• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jester

Jester

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:28 PM

***Wasn't really sure where to post this. Mods, feel free to move if necessary.***Just picked this up a couple days ago...Posted Image <-- Click for bigger pic.Light For Life Flashlight PC3.300 | Flashlights | 5.11 TacticalThe PC3.300 is the new, smaller light from 5.11. It doesn't use batteries, but instead, it uses capacitors, which is supposed to make it more reliable. It has an approximate 1 hour run time, but, it only takes 90 seconds to fully recharge! So far:Pros:- You can leave it on the charger around the clock, in fact, it's recommended.- 3 different settings, including the ever annoying strobe./wp-content/forum-smileys/smiley_evilGrin.gif- Dual buttons- Charger is designed for vehicle use. DC is standard. The house adapter is separate (included), and a very simple configuration.Cons:- Rear button is almost flush, so it can be difficult to activate, but that can also be a good thing.- There isn't an actual pouch designed for it yet.With no pouch directly designed for it, I've been having good luck with the ASP Duty Scabbard. It has a belt loop that attaches with a one way "security" button, and elastic sides, which give it a snug feel, that keeps it in there, until you need it. I've also used the Bianchi Accumold ASP/Stinger holder, it's a little more snug, but it still gets the job done. I haven't had good luck with rechargeables in the past so, in fact, if this one doesn't work out, I'm swearing them off altogether. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to seeing how this light works out. I'll be putting it through its paces, and I'll keep you guys updated.
Posted Image

#2 Bryan Black

Bryan Black

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

Nice write-up brother! Keep us posted on how the light is working out for you! /wp-content/forum-smileys/anim_beer.gifEmail us and we'll get your title changed to Plank Owner too!

#3 RA09

RA09

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:38 AM

I too bought one of these, actually last December when they were supposed to be released, and received it end of April.  I have used the light on duty for just shy of a month now and love it so far.One of my more skeptical co-workers made the comment before it arrived there is "no way" it only takes 90 seconds to charge.  My response was that even if it took 5 minutes it was better than the 8 plus hours my stingers have taken over the years.  Of course, it truly does only take 90 seconds.The scabbard issue has been troubling for some of the other guys I work with who have bought this light.  I had JG Uniforms in Chicago custom build my outer vest carrier and, with a little forethought, had them include a light pouch that accomodates the LFL no problem.  It has worked out on my carrier better than I expected even in fights.My partner carries his in either his cargo pocket or an old stinger scabbard he stretched a little. Either way 5.11 needs to hurry up and make a wider selection of scabbards for these lights so they are more accepted by the masses.As far as function goes, I have been very impressed.  I have had the opportunity to compare the LFL to several other lights and the only light truly brighter is the Stinger LED HP.  The Stinger LED has a more focused point of light and is like a search light, great for distances.  The LFL is much brighter than the other lights tested and has the underlying bonus of the lack of battery and 90 second charge.The one thing that bugged me initially was the button programming.  5.11 has subsequently fixed the issue by offering 3 different models (P1, P2, P3) - each with different configurations for the button.  My P1 works well for me but it would be nice to have waited for the P2 where the brightest setting is the default "one click" option.  As it stands, the P1 requires you to hold the button down to get the 200 lumen output.Any "CON" that I could find is immediately overridden by the 90 second charge.  I can't say enough about the ability to recharge on a traffic stop if necessary.  5.11 does recommend to keep the LFL on its charger as much as possible but it is not necessary.  I have been averaging 2-3 shifts of consistent use on one charge. I've also dropped the light during a fight, accidentally thrown it at a suspect while running and used it in the rain with no problems.  The light is much lighter than I'm used to with battery based lights, which can be good or bad depending on the situation.  It has a "ruggedized" rubber coating on the grip and each button housing is sealed fairly well against water/dirt.  You can find replacement parts for each button, the lens and the bezel online through 5.11 and probably Ebay very soon.The bottom line is I highly recommend this light to anyone who uses one on a regular basis. 
Posted Image

#4 CENTCOMSurvivor

CENTCOMSurvivor

Down Wit' Da Hui

• 947 posts
  • LocationTampa/St Petersburg Florida

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:00 AM

Its been a few months, how are they holding up? 
Posted Image

#5 Jester

Jester

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:30 PM

Thank for the reminder. lol I've been using it on and off lately. It primarily stays in my truck. Unless it's under my truck... Yeah, I managed to run it over. I'll post some pics of it when I get a chance. It still works, just a little deformed on the tail end. Since one of the ways it attaches to the charging base is a magnet (not very strong, but still useful), I had it stuck to my roof pointed at the hood while I filled out a FIR. Well, something happened, (can't remember what), I jumped back in my truck, started driving, and then I saw it slide off, and then heard he truck roll over it. First time in all my years of using lights I've ever ran one over. Go figure. Oh yeah, even though its pretty light weight, I managed to rattle this guys noggin about a month back. /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_rolleyes.gif
Posted Image

#6 Blade Stalker

Blade Stalker

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:07 AM

I know it has been a while for this post and sheath for the light must have been made but, have you triedthe "Nite Ize Lite Holster?" It's a Universal Holster for flashlights and it works well by stretching to the size of the light. Posted Image
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users