26 replies to this topic

#1 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

Has anyone ever carried one daily, or still carrying one? I'm looking into something small, I can carry and use if needed.... There's only a small amount to choose from that I've found, but I can't make a decision.
Posted Image

#2 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

I wore one daily for a short while, but ultimately found it very uncomfortable and a bit inconvenient for access. I suppose it depends on the person and what your normal daily attire is, but in the end I've decided that I feel comfortable with what I carry on a pocket clip in my pocket. If I do feel the need for a knife beyond what's in my pocket and still want it to be relatively concealed I am a fan of the Ka-Bar TDI series and wearing it in an IWB sheath.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#3 PapaCannoli

PapaCannoli

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

I tend to. One thing you have to keep in mind are your local laws. It all depends on what your looking for and what size you want. Any knife can be a neck knife. You just need to make a sheath to hold it properly. Whether it be leather or kydex. carry the esee candiru (sheath sucks, I have seen custom kydex replacements out there), or the Blind Horse knives White Tiger(not offered anymore). The also have the Tiger Knapp knife which is basically the same thing with a different blade type. I know that KaBar make some neckers. TOPS knives has a lot of options. I just looked 91 in the 1''-3'' blade category.

#4 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

I'm looking for something in the 3.5 to 4 inch overall range. I have a good pocket knife with clip, I just thought I would try something a little different.
Posted Image

#5 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Well, I pulled the trigger... after a lot of research, I picked up an ESEE Izula, waiting for it to arrive!!

ESEE IZULA Knife, Saftey Orange, Concealed Carry Knife
Posted Image

#6 j.k.chan24

j.k.chan24

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

Well, I pulled the trigger... after a lot of research, I picked up an ESEE Izula, waiting for it to arrive!!

ESEE IZULA Knife, Saftey Orange, Concealed Carry Knife

Fancy looking knife there, Lao. I like the colour.

Edited by j.k.chan24, 22 December 2012 - 05:34 PM.

Posted Image

#7 renomax

renomax

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 53 posts
  • Locationcentral oklahoma

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

I think you will like the Izula. They are razor sharp out of the box. I bought a couple of pink ones for my wife and daughter to carry in there purse. If you did not get scales for it there are different paracord wraps that can be found on Utube. Be careful that Bullet Ant will bite you!

#8 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Yea, I think what helped with the decision is the fact that it's razor sharp right out of the box. I loved the color choices... tired of the same old black. I was torn between the desert, fire ant red and orange. I went with the orange because it's awesome and if I drop it, it might be easier to find over a darker color.

I actually thought about grabbing the pink one for my wife, but honestly, she would cut herself... LOL

Edited by Lao, 23 December 2012 - 07:30 AM.

Posted Image

#9 PapaCannoli

PapaCannoli

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

Yea, I think what helped with the decision is the fact that it's razor sharp right out of the box. I loved the color choices... tired of the same old black. I was torn between the desert, fire ant red and orange. I went with the orange because it's awesome and if I drop it, it might be easier to find over a darker color.

I actually thought about grabbing the pink one for my wife, but honestly, she would cut herself... LOL

I got the pink for my wife. She actully carries it every day. It got my wife more interested in prepardness and awarness. I actually had to but two more for her friends at work. The pink digicam paracord added a nice touch too.

#10 Klarktx

Klarktx

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 226 posts
  • LocationFlowery Branch, Ga

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

I wear a Boker necker. There are a few places I cannot carry my sidearm, this becomes a primary.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#11 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

I wear a Boker necker. There are a few places I cannot carry my sidearm, this becomes a primary.

Becker Necker? I was looking at those, it just looked like to many edges and might be uncomfortable.
Posted Image

#12 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

I wrapped the Izula today... tell me what you think!

Attached Files

Posted Image

#13 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Awesome handle wrap job man, looks top notch!
Are you going to carry it as a neck knife or keep it in the pocket?

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#14 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Awesome handle wrap job man, looks top notch!
Are you going to carry it as a neck knife or keep it in the pocket?

It fits perfect in my front right pocket. Using it as a neck knife might get in the way. I think I'll just keep it in the pocket :) Thanks on the comment... I really wanted a tight looking wrap and still expose the orange. I also wanted to disply the skull bead!
  • Davis likes this
Posted Image

#15 PapaCannoli

PapaCannoli

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

It fits perfect in my front right pocket. Using it as a neck knife might get in the way. I think I'll just keep it in the pocket :) Thanks on the comment... I really wanted a tight looking wrap and still expose the orange. I also wanted to disply the skull bead!

I've seen people shave the sides down to make it better for neck carry. You lose the latching points but it works.

#16 WarrenPeace

WarrenPeace

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 121 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

I wore one of these on some deployments to Africa and the Middle East.

Posted Image

To be honest - it didn't bother me under armor, but under regular clothing I find it flops about a bit and annoys me.
Posted Image

#17 TV-PressPass

TV-PressPass

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

I've carried a Folts Minimalist several times when I wanted a small fixed blade over a standard folder. I'm not a knife-nut, but I worked the counter for a while and wound up buying a few dozen knives of my own over the years there.

I found with the folts that I didn't like it much as a neck knife, but I liked it a lot as a . . . well I don't know what to call it. I'd lock the lanyard around a belt loop, then put the sheathed knife inside with the handle angled out. I'm pretty sure I've heard someone more tactical than I call this a "vasectomy carry."

To draw the knife you just grab and pull. The sheath tied to the belt loop and will pop off and dangle a few inches below your belt. This is much easier to re-sheathe than trying to stick the blade back into your pants and maybe nicking yourself.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Txhellbilly

Txhellbilly

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Lao, you just made me decide to finally wrap my EDC Venom Green Izula.

#19 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:27 AM

Lao, you just made me decide to finally wrap my EDC Venom Green Izula.

AWESOME!!! Post pics when you've finished it!!
Posted Image

#20 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

i picked up a "Last Ditch Necker" from D3 "Devil Dog" Designs I did the wrap and knot myself ... I dont wear it every day since I predominately fly a desk all day however out n about I'm starting to wear more often... I'm also still working on some sort of quick release method of the para-cord - i'm not sure if this is just paranoia about possibly being choked out by it either by a bad guy or just by doing every day things and getting it snagged

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users