26 replies to this topic

#21 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Schorched: Sorry it's taken me so long, but I said I would get you the name of the school with the paramedic to RN program. It took me a some time to get in touch with my buddy that just started the program because he was in the process of moving to a different state.
Anyway, the program is based out of Hutchinson, KS and is through the Hutchinson Community College. I just googled it and here is the link to their site: http://www.hutchcc.e...ing/emt-p-to-rn
Not sure if this is exactly what you were looking for or not, but hopefully it helps.

Good luck.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#22 schorched

schorched

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 24 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hey thanks for the info I sure appreciate it!

#23 Bullets

Bullets

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

You are probably going to find it easier to go from RN to MICU. In NJ once you are an RN you have to ride on an ALS unit for 100 hours and do a rotation with RT and get 10 tubes, apply for the waiver with the DOH and then you get the MICN certification. Once there you can work as a paramedic and as a CCRN which in NJ make $50-60 hr. Since an RN is only working 3-4 days a week, many agencies will pick up a MICN as a per-diem and it gives you some good work that pays well.

I found a BSN bridge for people holding a bachelors, its a one year programm but requires A&P 1&2, Micro, Stats, and a Developmental Psych for entry

#24 schorched

schorched

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 24 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

I know this thread is a few months old now, but I though I'd update. I finished my basic and will be starting paramedic in August when the program resumes. As it turns out, my school also offers a bridge to RN from medic so I'll be able to do everything right there. It's not a BSN it's the associates level but that is fine for me.

#25 Blackhawk6d

Blackhawk6d

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWet side of Washington

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

Okay so I know that I am a NOOB to the 10th degree, but wanted to give you just a smidgen of something to think about. First of all, Nursing school is hard, and can be harder if you spend 2 years getting an EMS degree and your nursing school may require you to take the same classes over. So first, contact the top 5 Nursing Schools that you want to to attend and ask them about the ability to transfer the EMS degree.

Second, with regards to the experience gained as a medic.. that all depends on the agency your work for. I have been in the Fire Service for about 14 years now. I am only an EMT-B (Was an IV tech, but my agency doesn't recognize them). I will admit that being that I work for the Seattle Fire Department we are an anomaly in the Fire Service in that it doesn't matter what your level of EMS certification is when you get hired, you will only be an EMT Basic and then have to go through what is regarded as probably the toughest Medic School in the US (University of Washington). This is just a little background so you get a better idea where I am coming from. In Seattle, only members of the Seattle Medic 1 (Seattle Fire Department members) are allowed to do ALS transport or even ALS care. The private ambulance company does to intra-facility transfers, but the actual percentage of EMS done is pretty low for those. The Private ambulance only transports BLS patients otherwise.

In my previous department, we had the same company (different jurisdiction) and they had 1 medic and 1 IV-Tech on their ambulances. Those medics got to do more ems, but still Fire was in charge and usually had Fire-Medics that did most of the EMS.

Now depending on the agency or company you go to work for as a Medic, you may or may not get actual EMS experience. Transporting a stabilized patient isn't EMS (Sorry if I am insulting anyone here... just an opinion). Working for the primary ALS service in your county that has jurisdiction would probably allow you to have MORE experience, providing that another agency doesn't have jurisdiction as well.

Finally, a little side note about EMS work versus ICU and the Like.... It is 100% Night and Day Different. One isn't necessarily better than the other. I am an EMS guy, so I obviously prefer doing EMS in the Field. Many of my friends prefer the ER environment. Both offer their Pros and Cons. In the Field, there is more improvisation and thinking on your feet. You are working a Patient and doing what you can to get them to a higher trained level of care. It's challenging, rewarding and isn't as analytical. It's also more dangerous. The Nursing Side is MUCH more challenging on the mental side, safer for the patient and the provider as well as way more analytical. There is less improvisation and even in the ICU or ER Surgery, you will still receive patients that are markedly better than they were in the field.

Having said all this (and probably pissing off a few nurses or medics along the way), each is VERY rewarding. I caution you to getting into EMS as a transition to Nursing, because there seems to be allot of people that start out that way and never make the jump for one reason or the other (they like the EMS side, get burned out, or find out after having some bad runs that maybe they shouldn't be in either). My ultimate suggestion is to start as an EMT (don't need a 2 year degree for that and you will still get experience) and start knocking out your Pre-Req's for nursing school. Once you get your National EMT you can go anywhere with it and this will allow you to have a stable income while going to school. In my area EMT's for private ambulances start around 15 to 16 per hour and many work a 24 hour on, 48 hour off shift which is GREAT for nursing. Some companies actually help you with tuition reimbursement as well. You won't be wasting your time getting an AAS degree that you don't need, but working towards your end goal as a Nurse. Experience doesn't matter as much as you may think.

#26 schorched

schorched

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 24 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

it sounds as though things are vastly different in your area compared to my small town rural area. The majority of paramedics here have 1 year certificates not degrees. I don't personally know any with a degree in EMS here, although it is offered as on option to the certificate if one choses. Our fire dept, although a full time municipal dept, is rather small and does not hire EMT's/Medics, nor do they respond to EMS calls. Those calls fall enirely on the sole EMS service here, which is ran by the county. Basics see a lot of action here as the trucks are typically staffed with one medic and one basic, or sometimes an intermediate. I guess that is the difference in Seattle and small town oklahoma lol. We don't have the massive resources, but then again we don't have the population, logistical nightmares etc either that you guys in the big cities have to deal with. I agree though that it's not worth the time of getting an EMS degree just to turn around and pursue a nursing degree. Fortunately though, I don't have to make that choice here.

#27 JeanetteDeguzman

JeanetteDeguzman

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 12:23 AM

I agree with nickB512 with going forward but not to ignore the CNA.  Nursing is much in demand nowadays in virtually any healthcare facility.  One needs a little extra effort for getting into the field, but once it's achieved you can reap great returns and self satisfaction.  And while on the topic, I've come to learn that many will visit various organizations to get options available for you.  Nursing can also be a step up to different specialized physician staffing and other niche fields.  Check the latest updates online and in other relevant resources.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users