• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 TearsOfNorris

TearsOfNorris

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

I've become a big fan of IntenseAngler on Youtube as inspiration for new BOB ideas. He has a 5lb overnight kit (not including water or food) that he uses for backpacking. That's right: FIVE POUNDS! And most of his stuff is very low dollar DIY kit. See here:

http://intenseangler...cking-trip.html

#22 H46USNAC

H46USNAC

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Nicely done. A few suggestions if I may:

If you add a radio receiver, I'd go with the Countycomm GP-4l

Water filter straw is nice, but double-check it, because many of them remove heavy metals but not bacteria. You usually need to boil the water first. I would add a small cookset with an alcohol stove for boiling scavenged water.

Calorie-wise, your food is only good for about 2 days for one person. You will easily burn 3000-4000 calories per day humping a 25lb pack. If you assume 20-30 miles per day (8-10 hours marching at 2-3mph), then your effective range before running out of food on the way home is roughly 50 miles. You will also have to plan in some time preparing your shelter space and finding water before the sun sets, so my range estimate is on the optimistic side. If there is snow on the ground or mud or riots, etc, that range goes way down fast.

If you don't want to make your own, you can buy very inexpensive cooksets and stoves at http://www.intenseou...m/Products.html

One last thing I would personally add is a basic lock pick set like the Bogota flats. One of many reasons is that it expands your options for emergency shelter if you can quietly take the padlock off of an abandoned shed or barn along the way... just remember to replace it when you leave and don't take anything from inside unless your life depends on it.

TearsOfNorris,

Great suggestions!
I like the radio you pointed me towards. It looks more fragile, doesn't have a hand crank or solar capability but it does pick up more frequencies. Might be worth having in addition to the Eton Scorpion.

As for the water filter straw, take a stroll over to this website http://eartheasy.com/lifestraw and give it a read. Pretty impressive piece of kit, I think. No need to boil first, you could just about suck turd water with this thing and be ok.

I agree wholeheartedly with your other suggestions:
A cook system would be nice and I do have a Vargo Titanium Decagon Alcohol Stove, a JetBoil, and Esbitt emergency stove
More food! As you clearly point out, I need more food although I could certainly stand to burn more calories than I'm taking in. Help lose some of the good cooking and laziness the years have contributed to my waistline.

The Bogota Flats lock pick set is definitely on the must have list for all the reasons you list.

I have really been trying to stay with the Maxpedition pack that I'm using but there is just about no room left. I'm gonna have to really go through it again and see where I can create some space. That or.... A bigger pack. I do have another pack that would give me more room, it's just doesn't have the organization that the Maxpedition does. Food for thought.

Again, thanks. I truly appreciate the feedback I'm getting from everyone here.

Edited by H46USNAC, 03 January 2013 - 06:21 PM.

A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse.

#23 H46USNAC

H46USNAC

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Issue 5 of Recoil magazine has a great article on "Building a Go Bag on a Budget." It talks about how to build a bug out bag for about $300.00. Granted, when building a BoB, you should think more about weight instead of cost (IMHO). However, I think the article provides a good list of the basic items that should be in a BoB. I'm using it and H46USNAC's list to build mine. Great post by the way.

Kenny,

You're too kind. Just trying to share what I've done and soak in all the good suggestions from the knowledgable and helpful folks that are here. If my list has helped you in any small way; I'm honored.
A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse.

#24 Dirty

Dirty

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Damn!, that book must have really struck home for you guys with the story centered in North Carolina.
That would be a tough call. My parents only live about 40 miles away and we've already discussed a situation like One Second After.
I'm doing things that I can, now, to help them be better prepared for an emergency such as building and installing a hand pump for their well. It sits in the well casing alongside their electric well pump and if power were to go out temporarily or permanently, they will have access to clean water. They know that if that if a One Second After scenario were to occur, my first priority should and would be the safety of my wife. That said, I would not be hiking 40+ miles to check on them just to turn around and hike 40+ miles to get my backside back home to the wife. So, short of the wife and I doing a complete bug out to evacuate our home and take all we can with us. They would be on their own.

As for the Get Home Bag, any time the wife and I are going anyplace more than a few miles away from home, both of our Get Home Bags get put into whatever vehicle we are driving along with a pair of hiking boots, just in case. We try to be consistent with taking them with us, so that if the need were to arise; we would have them.

Yeah, we're real familiar with the area the book was focused on, and the author gives a very accurate description. Even beyond that, I swear he based the leader of the posse on a shift supervisor I had working in a warehouse north of Greensboro NC.
In most situations we're fine to stick to where we are, but for anything long term we're not in a great place. A lot of our evaluation and research we're looking into now is how to identify long-term and short-term situations.
We really want to get bags setup for use when we're on road trips, and come up with some plans for how to react if we're in this college town and something goes really wrong.

#25 blackredux

blackredux

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

I would add more battories. With the GPS more battories are a must. And i would also get all the battorie oporated items to use the same type of battories. AA would be the best, there small and all the types of items you need can use AA. That way you only need one type of battories. Thats my 2cents. I do reily like your kit, thanks for showing it to us.

#26 Anderson

Anderson

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNortheast US

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

Great post. Amazing list, so many things I hadn't thought of. I was actually set on getting a 5.11 Rush 72, I'm reconsidering now that I've seen what you can do with a maxpedition...idk. Anyone have the rush 72? I feel like its more aesthetically pleasing but the Max might be better quality reading some of the reviews for both. Any opinions?

I've been using a crappy ancient military surplus bag from east Germany or something I picked up for 20 bucks when I was a kid. It's essentially just a sack with 2 pockets and a broken straps that have been Jerry rigged. To say I need to get something like the bag the OP has is an understatement.
Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not always truth.
Posted Image

#27 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

In regards to the quality of the 5.11 rush packs, IMHO, they are second to none. Now that said, the 5.11 bags are different and from the Maxp. bags and I think they serve different functions. I personally am a 5.11 guy and own I think 6 of their different bags and packs, including the Rush series. I have been a big fan of their stuff for a long time. I do not own any of the Maxp. products but have messed around with them a fair bit in stores and with bags that my buddies have. I think they are both about equal as far as products go, so I go back to my original statement of each one has different strengths and weaknesses and it really is just a matter of what you are using it for and your personal preferences.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#28 Anderson

Anderson

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNortheast US

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

I also was concerned after reading a few negative reviews on React. Most said the Rush fell apart at the seams, literally. I haven't really been able to find anything bad about the falcon 2 yet. I just want to make sure the 200 dollar bag I invest in is going to hold up. I'm pretty rough on everything.
Posted Image

#29 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

I can only speak from my experience, which is that I have literally beat the hell out of my 5.11 bags and they have never once failed on me.
  • iExpresso likes this

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#30 Anderson

Anderson

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNortheast US

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Dammit. All you've done is make me more unsure! Oh well it does seem like the bags are on the same level. I guess it'll come down to a choice based on looks.
Posted Image

#31 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

I can only speak from my experience, which is that I have literally beat the hell out of my 5.11 bags and they have never once failed on me.

i purchased two backpacks months ago from 5.11 on closeout. the only color they had was in red but i highly recommend the for emergency bags/BOBs

Posted Image

"Any questions, comments, gripes, bitches, or complaints? Well, I will address them in order of the amount of fucks given. Thanks and I don't give a shit how the rest of your day is." 1SG Kirkland

#32 FlashBack

FlashBack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 105 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for this thread and the info...GHB / BOB / etc are things I have on my 13 in 13 list of things to get squared away...once again, thanks for the info and inspiration!
Posted Image
Disarming Victims Doesn't Solve Crime.

#33 Anderson

Anderson

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNortheast US

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

Id like to apologize for high jacking by the way.

Just saw that neither 5.11 or the Maxpeditions are made in the US.

I can't justify the money on a TAD with my current budget. So I found Spec Ops Brand. They've got a bag called T.H.E. Pack. Made in the US, currently on deployment, sub $100 price(at least right now). Not as many bells and whistles as the other two but its got some PALS on it for adding on some stuff and a frame can be purchased if you really want one.
Posted Image

#34 H46USNAC

H46USNAC

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Ok, time for an update to my get home bag contents.....

Thanks to some of the suggestions offered by you like minded individuals, I have now had to pack and re-pack my Maxpedition bag a few times to try to incorporate some of the suggestions you have offered. I have not incorporated everything yet, but that does not mean I won't find a way to get more of the suggestions included. It's more a factor of only so many dollars to spread around at a time.....
and needing to find an elephant to sit on the Maxpedition to help me get it closed.

My bag has expanded to include a Hill People Gear Kit Bag to be worn up front and underneath the Maxpedition bag shoulder straps.
That way if I take the Maxpedition bag off to get something out or had to dump it and scoot, I still retain my weapon.

I have taken the following from the Maxpedition bag and moved to the Hill People Gear Kit Bag
Fischer Space Pen
Write in the rain notepad
ASP Pepper Spray Key Defender
2 chem-lights
The maps

I added to the HPG Kit Bag:
Glock 26 with 3-1/2lb trigger kit and night sights
2 spare magazines for the Glock
SureFire 500 lumen P2X Fury Defender flashlight
Serepick Executive Kit
Original VanGuard Holster with lanyard secured in the HPG Kit bag
2 packs GU Chomps energy chews ( Watermelon and Blueberry Pomegranate )

Attached File  image.jpg   329.83KB   0 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   331.97KB   3 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   330.45KB   4 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   345.16KB   4 downloads

To the Maxpedition I have added:
Sam splint
More water flavorings
Hot-Hands hand warmers
Israeli Bandage
QuikClot gauze
1 pair Nitrile gloves

Still a work in progress and I thank you all for the valuable input you've offered.

Edited by H46USNAC, 15 January 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#35 TearsOfNorris

TearsOfNorris

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

I have not incorporated everything yet, but that does not mean I won't find a way to get more of the suggestions included.

We only pick at minor deficiencies to feel better about our own inferior GHBs. Excellent job, and please keep the updates coming.

Do you have any plans to test it out overnight? I'd love to hear how it works in the field.

#36 H46USNAC

H46USNAC

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

We only pick at minor deficiencies to feel better about our own inferior GHBs. Excellent job, and please keep the updates coming.

Do you have any plans to test it out overnight? I'd love to hear how it works in the field.

I haven't detected anyone picking at deficiencies at all. I take it all as constructive input.

As for an overnight test, I'll have to give it a run sometime soon. Good time of year for it.

Edited by H46USNAC, 15 January 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#37 Liquid_mirage

Liquid_mirage

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

I am new to this site and I am very impressed. Has anyone considered adding a 10 in 1 screw driver?

#38 H46USNAC

H46USNAC

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

I am new to this site and I am very impressed. Has anyone considered adding a 10 in 1 screw driver?

I hadn't considered adding one. Given the limited space in the bag do you really feel it would give me any significant advantage over the Leatherman that I would already have with me?

#39 Liquid_mirage

Liquid_mirage

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

I am an electrician by trade and install all sorts of systems. For security purposes some places use security screws, which a leatherman
can not handle. Some screws are a hex shape with a nipple that sticks up or two dots that are 1/4" apart. There are kits that take up minimal space. Most screws you will encounter are the flat head and phillips. I have a Milwaukee brand with about 30 different tips I use for work.

#40 H46USNAC

H46USNAC

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

I am an electrician by trade and install all sorts of systems. For security purposes some places use security screws, which a leatherman
can not handle. Some screws are a hex shape with a nipple that sticks up or two dots that are 1/4" apart. There are kits that take up minimal space. Most screws you will encounter are the flat head and phillips. I have a Milwaukee brand with about 30 different tips I use for work.

Interesting look from a different perspective. I'll have to give some consideration to adding one to my bag.
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users