7 replies to this topic

#1 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

So, I have never been a big fan of ear muffs for hearing protection, typically I just use ear plugs... but, now that I am living down here in the lower 48 and cannot just go shoot outside easily, I am facing having to go to some indoor ranges (something I don't really care for either). Anyway, shooting inside is obviously a bit harder on the ears than shooting outside, so with that in mind I need some good ear muffs. I know the top end is the MSA Sodrin series, but I'm not sure if I need to go that far yet. I do not however do cheap "walmart" anything, so if I'm going to get something I want it to be good and low profile. I'm seeing the Peltor electronic ear pro for around $50 or so which seems reasonable.

What do you guys use and like and why?

Thanks fellas!

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

I use Peltor Tactical 6 electroics and I have been really happy with them. I've gone through 2 sets in about 5 years which I think is a little on the iffy side, but it may have just been a bum set.
My first set just started going to all static even with a fresh set of batteries (which they can burn through).
The fit nicely under my helmet (Ops-Core) and I don't have any discomfort with or without the helmet.

http://www.cabelas.c...ch-All Products

Not sure if the whole link will pass through (its pretty long) but they are on sale for $59.99 at Cabelas, down from $74.99.

My next set will be a set of Peltor Comtacs, assuming they do at least as well with noise reduction.
  • Davis likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

Stevenson, thanks for the feedback on the Peltor Tactical 6. I was looking at those so it's good to hear your positive review. Two sets in five years, for that price seems pretty reasonable to me.

As for the Peltor Comtac... I just ordered several sets of those for work (to go with the Ops-Core helmets that you can I have previously thoroughly discussed). But the Comtac series is an a comms headset that I will be using to plug in to the comm system on my helicopters... do they also make a version that is just Ear Pro or are you planning on plugging them into a radio system? (I'm just curious).

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#4 tumbleweed

tumbleweed

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 158 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

I am a cheap bastard and have been using the Caldwells http://www.midwayusa...rmuffs-nrr-23db

I have no complaints the protection is good for me, have lost 80% in left ear anyways. Plus being partially deaf helps with the wife ;) LOL

The noise cancellation is good, reasonably comfortable, and if you don't like them then you are not out a lot of cash. On busy days, or the guy with the frickin hand cannon is next to my lane I usually double up with plugs and muffs.
Posted Image
Carpe Ductem!
Oath Keeper

#5 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

I do plenty of indoor shooting/training during the winter months and have never felt the need for ear muffs. What kind of ear plugs are you currently using? I run Surefire Sonic defenders all the time and love them to death. http://www.surefire....-defenders.html

Maybe give those a look first. Far less cumbersome than full muffs and do every bit as good a job at protecting your ears.
  • Davis likes this

NoTMZyB.png

#6 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

Why get the ComTac? For me... because. I have more money than smarts and I don't like to go cheap.
I have no intentions of using the comms portion but I like knowing I have it if I ever find a use for it.
From everything I have seen the ComTac is basically the milcom version of the Tactical 6's. Upgraded circuitry and higher dependability.

If I can plug them into my long range walkies then I will be golden =D
  • Davis likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#7 Geist

Geist

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

For indoor I usually run Howard Leight Impact Sport Muffs and regular ear plugs for added protection.

I did just pick up a pair of the Surefire Sonic defenders SwatDawg uses and can't wait to try how they hold up indoor, my initial thoughts are they are really comfortable and the idea of being able to hear without dealing with Earmuff+safety glasses pains is a huge bonus, they are pretty cheap might give them a shot.

#8 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

I do plenty of indoor shooting/training during the winter months and have never felt the need for ear muffs. What kind of ear plugs are you currently using? I run Surefire Sonic defenders all the time and love them to death. http://www.surefire....-defenders.html

Maybe give those a look first. Far less cumbersome than full muffs and do every bit as good a job at protecting your ears.

I had been looking at the Sonic defenders but have not tried them yet. I will pick up a pair and give them a go now hearing from you. I really cannot stand wearing full muffs.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users