28 replies to this topic

#1 OhioGuy

OhioGuy

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ohio

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

I've been to many websites and I love your mission and gear but I have to admit, your forum sucks guys. There are much better solutions out there. Just and FYI. If you want to build traffic you must get a decent, updated forum application. :)

#2 OhioGuy

OhioGuy

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ohio

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

It's a tad better using WindowsIE but not much. Initially I was using Google Chrome but regardless, you guys should get one of the top forum software solutions. That would be sweet! :)

#3 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

This forum is greatly improved over the previous editions, but honestly the only forum software I would recommend over this would be vBulletin and there are plenty of downsides with that too.
Arguably IP.Board is a premiere bulletin board systems.

I wonder OhioGuy if the faults with these forums that you are seeing is because of your browser. It doesn't make it okay to have the .css issues but it does help narrow down the issues and troubleshoot the problem.
Do you see the forum rendered with the ITS skull background, white content area and large dark ITS Tactical header or is it all white with just links?

Edited by DStevenson, 17 November 2012 - 04:08 PM.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#4 OhioGuy

OhioGuy

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ohio

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

No, I see the logo and user's avatar but those whole thing seems 20 years ago. There is no graphical or organizational concept. It appears to be something a third grader could write. No offense but geez, there are way better options out there. You guys have a great concept and product line but this forum really needs updated to something 21st century I'm sorry. Doesn't matter which browser I use, it's not that. I just don't care for the whole thing. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like this. But, being a newby to a very cool site this is what stands out the most to me. YES, get vBulletin or something else. :)

#5 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

I usually see the forum rendered with the ITS skull background and things look and work great. Sometimes (maybe every third visit or so) I see all white with just links and then it's pretty hard to read and navigate. But, I like the layout and the organization when it loads correctly. I'm using Safari 6.0.2 on a Mac. I'm not sure if it's my setup or further down the chain where the problem exists. It's interesting to hear that others are having the same issue. Sometimes if I refresh a few times the ancient/all white/links only thing clears up and I get back to ITS forum bliss, complete with skulls and easy on the eyes formatting.

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#6 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

What you guys are seeing happen when everything isn't styled correctly is a failure of the forums loading the stylesheet (.css).
It is something that absolutely should be addressed but @OhioGuy it is a forum theme issue.. not a problem with the forums themselves.
Please don't judge this great community because of a small burp in the system. It was just recently redesigned and flaws are likely being worked on.

The quick down and dirty fix? Change to Google Chrome.
If that isn't an option we need to hound the forum admin until it is fixed.

@ForumAdmin:
I would look first to make sure that the .css files you are trying to reference are where they are supposed to be. You are likely calling for an alternate .css file for IE (common on more complex designs).
Try removing any "IF IE7" statements, there could be several different variations

After that look for statements that are not closed....a common one is a <div> that isn't closed. Chrome is smart enough to TRY to figure it out. IE and FireFox render it exactly as it sees it.

Edited by DStevenson, 17 November 2012 - 08:03 PM.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

#7 OhioGuy

OhioGuy

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ohio

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

Chrome seems to be the worst. Whatever the case so be it. No worries. I will gladly support your mission and products and plan to purchase some myself but will not partake in the forum because to me it's simply old school and not worth my time and aggravation. Sorry. Good luck to you all and maybe one day I will revisit these forums and look for any improvements.

#8 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

I thought it was just an issue with my mobile firefox last night while on duty, but I just logged in on my computer and both my firefox and IE are more or less the same. It was looking pretty good a few days ago, I wonder what happened?

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#9 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:57 AM

Well, now refreshing the page doesn't fix the forums for me. All I see, even after refreshing the page, is a plain white background with links. It's pretty rough to look at and not very easy to navigate. The problem does seem to be getting worse. Every once in a while I still get the skull background with the nice forum layout, but not more than once in ten visits.

#10 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Everyone, I did some research and it's not entirely the forum's fault. It turns out that our browsers are using obsolete technology. Apparently the new web standard for rendering pages is called Webkit, and roughly 60% of browsers in the world are using it. IE and Firefox for some reason stubbornly refuse to use the new standard. That being said I ran the forum url through a CSS validator and it came back with a bunch of errors. I'm not a webguru, so I can't interpret or fix these things, but this link will at least highlight the problems for the forum developer. http://jigsaw.w3.org...arning=&lang=en

I might just switch browsers though.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#11 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

You're on the right track spenceman but there is more to it than that.
When anyone develops a website (or forums in this case) they are made backward compatible. It wasn't until just a little while ago I was still trying to support IE6 which is arguably the worst browser ever produced.
Though yes, webkit is becoming more common, it is just a TINY fraction of websites that use it and in addition it is just a TINY piece of code. 99% of the code is still made to function within the confines of IE and FireFox and no website is designed fully utilizing webkit nor was it meant to.

Lets make it more relate-able. A good AR15 can support 5.56mm NATO rounds AND .223 cal. Webkit is simply the magazine that feeds that rifle. It doesn't care if it is a 5.56mm round or a .223 because they are both similar enough.

It is always good practice to make sure your site is W3C complaint and it is usually one of the last steps before a site goes live.

#12 Anderson

Anderson

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNortheast US

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:18 AM

I've got the same issue. All white. Links. Tried 3 browsers on my iOS devices. Was working fine last week.
Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not always truth.
Posted Image

#13 berserkirtec

berserkirtec

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

Yes, the forums are jacked. The forum is very annoying right now to view.

#14 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Some interesting stuff guys, thanks for looking into it. I can honestly say that I'm not having any of these issues and I'm on Chrome (on a Mac). I'm going to try some other browsers and see if I can replicate the problem.

Does anyone have a screenshot of the problems you're seeing?

Also, OhioGuy, do you have any recommendations on other forums to use?

EDIT: Yup. It's screwed for me too. I quit and relaunched Chrome and every browser made it look like crap.

I just talked to the crew and they're working on it. Looks to be a Javascript error. May still be wonky through this evening. Hang in there and thanks again for bring it up. Weird that it didn't look bad for me at first.

Oh and I'm posting this from the IP Board iPhone app. I'll have to try the mobile version next.

#15 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

use browserlab.adobe.com
It is a great application that allows you to see what the page renders like in any browser, no matter how obscure.

#16 michael star

michael star

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

Im using Chrome and it looks fine to me. I will admit there are functions that this site seems to be missing (mark all forums as read) but it isn't too bad

#17 berserkirtec

berserkirtec

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Forum appears to now be un-jacked. Great work. ;)

#18 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

Yep, looks good on my end too. Thanks to whoever fixed the error!

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#19 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

Everything seems to be back to the usual ITS excellence! Both mobile and desktop Safari are looking good. Thanks for getting it fixed.

#20 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

Great, it's looking good to me too. Thanks for hanging in there!

If anyone is still having issues, try clearing your cache. Safari was wonky until I reset it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users