also bought two more kettlebells --- these in 10#s --- so that I can carry them on rucks when I don't want to be the crazy guy stalking around in the neighborhod with the long black stick. Works grip stregnth, slows your natural arm movements, and yes, adds 20#s to the rucking.

Other developments --- I bought the 5-week GORUCK training program from Military Athlete. It comes in PDF form, so once you purchase it online they send you a password and boom, you're back in business. I plan on starting it 5 weeks out from the actual challenge. Having looked at the program, I am confident I am prepping well for both it and the challenge.

As to changes I have made in my workout -- still pretty much the above though I have added some reps to some exercises and in other cases added evolutions or weight. As an example, I am still doing 200 squats, but now all of them are weighted with my ruck (40#) and my weight stick (20#).

That's it from here --

PEACE
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users