• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Omer Baker

Omer Baker

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

The battery indicator on my Core has shown up and after some research I'm still not sure if I need a new o-ring seal with the battery or just the battery. I don't want to let water in and ruin it. Also if I do need the o-ring, where's a good place to get it. Thanks!

#2 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

I own a Suunto Vector and the instructions said change the O-ring at the same time as the battery each time. I got my replacement kit (battery, o-ring, and new battery cover) from our local REI. I did a quick search of the web and didn't see the full replacement kit for your Core. You might want to contact Suunto and find out if you need the full kit. Good luck!

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#3 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

I may be a bad Vector owner but I've only changed my battery o-ring once. That was when I bought a whole new battery kit from Suunto that included a new rear cover.

Amazon has a kit but it does not say that it fits the Core so it won't work for you but this is what I've used in the past. It also most likely wouldn't work for you because it's a plastic cover and you need the metal one.

From what I understand, you may not need to replace the o-ring along with the battery but it's not a bad idea to do so. Just make sure it's clean and not full of gunk and grime.

In a forum on watchuseek, there was talk about getting some replacement o-rings on eBay:

I just wanted to point out that it seems likely that these are generic o-rings that are "about the right size". As far as I can tell there is no way to buy Suunto-provided o-rings for the Core (and a call to Finland seemed to confirm this). All the legitimate retailers selling battery kits for the core are selling just the battery (or are selling a kit intended for a different watch).

I don't want to put one of the ebay o-rings in my watch when I change the battery, so I'll likely just keep the current one for a change or two, and then kindly ask Suunto service to send me a replacement o-ring.

Also, in a different watchuseek forum, there was a tip about using a bottle opener to easily open the battery cover of the Core:

Posted Image

Hope that helps!

#4 Omer Baker

Omer Baker

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

Awesome info! Thank you both for the quick responses. I'll prob just go to amazon and pick up a new battery.

#5 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

The battery indicator on my Core has shown up and after some research I'm still not sure if I need a new o-ring seal with the battery or just the battery. I don't want to let water in and ruin it. Also if I do need the o-ring, where's a good place to get it. Thanks!

Ive have had a suunto vector for about 7 years, only changing the oring every 3rd battery. I have been wearing a core for 3 years, changing battery 2 or 3 times, and no oring replacement.

Other than their dive watches, i wouldnt suggest changing the oring every time. Unless you expose the watch to extreme temperatures(cold & hot) and/or humidity(dry & wet).

Like others i think have said, check the oring for drying out or damage when you replace the battery. Then replace as necessary.
  • mikejulietpapa likes this

#6 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

You do not change the battery cover on the Core like you do the Vector, just the battery and O-ring.

I change the o-ring and battery at the same time on my Core for piece of mind. The kit with the ring is not terribly expensive.
Posted Image

#7 Marinemarc82

Marinemarc82

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

You do not change the battery cover on the Core like you do the Vector, just the battery and O-ring.

I change the o-ring and battery at the same time on my Core for piece of mind. The kit with the ring is not terribly expensive.

Hey I love the Suunto Core. The best feature for me is the weather warning. I do a lot of hiking during the summer and the storms can move in quite quickly here. As far as the battery is concerned definitely use a good quality battery like Sony or Energizer and always change the o ring because those can wear out after some time. If you just want to buy the battery and o ring i found it available here for a few bucks.

With normal use you should only have to change the battery once a year. Incidentally the Suunto Lumi and Core use the same kit. Hope this info helps. Thanks

#8 vandal

vandal

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

My core low batt indicator came on so I replaced the battery. After that I would randomly find he watch reset -- time blinking. Replaced battery again. No joy. Sent it to Suunto, who just returned it saying "Yiu had a Suunto-incompatible battery installled." Really! The Energizer CR2032s I had used are pictured on Suunto's website in the Replacement Battery section.

They sent me a Maxell.

#9 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 244 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

O-Rings will also degrade over time. They have a shelf life uninstalled as well, so I'd say at a minimum every 5 years to keep the material in good shape. Different materials will have different install times. I'd wager since I regularly work in -40 C or so, up to 45 C above, an O-Ring in my watch is going to less significantly less time.

Check for lube compatibility as well when reinstalling the O-Ring. It can help prevent the O Ring from drying out and aging prematurely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users