4 replies to this topic

#1 thefoolofemmaus

thefoolofemmaus

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPacific, MO

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

Here is the video of today's press conference or if you prefer, here is the transcript.

A few thought thoughts. First, I think Mr. LaPierre and his associates made a huge mistake in talking about violent video games. He alienate potential allies, allies who talk exactly like we do, just saying "video games" in places we'd read "guns". Here is an example article. It's about violent video games, but do a find and replace for "video games" with "guns" and see if it doesn't read just like an average article on your Pro 2A site of choice. Additionally, I literally don't know any males under 30 who don't play violent video games. None. Correlation does not imply causation.

He also lost focus with that accusation. The media focus should have been on media misinformation, which he only touched on. They mention how the average media personality and thus report is laughably ignorant about firearms, but don't emphasize it enough.

I also would have liked to see more emphasis on parent and citizen involvement with the new National School Shield Program. They talk mostly about retired cops, which is only one of the many pools of talent that could be drawn upon. My wife is a teacher, and I would gladly volunteer time there.

Lastly, he missed an opportunity to say more about why they stayed silent so long. Things like "respect for the mourning period", and "want to think about real solutions, rather than knee jerk reactions". The NRA took quite a beating in both left leaning and center publications for this.

What do you guys think?
  • Kenny likes this

#2 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 749 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

thefoolofemmaus,

Excellent points. I agree that the press conference was an exceptional disappointment. Video Games? WTF!! I agree that the focus was not only lost, it was pointed in the wrong direction. I was glad to hear them defend gun ownership (after their lengthy silence I was becoming concerned), but for the NRA to come out with a weak and misguided blame shifting strategy is awful. No ,no, don't blame guns, guns don't kill people, people err... uhh... I mean VIDEO GAMES DO!!!! They should have spent more time addressing the positive solutions to school shootings (CCW for teachers and administrators, well screened volunteer security, etc.), media misinformation, and the importance of the 2nd Amendment. I'm not a gamer and rarely attend movies, but trying to blame these violent events on games and movies is absurd and weak and does nothing to further a discussion about the importance of our Constitutionally protected right to own and bear arms.
  • Kenny likes this

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#3 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

I fully agree with both of you guys. Given the current state of affairs that we legitimate gun owners are facing, and the fact that the NRA had their days of silence to formulate a response, it should have been much more thoughtful and appropriate response. Very disappointing.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#4 nickb512

nickb512

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

This is why the undereducated people( in regards to firearms) look at us gun owners as nut jobs. Its because of stupid decisions by the NRA to say crap like this. Maybe next time you go on the news to talk about a tragedy how about you adress the real issues and not just spout the same crap.

#5 Kenny

Kenny

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 137 posts
  • LocationWatauga, TX

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Lastly, he missed an opportunity to say more about why they stayed silent so long. Things like "respect for the mourning period", and "want to think about real solutions, rather than knee jerk reactions". The NRA took quite a beating in both left leaning and center publications for this.

When I read his statement, blaming violent video games and movies, my first thought was that it sounded like a knee jerk reaction. It reminds of the story years ago about some teenager who locked himself in his room for a couple days listening to Ozzie and then committed suicide. His parents wanted to sue Ozzie because they felt his music made their little boy suicidal. The kid probably already had some problems to begin with. Why else would he lock himself in his room for two days?
Posted Image

"Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful. Semper Erectus - Always Hard"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users