• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 langston302

langston302

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

take the core out of the paracord. Put a ball chain through it and leave the two ends open. this will still keep it secure but will allow it to break away if it needs too.
Posted Image Posted Image

#22 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

Lao, you just made me decide to finally wrap my EDC Venom Green Izula.

hey Txhellbilly, you ever wrap your Izula? I really like the look of the Venom Green.
Posted Image

#23 huffsteredmonton

huffsteredmonton

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

I've worn a Hide Away Knife http://www.hideawayknife.com/main.php on my ID disk chain for years (when I'm doing Army things). It is very small and not annoying under body armour. The beaded chain of the ID disk chain solves the getting hung up issue. I have a few para cord type lanyards with small fastex clips on them that have a connection that will fail under high tension that looks much like heat shrink, so I think joining the ends of a piece of para cord with heat shrink could make a "force failing joint" for a neck knife. If I were going to build one, I suspect that it would take a fair bit of trial and error to get it right; by varying the length of the heat shrink on one end of the para cord you could vary the amount of force required to break the joint.

Just thinking out loud on this. The beaded chain works for me.

#24 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

Hey huffster, that hide away knife is pretty sweet. I didn't see any pricing, but I'll drop them a line.
Posted Image

#25 HunterCosta

HunterCosta

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNOVA

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

I've carried a Folts Minimalist several times when I wanted a small fixed blade over a standard folder. I'm not a knife-nut, but I worked the counter for a while and wound up buying a few dozen knives of my own over the years there.

I found with the folts that I didn't like it much as a neck knife, but I liked it a lot as a . . . well I don't know what to call it. I'd lock the lanyard around a belt loop, then put the sheathed knife inside with the handle angled out. I'm pretty sure I've heard someone more tactical than I call this a "vasectomy carry."

To draw the knife you just grab and pull. The sheath tied to the belt loop and will pop off and dangle a few inches below your belt. This is much easier to re-sheathe than trying to stick the blade back into your pants and maybe nicking yourself.

I use the Tanto Minimalist every day its great and i'm happy I have never had to use it. something worth considering for a lot of the guys/gals who wear neck knives I hooked a handcuff key to mine with the feeling that if SHTF and I get 99% of my EDC taken that I can still get out of cuffs and fight back.

Edited by HunterCosta, 08 August 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#26 CaptMilkbone

CaptMilkbone

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

Maybe... anyone use or have a viewpoint on COLD STEEL PAL push knives? http://www.coldsteel...PAL_SERIES.aspx

#27 Boanerges

Boanerges

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTideH20

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

Has anyone ever carried one daily, or still carrying one? I'm looking into something small, I can carry and use if needed.... There's only a small amount to choose from that I've found, but I can't make a decision.

I've had one aroud my neck every day and night( even sleep with it) for 14yrs. Its made by E.V. Chavar, in Bethlaham,Pa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users