48 replies to this topic

#1 H46USNAC

H46USNAC

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

A few years ago I read One Second After and it really got me thinking about trying to get home in a variety of scenarios ( EMP, civil unrest, etc... )
I do service work and am all over the north Georgia area. I could be anywhere from 3 miles to well over a hundred miles from home in an SHTF scenario where I might have to abandon my vehicle and start walking home.
I've put together a "Get Home Bag" and would love some feedback/input.
Kept in the van are the following items not shown in the Get Home Bag:
My EDC Bag with daily crap I carry. ( Glock 26 and Serpa holster, 2 spare mags, iPad, iPhone, charging cables, Leatherman Skeletool, spare reading glasses, lighter
Cold weather gear. I keep some cold weather clothing in the van for the sake of the job anyway. So, if I had to abandon the vehicle in cold weather, I would just put that clothing on and take it with me.
A couple of cases of water in the van both for everyday consumption and start making my way home use.
A spare, quality pair of waterproof, composite toe boots in the van that I would change into.
A nice heavy duty pry bar
A Snugpak Stratosphere waterproof one person bivvi shelter

Here is the bag and its contents:

GET HOME BAG

Attached File  image.jpg   351.19KB   118 downloads
Maxpedition Falcon II backpack

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached File  image.jpg   387.61KB   123 downloads
FOOD
3 Mainstay 1200 Calorie Energy Bars
2 Cliff Bars
8 water flavor packs

Attached File  image.jpg   321.89KB   118 downloads
FIRE KIT
100' paracord
Fischer Space Pen
ASP Pepper Spray Key Defender
ASP Kuboton Glass Breaker
Write in the rain notebook
Maxpedition Fatty Pocket Organizer ( storage for fire making supplies )
Wire Saw
Fresnel Lens ( magnifying & fire making )
Petroleum saturated cotton for tinder
Jute twine for tinder
Knife sharpener
Light My Fire FireSteel Fire Starter
Going Gear Numyth Fire Piston
Lifeboat Matches in waterproof case
Orange Numyth Tohil Watertight Fluid Lighter
Black Windproof butane lighter
cash in small bills ( vending machine or even fire tinder if need be )
roll of quarters
Fox 40 rescue whistle
Silicone lubricant for fire piston seals

Attached File  image.jpg   293.18KB   103 downloads
TOILET KIT
stored in Spec-Ops Dry-Cell Waterproof Pocket Organizer
Nice N Clean wipes
3 rolls camping toilet paper
Hand sanitizer

Attached File  image.jpg   333.37KB   90 downloads
MISCELLANEOUS STUFF
Maxpedition Pocket Reference
4 Chem Lights
4 AA batteries ( for Garmin GPSMap-60csx )
4 CR123 batteries for Surefire Flashlight, carried separately
case for batteries
OR ( Outdoor Research ) Bug Bucket hat
Grease Monkey work gloves

Attached File  image.jpg   282.12KB   87 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   338.04KB   102 downloads
BOO-BOO KIT
Life Straw ( water filtration )
5 Dust masks
Foldable reading glasses ( in case of broken/lost Clics readers )
Ear Plugs
Tick Key ( for traipsin' around in the woods in the south )
Hemostats
Scissors
First Aid book
Knot refresher guide
Black & Red Sharpies
Insect repellant wipes
Allegra D allergy meds
Ace Wrap style bandage
Whiney pills ( Excedrin Migraine, Alleve, Benadryl, Immodium D ) in waterproof
match container
Misc bandages
Duct Tape wrapped around phoney credit card
AfterBite insect bite itch treatment
Travel toothbrush
Toothpaste
2 maxi-pads ( I'm a guy so yeah, go ahead and chuckle, but think of what
they're for. Not a bad wound dressing if you get a bad cut )
2 tongue depressors ( good for finger splints )
Uncle Bills Sliver Gripper tweezers ( these things are freakin' awesome! )
Gerber multi-function fingernail clippers
More bandages/wound treatment

sAttached File  image.jpg   346.46KB   125 downloads
MAIN COMPARTMENT
Maps - Georgia & Atlanta
38"x65" 4 mil blue plastic bag ( minimal cold weather / rain shelter ) from
outdoorsafe.com
Boonie hat with 30' of paracord
Black Buff ( neck/facehead cover from sun, dust, light cold )
Hiking shirt to change into from work clothes
2 bandanas ( water filter, head/face cover, etc ) many uses for bandanas
Blue Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Nylon Tarp Poncho
Eaton Scorpion hand crank/solar radio
Garmin GPSMap-60csx with road maps and terrain maps loaded
Leg straps for Gerber LMF 2 knife
4 water bottle holders ( bottle shown for display purposes. 2 cases water
carried in work van for everyday use and abandon vehicle and start
trekking home use. Pull em out of bag, put a water bottle in and clip em to
outside of bag )
REI inflatable Sit Seat. ( gonna have some down time while trekking home, may as well make it a little comfy )
Shemagh ( head, face neck cover for heat, cold & dust )
More Cliff bars
Henry U.S. Survival rifle with 3 magazines and 50 rounds

Attached File  image.jpg   359.71KB   105 downloads
CLOTHING
Lightweight Hiking pants with zip off legs
ExOfficio travel underwear ( non-cotton, fast drying )
Spare pair of Smartwool Heavy Duty socks

Attached File  image.jpg   392.89KB   78 downloads
OUTSIDE OF PACK
Gerber LMF 2 knife
EOD Breacher bar
Skull pace counter beads ( more to put a smile on my face than anything )
2 UV glow sticks ( like chem lights, but indefinitely reusable )
2 Petzl locking carabiners
Wedge-It door wedge

Really thinking about adding one of the HPG kit bags featured here on ITS as a way to carry the Glock up front and outta sight if I did ever have to walk away from the van.

Edited by H46USNAC, 30 December 2012 - 01:31 PM.

• mikejulietpapa, Elia Shehady, LongHaul and 6 others like this
A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse.

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

Awesome kit and great pictures.. thanks for sharing.
I hope do something similar some day but I just too much going on right now to consider survival.. pfft.
  • aaronbailey likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 Stevequatt51

Stevequatt51

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida, USA

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

I have something simile but not as extensive as yours...yours looks pretty good and I love the addition of the rifle. I didn't see it but a survival radio might be worth looking into...red cross has one that is Crank powered for cheap. Maybe add an MRE and I would strongly carry glock 17 magazines that carry 17 9mm rounds in lieu of the standard 26 magazine. I too carry the 26 but run the 17 mags with an xgrip magazine adapter. I only use the adapter on he magazine in the 26 because if I'm changing magazines I got bigger problems to worry about. I also am a big fan of maxpedition bags....nice choice and thanks for sharing.
  • aaronbailey likes this
Posted Image
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” George Orwell

#4 H46USNAC

H46USNAC

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

I have something simile but not as extensive as yours...yours looks pretty good and I love the addition of the rifle. I didn't see it but a survival radio might be worth looking into...red cross has one that is Crank powered for cheap. Maybe add an MRE and I would strongly carry glock 17 magazines that carry 17 9mm rounds in lieu of the standard 26 magazine. I too carry the 26 but run the 17 mags with an xgrip magazine adapter. I only use the adapter on he magazine in the 26 because if I'm changing magazines I got bigger problems to worry about. I also am a big fan of maxpedition bags....nice choice and thanks for sharing.

Stevequatt51,

Thanks for the feedback, there is a hand crank/solar powered radio. Same picture as the rifle. It's an Eton Scorpion.
A stripped MRE or two might be a good idea as well. Again, just got to find a place to stuff em. That bag is pretty stuffed. However, with the thought that the clothing, GPS and a couple of other things would be coming out of the bag; I could keep the MRE's in the van and then put them in the bag prior to abandoning the vehicle..... Food for thought.
I'll have to give some thought to the 17 mags. There is not a lot of room left in this bag, but if I add the HPG kit bag that would work out great.

As a side note, I wouldn't buy anything that was associated with the Red Cross. I have issues with how they have handled large sums of money donated for specific causes numerous times in the past. Only releasing some of the funds and trying to keep the rest in their coffers. When word got out and public outrage was apparent, they would go ahead and release the rest of the funds. Decades ago, my parents were in an area where the Red Cross came in, took over stores and jacked prices up on things. That anecdote and my own observations of their handling of money in my adult lifetime have given me a really bad attitude toward them
  • Stevequatt51, biggin and aaronbailey like this
A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse.

#5 H46USNAC

H46USNAC

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

Awesome kit and great pictures.. thanks for sharing.
I hope do something similar some day but I just too much going on right now to consider survival.. pfft.

Thanks D,

Appreciate it.
  • aaronbailey likes this

#6 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

H46USNAC,

That's one of the best thought out and well organized get home bag's I've ever seen! Great work and thanks for sharing you setup with us. Now I'm gonna have to step up and get my bag together. Unfortunately with my work I sometimes find myself thousands of miles and several oceans away from home...
  • aaronbailey likes this

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#7 H46USNAC

H46USNAC

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

H46USNAC,

That's one of the best thought out and well organized get home bag's I've ever seen! Great work and thanks for sharing you setup with us. Now I'm gonna have to step up and get my bag together. Unfortunately with my work I sometimes find myself thousands of miles and several oceans away from home...

LongHaul,

Thanks for your kind words. My days of being thousands of miles and oceans away from home have long since passed into yesteryear.

By the way, LongHaul, I saw in another post that you are up in Alaska. I spent most of my childhood in Alaska. Great place to grow up as a kid. Had experiences there that I'll always cherish. I still fantasize about running away from it all and going back to Alaska, but a wife and grandchildren will ensure that doesn't happen. The wife would never want to be that far from the grand kids.

Edited by H46USNAC, 30 December 2012 - 08:09 PM.

• aaronbailey likes this

#8 Stevequatt51

Stevequatt51

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida, USA

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

Stevequatt51,

Thanks for the feedback, there is a hand crank/solar powered radio. Same picture as the rifle. It's an Eton Scorpion.
A stripped MRE or two might be a good idea as well. Again, just got to find a place to stuff em. That bag is pretty stuffed. However, with the thought that the clothing, GPS and a couple of other things would be coming out of the bag; I could keep the MRE's in the van and then put them in the bag prior to abandoning the vehicle..... Food for thought.
I'll have to give some thought to the 17 mags. There is not a lot of room left in this bag, but if I add the HPG kit bag that would work out great.

As a side note, I wouldn't buy anything that was associated with the Red Cross. I have issues with how they have handled large sums of money donated for specific causes numerous times in the past. Only releasing some of the funds and trying to keep the rest in their coffers. When word got out and public outrage was apparent, they would go ahead and release the rest of the funds. Decades ago, my parents were in an area where the Red Cross came in, took over stores and jacked prices up on things. That anecdote and my own observations of their handling of money in my adult lifetime have given me a really bad attitude toward them

H46USNAC,
My bad on the radio, I must of missed it...I agree with the Red Cross. I dealt with them as a Vic of a natural disaster, as a first responder, and as the family member of a natural disaster victim...all they are good for is training but when it hits the fan all they do is bring by a meal and some half ass supplies. It's a shame what thy did with all the money post 9/11.

Again, great post...
Posted Image
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” George Orwell

#9 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

H46USNAC, I just have to second everybody's statements. Your kit is one of the best kits I have seen. Thank you for taking the time to break it out for us like you did. I keep the vast majority of those items in my vehicle, but it is not nearly that organized and not all ready to go in one single bag.

Thanks again.

Edited by davis.agd, 31 December 2012 - 04:38 AM.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#10 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Pretty good kit. Have you thought of adding an ETA Kit or Similar Blow-Out Kit along with a Tourniquet, SAM Splint and Heart Meds for Emergencies? Other than that your Kit is pretty good. Also, out of curiosity, How many Magazines could fit in the Henry's Stock? Thank you.
Posted Image

#11 H46USNAC

H46USNAC

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

Pretty good kit. Have you thought of adding an ETA Kit or Similar Blow-Out Kit along with a Tourniquet, SAM Splint and Heart Meds for Emergencies? Other than that your Kit is pretty good. Also, out of curiosity, How many Magazines could fit in the Henry's Stock? Thank you.

Yes, I have thought of adding an ETA kit, tourniquet and a SAM splint. The Heart Meds I have no need for. I would be better off adding something for Poison Ivy down here in the south ( it seems like I'm gonna get that crap if I'm within a 1/4 mile of it )

As for the Henry, it comes with two mags that both fit in the stock. You can buy a third mag that will fit in the stock if you keep it inserted in the in action.

#12 Dirty

Dirty

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

H46USNAC,

I do not have any advice to offer, but I wanted to extend a sincere thanks for sharing.
Since I'm making a post I may as well ask, do you cary a compas or some alternative to the GPS, and do you have an idea of how much the pack weighs?

#13 H46USNAC

H46USNAC

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

H46USNAC,

I do not have any advice to offer, but I wanted to extend a sincere thanks for sharing.
Since I'm making a post I may as well ask, do you cary a compas or some alternative to the GPS, and do you have an idea of how much the pack weighs?

Dirty,

Thanks for thinking about the compass.

Yes, I do have a basic compass in the pack. That and the box of rounds for the rifle were the two things that did not make it into any of the pictures for some reason. Considering that one of the triggers that caused me to start thinking about this pack was having read One Second After; I would have been remiss if I hadn't considered failure or breakage of the GPS.

As for weight, I would estimate 40 lbs +/- 5 lbs. some of that weight would very quickly come out of the pack if I needed to abandon the vehicle such as clothes, rifle ( if the situation warranted it ), hand crank radio, etc.. And would therefore not be on my back for long. Other weight would immediate be added back to the pack prior to walking away from the vehicle such as bottles of water, pry bar and the Snugpak Stratosphere bivvy shelter. I would estimate the final starting weight to be around 50 lbs on my back.

The pack is tightly packed with little room for shifting of weight and is compressible to keep it tight as items are removed.

Edited by H46USNAC, 02 January 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#14 H46USNAC

H46USNAC

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

scrooks298,

I pulled the rifle back out and laid the components out to give you a better idea.
You can see all three magazines, with one lined up where it inserts into the action.
Attached File  image.jpg   371.66KB   13 downloads

H46USNAC,

Dirty,
I thought I'd pull the pack back outta the van and weigh it to give you a more precise answer and to satisfy my own curiosity. All I can say is don't ever take my word when I estimate a weight for you.
I put it on the scale and it weighed in at 25.4 lb with everything you saw in the pictures. Guess I'll have an easier time of it if I do have to walk away from the van. Woohoo!

Edited by H46USNAC, 02 January 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#15 Dirty

Dirty

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

H46USNAC,
Thanks for going through the trouble to take it out and weigh it. My wife is very pleased with that 25.4 lb outcome.
We're actually looking to create simular packs for a simular reason. I literally finished reading One Second After on 01/01/2013, and my wife about a week prior. We're college Students at WCU a little north of you in NC. We're still evaluating our situation, and weather we would want to risk a trip home, about 250 miles by road, or try to make things work here.
I don't want to hi-jack your thread though. I might throw a post up about it and see what input I get from the community.

#16 H46USNAC

H46USNAC

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

H46USNAC,
Thanks for going through the trouble to take it out and weigh it. My wife is very pleased with that 25.4 lb outcome.
We're actually looking to create simular packs for a simular reason. I literally finished reading One Second After on 01/01/2013, and my wife about a week prior. We're college Students at WCU a little north of you in NC. We're still evaluating our situation, and weather we would want to risk a trip home, about 250 miles by road, or try to make things work here.
I don't want to hi-jack your thread though. I might throw a post up about it and see what input I get from the community.

Damn!, that book must have really struck home for you guys with the story centered in North Carolina.
That would be a tough call. My parents only live about 40 miles away and we've already discussed a situation like One Second After.
I'm doing things that I can, now, to help them be better prepared for an emergency such as building and installing a hand pump for their well. It sits in the well casing alongside their electric well pump and if power were to go out temporarily or permanently, they will have access to clean water. They know that if that if a One Second After scenario were to occur, my first priority should and would be the safety of my wife. That said, I would not be hiking 40+ miles to check on them just to turn around and hike 40+ miles to get my backside back home to the wife. So, short of the wife and I doing a complete bug out to evacuate our home and take all we can with us. They would be on their own.

As for the Get Home Bag, any time the wife and I are going anyplace more than a few miles away from home, both of our Get Home Bags get put into whatever vehicle we are driving along with a pair of hiking boots, just in case. We try to be consistent with taking them with us, so that if the need were to arise; we would have them.

#17 Probablytaken

Probablytaken

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Odd, I just finished that book earlier today. Wow those last few chapters are HARD to read.

It definitely is an inspiration to get a good Get Home bag together.

Thanks for sharing.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream.
It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan
Posted Image

#18 TearsOfNorris

TearsOfNorris

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Nicely done. A few suggestions if I may:

If you add a radio receiver, I'd go with the Countycomm GP-4l

Water filter straw is nice, but double-check it, because many of them remove heavy metals but not bacteria. You usually need to boil the water first. I would add a small cookset with an alcohol stove for boiling scavenged water.

Calorie-wise, your food is only good for about 2 days for one person. You will easily burn 3000-4000 calories per day humping a 25lb pack. If you assume 20-30 miles per day (8-10 hours marching at 2-3mph), then your effective range before running out of food on the way home is roughly 50 miles. You will also have to plan in some time preparing your shelter space and finding water before the sun sets, so my range estimate is on the optimistic side. If there is snow on the ground or mud or riots, etc, that range goes way down fast.

If you don't want to make your own, you can buy very inexpensive cooksets and stoves at http://www.intenseou...m/Products.html

One last thing I would personally add is a basic lock pick set like the Bogota flats. One of many reasons is that it expands your options for emergency shelter if you can quietly take the padlock off of an abandoned shed or barn along the way... just remember to replace it when you leave and don't take anything from inside unless your life depends on it.

#19 TearsOfNorris

TearsOfNorris

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

oops, here's the proper link for the radio:
http://www.countycom...m/gp4light.html

#20 Kenny

Kenny

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 137 posts
  • LocationWatauga, TX

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Issue 5 of Recoil magazine has a great article on "Building a Go Bag on a Budget." It talks about how to build a bug out bag for about $300.00. Granted, when building a BoB, you should think more about weight instead of cost (IMHO). However, I think the article provides a good list of the basic items that should be in a BoB. I'm using it and H46USNAC's list to build mine. Great post by the way.
Posted Image

"Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful. Semper Erectus - Always Hard"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users