Photo

Prescription shooting/safety glasses recommendations?

Safety equipment eyewear

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Validating
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

I have now decided to spend more time learning to shoot, and am starting to invest the money in higher quality safety equipment for the range. Among these are improved shooting glasses. I wear prescription lenses, and so believe I ought to invest in a proper pair of shooting rather than continue with just the prescription sunglasses I have been using. I don't do contacts, and I am not going to put a second set of frames on top of the ones I am wearing (a la when working with power tools).

In researching this online, I find a number of firms that seem to offer very reasonable frames for a reasonable amont of money. But one really has to try on frames, and there are not any frame shops near here that I know of that serve the shooting community.

Could any members here recommend particular online retailers or particular manufacturers of frames?

#2 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

I highly recommend Rudy Project. They make great Rx sunglasses and you can get Rx clear lenses. If not Rudy, find a wrap around Rx glasses if you plan to use them with a rifle. If you are Military or Law Enforcement, Rudy will give you %50 off.

#3 Geist

Geist

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

If you use ear muffs ESS Crossbow supressors are really nice and have a place for Rx inserts.
http://www.esseyepro....html#_overview
http://www.esseyepro...191_detail.html

Edited by Geist, 11 March 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#4 tumbleweed

tumbleweed

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 158 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

I use Oakley you can get them in prescription too or WileyX you can get prescription an inserts depends on what you want.
Posted Image
Carpe Ductem!
Oath Keeper

#5 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

I cannot say enough good things about Oakley products and you can get their gear with Rx lenses.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#6 tumbleweed

tumbleweed

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 158 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Just remembered be careful if you get a regular place like lens crafter to replace lenses, because of the wrap around in most shooting glasses it causes distortion if you get a pair and have them put lenses in. You are better off having Oakly or Wiley do it at the factory where they can correct for that issue.
Posted Image
Carpe Ductem!
Oath Keeper

#7 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Validating
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

These are all very helpful and appreciated. A newb question: do shooting glasses normally come as frames that you then use with multiple inserts, or are they normally fixed, if we're dealing with prescription frames? I am entertaining the idea of having these be multipurpose safety glasses, usable on the range or in rugged activities where my nice wire rims dare not go. Should I be getting dedicated shooting glasses, or can I get multipurpose active ones?

#8 pnc

pnc

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Armitage12,
The staff over at luckygunner did a torture test comparison of various eye protection options. Might be of interest to you when making a decision.
http://www.luckygunn...eview/#more-738

#9 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

These are all very helpful and appreciated. A newb question: do shooting glasses normally come as frames that you then use with multiple inserts, or are they normally fixed, if we're dealing with prescription frames? I am entertaining the idea of having these be multipurpose safety glasses, usable on the range or in rugged activities where my nice wire rims dare not go. Should I be getting dedicated shooting glasses, or can I get multipurpose active ones?

I personally use my eye pro for anything that I need it for, be it shooting or something else. I use Oakley glasses and I do not really have dedicated pairs for any one task. That said, I think it really comes down to money, if you have the funds and can afford multiple pairs of high quality eye pro, then go for it!

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#10 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

Just remembered be careful if you get a regular place like lens crafter to replace lenses, because of the wrap around in most shooting glasses it causes distortion if you get a pair and have them put lenses in. You are better off having Oakly or Wiley do it at the factory where they can correct for that issue.

Most definitely!

Id also recommend against inserts in plano lens eye pro. They fog up quicker, get horrible smudges, and never stay clean. I would try to find interchangeable Rx lens/frame so you can adjust for lighting conditions. Example, dont try to make entry on a crack house with dark lenses! It may be ok for parimeter work on a sunny day but you need intermediate lens to clear that house. I dont like toting two different Rx eye pros when i could just tote an extra lens or two. For one, its extra weight/bulk. Second, its expensive. Just saying.

#11 twebster

twebster

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

I've been using Revision SawFlys for a couple years now. I have a large head, and they offer a regular and a wide model. The inserts look a little dorky with clear lenses, but they work well and can be switched into Revision's Locust dust/sand goggles. The SawFlys also enable you to swap out clear/smoke/yellow lenses for your shooting environment.

They offer good protection, and as far as comfort and fogging, they have worked fine for me in cold dry environments (CO) and hot wet environments (TX).

#12 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

Check out the ESS CDI glasses. Lenses are swappable so you can go clear, hi-def yellow, etc for shooting or pop in tinted for sunglasses. Frames are affordable ($100) and each lens pair is $24. And that's MSRP from their website, I'm sure at least the frames can be had elsewhere around teh interwebz for less. I'm planning on ordering a pair.
  • Armitage12 likes this

#13 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Validating
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Thank you all--keep it coming.

#14 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Validating
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

So an update as the learning process continues. I went shooting on Friday with some friends and wore sunglasses (temporary solution until I get the good ones, and it was sunny). Took my glasses off at the end of the day (on the range for six hours) and I was astonished by the quantity of particulate matter on them. I spent the time on the far right side of a line of shooters, but the wind was mostly from our backs, so even with the wind blowing most of it away I still caught a lot on the glasses. Now I'm firmly convinced I'm going to want a nice pair with the wraps on the edges to bring the glasses flush with my face above the cheekbone.

If anyone has other recommendations, do post them. I have Revision, CDI, Rudy Project, and the Lucky Gunner review to work my way through now, and will be pulilng the trigger, so to speak, on a pair here shortly. Thanks again to all the excellent suggestions.

#15 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Validating
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

An update for everyone on what I was able to learn and what I am obtaining. After much research (particularly through the very helpful Lucky Gunner review) I am acquiring a pair of Wiley X Talon protective glasses. Because I have to wear prescription lenses (and am mucked up--one near and one far) I opted to follow the U.S. Army's recommended list of protective eyewear (the APEL), and then only those that were (a) not goggles and (B) could take prescription lens inserts. I then had to find out which frames were available (1) through a local provider, so I could actually try on a pair, and (2) would be covered by my insurance company with all the perquisites of my employer's benefits plan. Thus, I'm getting Wiley X Talons with prescription lense inserts, three interchangable protective lenses (clear, black and yellow), and probably some snazzy case. There better be a morale patch. For me, I am paying about $100. YMMV, but I think this is a good amount to pay (I've paid more for the regular glasses I get) and immeasurably better than the medical bills should something stupid happen on the range.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
  • iExpresso likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users