• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

Im using Chrome and it looks fine to me. I will admit there are functions that this site seems to be missing (mark all forums as read) but it isn't too bad

Michael,
Check at the very very very bottom left. It's blue against a dark background so it's tough to see but it's there.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#22 Anderson

Anderson

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNortheast US

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

Everything is back. Browser full of awesome.
Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not always truth.
Posted Image

#23 Mother73

Mother73

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

man, guess I took the right days off. Have no idea what anybody was talking about, but so glad to hear the guru's got it under control. (cause I have not written code in 6 years or so, and would rather shoot myself in the foot than catch up)

#24 OhioGuy

OhioGuy

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ohio

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

THERE WE GO! Much better guys. Yes, something was definitely jacked up. Thanks for looking into it. :)

#25 OhioGuy

OhioGuy

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ohio

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

...Also, OhioGuy, do you have any recommendations on other forums to use?...

I use to run a website but the guy who designed the site used Joomla. After two years of messing with it I wasn't a fan. vBulletin is awesome and is so much more powerful. This site appears to be Joomla platform but I could be wrong. I'm no expert by all means.

At this point since the forum seems to be working much better it's not a big deal but I would look into some other options because you guys have a great thing here and I'm sure this forum and website will grow nicely over time.

BTW, I'm glad I found this site and I look forward to visiting and learning about new gear.

#26 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Not Joomla (bleh), it's Wordpress based as was the old forums. Wordpress never had a good forum setup so I was happy to see the move to IP.Board.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

#27 OhioGuy

OhioGuy

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ohio

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

If you search for the top forums on the Internet most of them utilize vBulletin because it's powerful, it works and it's very user friendly. I'm not a web designer but I believe it can be incorporated into Wordpress. The thing about having a website is you want to keep traffic in your site, not taking them elsewhere with links. We had this issue running our site because the Joomla forums weren't good so we created a Wordpress forum site but it wasn't ideal because nobody back then could figure out how to incorporate it into our Joomla website. lol

In all honesty I'm glad I've washed my hands of all that because it wasn't enjoyable. I have a new philosophy now, pay people to do your annoying dirty work!

Now, if I could only convince the wife of that when it comes time to paint.

Edited by OhioGuy, 03 December 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#28 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Though I fully agree vBulletin is the best forum solution for security and dependability but you have to remember its not cheap.
With vB5 thankfully they got rid of the renewal fees, but I cannot tell you how well it works compared to vB4 to which I'm very familiar with.

Secondly, it CANNOT tie into your Wordpress accounts. The Wordpress hash for passwords is kept private and you cannot share the accounts between vB and WordPress.
That is why they used SimplePress or BBpress in the past, it incorporated into your WordPress account (to which the website runs) flawlessly.

Thirdly, vB is a bitch to theme. It doesn't get any more complex and annoying than vB4 for styling the forums. They claim to have addressed that with vB5 but I have not had any new designs that required an upgrade yet so I cannot confirm it.

#29 OhioGuy

OhioGuy

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ohio

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

I did not realize vBulletin was expensive. Interesting. See, I'm no expert but I remember looking into it years ago and for some reason I don't remember anything about costs so it's hard to say.

You seem to know more than I would dealing with it more so I hope it all works out. The forum seems to be working fine and I guess it really doesn't matter. It's all X's and O's as they say.

A good forum is more about relationships, content and activity. Even the best software can't make that happen. Building insterest is where's it at. I'm excited for this place because I can really see it growing. It takes time as I found out about the business I was in. They are still around but it's going to take a while to get big. So you have to set yourself apart from the rest and that's never an easy task.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users