• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 Wheelhouse

Wheelhouse

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

Just received a new flashlight and figured there are others besides myself who like flashlights a little more then the average person.  So here's a new one:4Sevens is the company and the light model is the Quark 123-2.  I've read good things about this company and wanted to try one.  This is a 2 battery CR123 type unit, but they also make it for single CR123 and both in AA as well.   The company is based in Atlanta, GA but the units are assembled in China w/ a mix of parts, some that come from here.  The unit is really impressive in terms of assembly, material and performance for the price ($69).  The packaging is even impressive.  https://www.4sevens.comComes with lanyard, carry case, hand strap, extra o-rings and batteries.  Posted ImageHas 8 diff. settings that are able to be programmed into 2 presets.  In other words you can have use of 2 settings (like low and max) but if you want to use another like strobe you will need to program it.  It's actually really easy and pretty nice to have access to the diff. settings.  One of the settings is "Moonlight" which is 0.2 lumens, which is rated for 30 days of use on one set of batteries.  It's perfect for book or map reading.  Many flashlights on "low" setting is still too high to me.  I have a hard time finding lights that operate the way I want, and this one really matches up well for me.  Another plus is the tailcap switch is both momentary and clickable constant.  The kind that is on my Surefire G2 drives me crazy (push for momentary, turn tailcap for constant).  I wish it was able to tailstand to use like a candle, but the base doesn't allow it.  However all you have to do is set it in its holder and use it as the stand.  Rated at 230 lumens at max, I can't confirm that but it's definitely bright as hell (I won't look into it again anytime soon /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_eek.gif).  Here is  a reference for size against a Surefire E2D and Fenix P1D.  I also didn't like carrying the E2D lens-up and this one carries lens-down.Posted ImageThe size is near perfect for me.  The pen is the Embassy Pen from County Comm that I found out about from watching an ITS video that referenced County Comm.  http://www.countycomm.com/PEN.htm   Had been looking at getting  decent pen for awhile, and i'm glad I waited and found this one.  Highly recommend.Didn't mean for this post to go this long, but if you are into lights you should seriously give 4Sevens a look.  For the product and the price of their products, it's getting hard for me to justify another Surefire at this point.  I'm anxious to wring this thing out for some time and see how it holds up, but for now if I had to get another light it would be from 4Sevens.If there are any other light recommendations I like to hear abut them!
Posted Image"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." - Thomas Jefferson

#2 RA09

RA09

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:53 AM

First off, 230 lumens is bright!!  I just received my 5.11 Light for Life (Personal Size) and it is 200 lumens peak (and bright as hell) so you should be doing well with this light.I too am a gear (including lights) enthusiast and have been not very patiently waiting for my LFL that was ordered in December and just now arrived yesterday.  I unfortunatly use lights too much to allow for the use of non-rechargeable batteries with any regularity.  I keep something about this size as the back up to my back up stashed in a pocket.My former primary light, the stinger, was the bomb in its day but has since been replaced by newer stingers (C4 LED etc) and other brands have trounced it with their newer lights. I (unfortunately) will not be receiving any promotional consideration... but I plan on posting a review of the LFL once I've used it at work for a week or two.  So far, just in at home comparisons it has impressed me greatly and with the possibility of a 90 second recharge I'm hooked.
Posted Image

#3 Wheelhouse

Wheelhouse

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

I have seen that 5.11 light in their catalogs for awhile and wondered what was going on, since it didn't seem like they were out in the wild yet.  The 90 second recharge seems incredible to me; it will be interesting to see what you think of it after you've had it for some time.  sounds like it should be a great rechargeable light...
Posted Image"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." - Thomas Jefferson

#4 5Solas

5Solas

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:51 PM

My current carry is a Fenix LD10 and it works very well though the lowest setting is still quite bright.  The battery life is quite excellent and I'm only on my second battery in 9 months.  I'll be sure to check into the 4sevens though, as the very low and very bright settings seem perfect.
Posted Image
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." - Robert E. Lee

#5 Arch

Arch

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

Nice flashlight! I have a Quark Ti 2xCR123, just need some conducting lube or something – battery doesn't make good enough contact, and it flickers a bit. Other than that it's great.How do you have your modes setup? I agree about moonlight – one of my favorite things about this flashlight.

Edited by David.L, 02 April 2010 - 11:27 PM.

Posted Image"Know thy enemy and know thyself and you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.” ~ Sun Tzu

#6 Wheelhouse

Wheelhouse

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:13 AM

David,you should really consider returning that light for them to fix under warranty.  They come w/ a 10 year warranty that should certainly cover that.  They're too expensive (at least to me) to not work exactly as they should.I have mine set on moonlight and max right now.  Another setting is beacon which would really come in handy for things like marking your camp or some area if you need to leave but plan on coming back shortly.  On beacon it flashes at its brightest setting and is rated for 18 hrs. on a set of batteries.

#7 OscarDelta

OscarDelta

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:25 AM

This appears to be a nice package for the price.The Quark would probably make a good back-up flashlight for LE use, bright enough to temporarily blind/disorientate an aggressor to gain momentary advantage etc. Would be nice if they added a crenelated bezel or tailcap.I  prefer my flashlights to run on  AA cells as they are available anywhere worldwide, however the Quark AA model only provides 109 lumens.I'll stick with my Mini-Mag (140 lumens) and 2D (2D6AA) Maglite (600~700 lumens) - both run on rechargeable AA cells!Posted Image../../../wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.png

#8 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:52 PM

I carry 3 lights; I carry a Streamlight Strion LED with recharge kit as a primary and my secondary is a Surefire E1B Backup, my shoulder 'Note writting' light is a QuiqLite with white and red LED's. I used to carry a G2 LED which was great. If you want speed and lumes, its a trade, like everything, but the hard belt mounted scabbard is bad ass. You cant beat the speed on it. My Strion is issued and rechargeable….So its my primary due to cost and my E1B is a wicked backup which I also carry IWB off shift. Posted Image Posted Image 

Posted Image/Users/Nick/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png/Users/Nick/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png/Users/Nick/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png

Edited by CoolBreeze, 24 February 2011 - 04:52 PM.

#9 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

My weapon light is an Elzetta.  I usually carry a Surefire E1E and use various small LED lights.
Posted Image

#10 Irishmanlost

Irishmanlost

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:43 PM

I carry a Led Lenser K3, 15 lumens but super small. May upgrade to a 4sevens Preon 2, on another note 4sevens have free internatonal shipping /wp-content/forum-smileys/thumbup.gif
"The More you sweat in Peace, The less you bleed in war"- Inscription above the entrance to the Navy SEAL Training Center   "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm."- George Orwell

#11 Foxbatt

Foxbatt

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBedford Texas

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

streamlight PT2AA as my main light.  uses double A batteries and puts out 120 lumens. Multi function tailcap does high beam, strobe, and low beam streamlight TLR-1 for my weapon and a coule other little LED lights in either red or white.
 Good…Bad….Ugly….Im the guy with the spoon Posted Image

#12 900189515

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:06 AM

Here and here.Picked this one up a few days ago and I love it! PT 1L (ProTac series) by Streamlight is a great pocket light with plenty of power in a small package. Uses the 3 volt lithium battery. I picked mine up a Mid-Ga Tactical for around $45. Great price for a pocket light on par with more expensive models. (Surfire for instance) It's slightly bigger than a Bic lighter and weighs less than my Zippo. It runs in three modes: High @ 110 lumens, low @ 12 lumens, and strobe. It came with a nylon case that can be worn on the belt and it has a removable clip. The only drawback is that it gets warm after five minutes of continuous use on the high mode. While it is not the only light I have, it is my EDC.Don't know if the links came through as I posted on another forum.

Posted Image /wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.png                                                                                 

Amatuers train until they get it right, professionals train until they can't get it wrong!

#13 Tank

Tank

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:42 AM

My new EDC light is the Streamlight PT2L.  Fantastic light, larger and brighter than the PT1L, but only about $5 more (where I purchased mine anyway).I chose the PT2L over the PT1l because I found the PT1L to bee too small to easily manipulate while also using a handgun.
/wp-content/plugins/bj-lazy-load/img/placeholder.gif/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.png"Horror… Horror has a face… and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends.If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies!"

#14 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:40 AM

Tank said:

My new EDC light is the Streamlight PT2L.  Fantastic light, larger and brighter than the PT1L, but only about $5 more (where I purchased mine anyway).I chose the PT2L over the PT1l because I found the PT1L to bee too small to easily manipulate while also using a handgun.

I recently picked up a PT2L and I've been pretty happy with the performance. It fits well in my pocket and hasn't caused me any issues yet. Where did you get yours and do you remember what the price was?
Posted Image

#15 NOLATAC

NOLATAC

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:09 AM

I am a 4-Sevens Dealer, and I have to say that the Fenix and 4-Sevens line is an outstanding value for the performance. I have been running them as duty, EDC, vehicle, and overseas lights for about the last 2 years, and they are almost indestructible. I have had a customer have one get hot an overheat, but other than that, they really do give you a great product for the money. I am a huge fan of the Fenix LD10 / Quark AA as an EDC light. I like the AA cell for EDC and find the lumen output is WAY more than adequate. I prefer the Quark due to the momentary tailcap, but the LD10 will get the job done too. I am working with a couple of Kydex guys to try and get a line of kydex EDC/CCW and duty holders for them.

#16 Kenny

Kenny

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 137 posts
  • LocationWatauga, TX

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:29 AM

I have a Fenix LD10 as part of my EDC. It's an extremely bright light for its size. I would love to find a bracket (either under barrel or side mount) to mount it to my Smith & Wesson M&P .45.
Posted Image

"Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful. Semper Erectus - Always Hard"

#17 Gomer

Gomer

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 24 posts
  • LocationDavenport, Iowa

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:03 AM

I carry a Fenix PD35 with me at work (LEO) and off duty. I switched from the PT2L and don't regret it at all. After about 3 years my PT2L gave out on me and the bulbs got dim. the PD35 does go thru batteries faster than a PT2L however is significantly brighter at max output. I don't even notice a difference in carry size. Definitely worth looking into, I think I paid around $70-$75 for it from LAPolicegear.

Never, Never, Never Give Up.-Winston Churchill

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#18 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

A Quark 123^2 Turbo has been part of my EDC for a couple years now, with a Quark Mini-123 serving as lightweight head-mounted light when needed. The Turbo is bright as hell in turbo mode and doesn't seem to chew through batteries. I have, however, supplimented it with a Fenix LD10 since it uses a less-expensive battery (single AA vs 2x CR123) and you can cycle through the outputs. I'm thinking of replacing my Turbo with a QP2A-X (2x AA cell Quark) for EDC so that I can swap batteries between both EDC lights and my Garmin. Like my Solarforce L2 (currently on my rifle), the Turbo will then become a dedicated weaponlight. The Streamlight Stylus Pro pen lights ride in my shoulder bag and larger FAK (Blackhawk Medic Roll) due to their small size and reasonable price tag.

IMG_0410.jpg

#19 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to add you can score a Fenix PD35 from Firearmsprostore.com for about $63 plus shipping using discount code "nutnfancy". On the same site with same discount code the Quark QP2A-X (280 lumen 2xAA light) is $55.25, the Fenix LD10 is $45.86, and the Quark Preon 2 is only $34.85

#20 juicer5.56

juicer5.56

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:03 PM

Im looking at a Fenix LD11 as an EDC light. Anyone have any experience with this light?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users