7 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Russo

Mike Russo

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 26 posts
  • Locationthe airport...probably

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

If you were to travel to a third world country, what survival items would you not leave home without?

My particular scenario encompasses both urban and jungle areas.

Lock picks
Handcuff key
Pocket knife
Liberty bottle or Nalgene
Fire starter
Bug spray
Water purification tabs
550 chord
Rubber door stops

Keep in mind, this is not supposed to be a high stress trip. Just looking to supplement kit just in case.

Edited by Mike Russo, 22 November 2012 - 10:54 AM.

#2 jhclouse

jhclouse

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Mike,

Two thoughts jump into my mind:
1. Pocket light x2. I carry a small Nebo Red Line 220 lumen that can be adjusted to run 100%, 50%, 10%, and S.O.S. strobe (assuming anyone still knows morse code!) I'd also suggest a Photon II that you can carry on a cord around your neck so you always have light. Both have served me well while traveling...
2. A "survival straw", which would include personal water bottles with filters in them, would probably work better than water tabs. They've come along way in development seem to have a srtong following for those who use them. I don't have any personal experience with them yet, but it's on my short list to get. From a medical stand point, everything I've read gives them high marks.

I'm sure I'll think of something else, but this is a start. Hope this helps. jc

Edited by jhclouse, 24 November 2012 - 08:21 PM.

#3 michael star

michael star

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

I would second a survival straw. I bought a few and actually tried one out locally in a stream (always use moving water). It would help a lot even if you had to drink the local water supply and help keep you from having "issues".

#4 jhclouse

jhclouse

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Michael,

Which brands did you buy / try?

#5 michael star

michael star

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Mcnett Frontier Emergency Water Filter

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o05_s00_i00

About the worst thing is when you first use it, you suck up some carbon. Can't beat the size or price IMO.

Pure Water Straw-Advanced

http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sbs_sg_5

This one is twice as much, but it is in a hard case which might be better for some people.

I'm always on the lookout for the most effective vs cost for my gear. Some people might call me being cheap, but the way I look at it, if it works, then I will use it. The nice thing is I don't worry about losing gear, or trying to stretch my gear to the limit to get the best value. Did I drink 19 gallons through the straw or 20? No biggie, I will just use a new one.

#6 Slipery4life

Slipery4life

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationDFW TX

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

My Gerber 06 Fast knife, flint, zippo lighter, my klean kanteen stainless steel(64 fl. oz can hold water or boil it or use as a club this things is strong and heavy when full), 550 rope, and my Fenix LD 20 the rest i think i can manage and find or make along the way

I think for any situation knowledge can save your life even if you dont have all this equipment

#7 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Depending on your personal habits and how much time you have you'll want to start by eating some health and delicious yogurt everyday (the good stuff with live cultures). Yogurt encourages the growth of good naturally occuring bacteria in your digestive tract, which in turn help fight bad bacteria which you're likely to encounter in the third world. (Michael Westin on Burn Notice is no dummy for his love of yogurt). Another thing (which is best to start 6 months to a year out), is to reduce how often you wash your hands. Sounds gross, but germ-o-phobic hand washing tendencies essentially cause your immune system to atrophy, because it doesn't have the opportunity to grow and learn. Now onto EDC....

1. Most important is to have a friend, a capable friend is best, but any friend will do.
2. cash money, with various amounts kept in various pockets. You can pay off corrupt cops, and or muggers.
3. drop/dummy wallet. This is only good for muggers and pick pockets.
4. Beware: Lockpick/Handcuff key/pocket knife, these may be illegal. If they are legal a corrupt cop may decide otherwise, see item 2.
5. Water container with filter and purification tablets (may even be necessary in your hotel room)
6. Fire starter
7. Bug spray/sunscreen
8. 550 chord
9. Rubber door stops
10. Tourist wallet (similar to the smart carry holster, worn underneath clothes, holds valuables)
11. One or more photocopies of your passport stored in various locations just in case you lose your passport.
12. Machete (great for the jungle, but maybe not best to carry around in the city)
13. Trauma shears, in case a knife will land you in jail
14. A couple of inexpensive flashlights/ or flashlight and headlamp.

On the corrupt cop note, it's a very sensitive issue. Trying ot pay them off may land you in jail, but it may also succeed and keep you free. In mexico the going rate a few years ago was $200, or every dollar you had. If you could convince them that $20 or $40 was all you had that often just enough. But dont' think $2.43 is going to satisfy them.
  • Mother73 and viroid like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#8 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

I've spent more than 30 years traveling to foreign countries. Don't get too crazy or worried. There are wonderful people in every country, though there are a few countries that I avoid. Ok, I generally stay in 2-5 star hotels, but you'd be surprised by what is considered a 5 star hotel in some countries. Yes, I've had my passport taken by hotels and by military police. I have friends (men and women) that have been pistol whipped and beaten.

I generally don't eat from food wagons off the streets unless in North America or Europe. I am careful about iced products outside of North America and Europe. I drink and brush my teeth with bottled water except in North America or Europe. I drink bottled water, often with gas at dinner and without gas other times. I drink beer and straight tequila in Mexico, but there is a story behind that. I eat most local prepared foods, generally cooked. I generally eat all raw foods in North America, Europe and Japan, but I watch what I eat. I enjoy shellfish and sushi, although I have a huge respect for several groups that choose to avoid them. I cook pork and poultry to 160-165F, but eat steak tartar. I spent years in restaurants and have a strong background in infectious diseases on the medical side.

I have had food related illness in Mexico 2-3 times(over 35 years), Scotland 1 time, India 1 time, and North America probably 25-30 times.

I travel with Imodium, ibuprofen, aspirin, anti-histamine, a small pocket knife, a multi-country cell phone, multiple currencies, a lighter, a small pen knife, and multiple photocopies of my passport (really, really important). I will carry a water purification straw and door rubber wedge from now on.

Local friends, cash, credit cards and being environmentally aware are the best preventive therapies that I know.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Survival, Tropic, Travel, EDC, Vacation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users