Photo

Gun cleaning gear. What do you use and why?

Guns cleaning

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 RHUDSO5

RHUDSO5

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

Well to start off I use Gunzilla as my cleaning agent. I have a portable kit that I have assembled and a main cleaning kit at the house. Gunzilla is the best thing I have found so far for cleaning copper out of barrels and powder and soot residue inside the firearm.
Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast
Posted Image

#2 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

I use Breakfree CLP but I I plan on switching up to Frog Lube.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#3 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

I've heard good things about Frog Lube and will probably go that route when my supplies run out but I'm using M-Pro at the moment.
I really need to clean my guns again... damn this thread.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#4 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

Good ole Breakfree CLP. i only have a little bit left so i will be try out something else soon. I am just glad i have a need for it now that im at the department range training twice a month.

#5 twebster

twebster

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

I switched to Frog Lube for the AR's and pump shotgun about 9 months ago with good luck, but am a little concerned how it it will act in sub-freezing temps -- but also haven't used our CO cold snaps to test it either.

Still using Hoppes #9 and Super Lube (grease and oil) on Sigs and M1A.

As far as kit, I've got bits and parts of a number of kits from over the years. For the rifles, I've pretty much switched to OTIS for the potability and the ability to clean the M1A from breach to bore.

#6 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

I had been using Hoppes #9 and the Hoppes Elite Lubricant but after recently running out, I tried Slip2000 EWL. Bryan has suggested it to me before and I had been meaning to try it out. I used their de-greaser and it worked extremely well to remove carbon buildup in the AR. The lubricant went on very easily. I've only had it on for about a week so I'm not really able to analyze it but the de-greaser worked wonderfully.
Posted Image

#7 Slim

Slim

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Froglube CLP Paste. I bought the kit and really only seem to use the paste out of it as it's the easiest to apply. It's the only thing that has ever touched my 1911 and has worked well for me. The dirtiest of the dirty ammo will clean out easy.

#8 Klarktx

Klarktx

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 226 posts
  • LocationFlowery Branch, Ga

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

Froglube. Good enough for my morning toast, perfect for my weapons.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#9 RHUDSO5

RHUDSO5

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

Ok I've heard a lot about froglube. Most people have good things to say about it. Is it a true CLP? Also forgot to mention gunzilla is a clp too. What is it that makes it better than the rest?
Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast
Posted Image

#10 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

I like froglube because it's non-toxic and it does an amazing job of forming a barier between the metal and the carbon. I've cleaned my rifle down 2-3 weeks after shooting and all it really required was a quick wipedown with a microfiber rag and a couple dry patches down the barrel.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#11 EDC_Crazy

EDC_Crazy

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

I've been using Hoppes on my Glock 19. Couple guys at the range were talking about Ballistol and swore by it. However no one locally carries it so I haven't been able to try it. Anyone here have any experience with Ballistol?

#12 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:02 AM

Frog Lube.
Posted Image

#13 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:06 AM

I've been using Hoppes on my Glock 19. Couple guys at the range were talking about Ballistol and swore by it. However no one locally carries it so I haven't been able to try it. Anyone here have any experience with Ballistol?

I use Ballistol. It always scrubs everything off my firearms and lubricates like it's no one's business.

Get the non-aerosol cans and just buy a small spray bottle from Target or some place like that. It's cheaper and lasts longer. I buy mine off of MidwayUSA.
http://www.midwayusa...quid?cm_vc=U112

Edited by mangeface, 27 April 2013 - 04:08 AM.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#14 EDC_Crazy

EDC_Crazy

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

I use Ballistol. It always scrubs everything off my firearms and lubricates like it's no one's business.

Get the non-aerosol cans and just buy a small spray bottle from Target or some place like that. It's cheaper and lasts longer. I buy mine off of MidwayUSA.
http://www.midwayusa...quid?cm_vc=U112

I'll definitely give it a try, thank you for the link. I'll order some today. Thanks!

#15 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

Day 2 of my Haley Strategic Adaptive Carbine class and while breaking down and cleaning up after the class I have to say that without any doubt, Froglube is the best stuff I've ever used. (I've used MPro and Hoppes)
We ran about 500-700 (no time to count trips to the reload station, sorry) rounds today hard and fast and my weapon ran flawlessly and by the end of the class still had plenty of lube on the BCG with little to no build up.
At this time I can say I'll never run anything other than FrogLube.
  • Bagrambill likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#16 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

I really want to switch to FrogLube, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. and Stevenson, I hope after the class you will start a threat and post some sweet ass pics and an AAR of the class.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#17 langston302

langston302

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

froglube here. Still carry a bit of 5w20 mobil one with me though just in case
Posted Image Posted Image

#18 river

river

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 21 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

I have been using Froglube for about 10 months. No hiccups and am hear to say...it cleaned up two pistols really nice after they ran about 500 rounds through them this weekend in the rain. I went back and checked them a day later...no issues.
I am completely satisfied.

#19 Blackhawk6d

Blackhawk6d

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWet side of Washington

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hoppes and a Bore Snake.. LOVE the Bore Snake! Hunting here in Western Washington we have just a little rain (Not sure if you have heard), a quick wipe down followed by remington wipes if needed is also a pretty good and quick way to protect my rifle

#20 SacRyan

SacRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 136 posts
  • LocationUT

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

So I'm in the Frog Lube Fan Club.

EVERYTHING (From ARs to bolt guns and 1911s to combat Tupperware) gets frog lubed at my place.

As to cold weather, I've got a Savage Weather Warrior in 308 that was last out in 3 degrees Fahrenheit for an Elk hunt in Utah. Performed flawlessly.

As to heat, I'm a firearms instructor in the Vegas area - Mid summer 114 Fahrenheit plus on the ranges and it does fine. Only complaint in that level of heat is that it starts to seep out of the gun if you've gone a little heavy with it. (Not good for a concealed piece but my open instructor gun is fine.)

Qd3OG01.png

Do the right thing, even when no one is looking.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Guns, cleaning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users