20 replies to this topic

#1 Klarktx

Klarktx

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 226 posts
  • LocationFlowery Branch, Ga

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

I rotate and train with my daily carry. I travel a large amount of my time, so my most carried is my G19 ( dependable and lower cost if stolen).

But when home and around, I just beam with pride while I carry my S&W 1911sc E Series.
It shoots far better than I do.

Bobbed, tight slide and crisp trigger.
Paired with the custom RGrizzle holster, I walk taller.

Show them guys !!!

Attached File  image.jpg   276.28KB   5 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   226.88KB   4 downloads

I take alot of my courses with the Kimber. Super Carry Pro. Guess its my workhorse.

Attached File  image.jpg   334.61KB   3 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   888.55KB   2 downloads

Edited by Klarktx, 28 January 2013 - 09:59 PM.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

I'm jealous... I've always wanted a classic 1911 but for whatever reason I always go a different direction.
My neighbor is a 80's something Korean War Veteran and he's tasked me with getting a Colt 1911 to shoot again before he dies. (thanks for the pressure Mr. Gardner)

I'm trying to track one down that is circa 1940's - 1950's but may need to settle (said with a laugh) with a new Kimber. Since I wouldn't consider myself a collector the history behind it would be somewhat wasted on me (though I totally get it and if found at a reasonable price would jump on it).

Regardless, beautiful firearms!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 Klarktx

Klarktx

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

DStevenson,

Good luck. They are out there, just have to be patient and look.

Keep us posted

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#4 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

DStevenson,
PM Sent

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#5 renomax

renomax

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 53 posts
  • Locationcentral oklahoma

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

Klarktx, nice handguns. My son picked up an American Tactical 45 cal. for $450 and brought it out for a shoot. For the money I thought it was very smooth and accurate. Love the Kimbers but a bit pricey for me. Now, the big problem is finding ammo at a fair price.

#6 Klarktx

Klarktx

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 226 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Reno
I've heard good things about them. Rock Island makes a good 1911.

But as for the higher end models, its more about longevity. As with anything, you simply get what you pay for, but it depends on your needs. Want a 1911 for just plinking and learning the platform with, go lower end. But if you feel it will be a gun you eventually run hard and put 10,000 rounds thru, save up and get quality. I have a Springfield Loaded that is a work horse.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#7 Teslaus

Teslaus

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 12 posts
  • LocationLast Frontier State

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

Not to resurrect an old thread. But it's something I'd like to have contributed too. This is my duty gun. I used to carry a Glock 21sf & changed over this past April. It's a Springfield LW Operator. Came with night sights, ambi safety, weapon light rail. I sent it off to the custom shop for some extras. I'm thinking I'll run this setup for a lil bit & then pick up a Colt rail gun. Carry a 1911, carry a top tier 1911 (granted Springfield Armory is IMO one of the top 3 1911 Manufacturer)

Extras:
Re-Throat Barrel
Polish Feed ramp
Tune Extractor
20 lines per inch checking on front grip
One piece magazine well with matching checkering
Tune trigger pull (4lbs)
G.I. Guide Rod (I wanted a tool-less disassemble option for field stripping)

Added:
Surefire X300 Ultra - 500 Lumens (blinds perps till they're deer's in the head lights)
VZ Grips - Operator Grip
Wilson Combat Elite Tactical Magazine - 8 Rounds
Raven Concealment Phantom Light Comp. Holster with QMS belt loops

Altogether it cost just under $1,700.00 for the gun and custom options. (not including the additional items)

Posted Image

Edited by Teslaus, 17 July 2013 - 07:10 AM.

#8 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

Sharp looking sidearm.... tough to find flaws with a 1911!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

#9 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

Love that it's chilling on a Glock mat

#10 Teslaus

Teslaus

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 12 posts
  • LocationLast Frontier State

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

Thx, I carried the Glock for years. The mat is what I lay my guns on for cleaning. It's irony at its bet tho ;) I do however carry a Glock 30 as a back up on duty. So I still pay homage to the Glock for protection.
  • AaronK likes this

#11 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Oddly enough if I was super impressed with the ATI 1911. I sold a metric pile of them because they were only 499.95 and people that want a 1911 and dont want to spend a lot of money could get a good deal. 

there are a lot of crappy 1911's out there. I tend to tell everyone to get the same thing.

Go with: Kimber, Springfield, Remington (some), Old Colts, Wilson, Nighthawk

Stay Away From: Ruger, Armscor, umarex, Sig Sauer, New Colts

I am a major Sig fanboy but their 1911 is way overpriced for what you get and their parts arent all interchangeable. Which made me sad. I had a sig scorpion as a companion to my kimber desert warrior but alas... it wasnt the same. 

Personally I carry a Nighthawk AAC. I would love to tell everyone to go buy one but they are cost prohibitive. The only reason I got one was I was a Nighthawk Dealer at the store and got it for 2400... but I can say this... the very second you get one in your hand it is worth the 3200 dollars... every penny. Only 1911 I have ever bought that even stood close to it was a Springfield Armory FBI contract full rail TRP Operator.

Posted Image

#12 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:19 AM

My next purchase this year will be a 1911 for sure, Springfield version. All black. :)

Posted Image

#13 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

Unfortunately, I am not a sucker for the 1911. Will I eventually get one for the sentimental value? Yes, but that's about the extent.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#14 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

If I'm honest, I just don't like 1911's... I want a WW2 era, mil issue 1911 as an interactive museum piece for my collection, but that's about the extent of my 1911 interest.

89BccLb.png

#15 Millertime1103

Millertime1103

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

Previous to my CDP II, I had always romanticized about the idea of owning a 1911 but never could rationalize dropping the coin on a Springfield or Kimber. Figured if I'd ever get one, it'd be an investment to start a tradition and pass down. A buddy of mine offered me a stellar deal on his Kimber and I just love the way it shoots, looks and feels. I probably won't pursue another unless its a great deal because I do consider myself more of a Sig/HK kinda guy.

-- Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Posted Image

#16 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

I do love the 1911 handgun and always enjoy shooting them and with their nice slim profile they are comfortable to carry, but I would never choose a 1911 over one of my Glocks for EDC or defensive carry. 

I've had an older Colt 1911 for year, in fact it was the first handgun I ever bought at the young age of 11 (because Alaska), and I have since retired it to a life of living on the shelf, but a couple years ago I had a dream of getting a sweet Kimber so I picked up a Pro TLE/RL II and it is an awesome gun, but if I had it to do over again, I would have spent that $900 on something more practical and a few rounds of ammo to go with it. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#17 mike2468

mike2468

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

If I'm honest, I just don't like 1911's... I want a WW2 era, mil issue 1911 as an interactive museum piece for my collection, but that's about the extent of my 1911 interest.

I also want a WW2 era 1911 for my collection. Would be a cool piece of history to own.

Tu7wwUX_zps4005c234.png

Strive to be a leader of Character, Competence, and Courage

#18 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

My father-in-law and his neighbor are both Korean War vets and carried the 1911 as their sidearm.

His neighbor wanted to shoot a 1911 again before he died and I'm still trying to make that work but I want to get him on a classic old WWII 1911 instead of a beautiful Kimber.

I don't doubt he would respect where the 1911 has gone, but I truly think he wants to hold that same 1911 that helped him become a man.

Edited by DStevenson, 21 February 2014 - 12:18 PM.

• Davis likes this

#19 mike2468

mike2468

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

My father-in-law and his neighbor are both Korean War vets and carried the 1911 as their sidearm.
His neighbor wanted to shoot a 1911 again before he died and I'm still trying to make that work but I want to get him on a classic old WWII 1911 instead of a beautiful Kimber.
I don't doubt he would respect where the 1911 has gone, but I truly think he wants to hold that same 1911 that helped him become a man.

I think your right, it would be different. Thats cool that you are helping him find one.

Tu7wwUX_zps4005c234.png

Strive to be a leader of Character, Competence, and Courage

#20 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

I wish you the best of luck on it, if I come across one (want one though I do) I will pass the info on to you first. Yours is a much more worthy cause.

89BccLb.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users