16 replies to this topic

#1 EDC_Crazy

EDC_Crazy

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

Hey everyone, I've already introduced myself in the pinned thread at the top. However I'll introduce myself again. My name is Bryce and I'm currently in college studying Law Enforcement. I'm really big into EDC Gear, Firearms, Cars, etc.

I was wondering what the general opinion was on Civilians here? I've lurked for quite some time and I find the knowledge here extremely useful.

I purchased a patch from the ITS Store for my personal collection. However being a Civilian I don't wear, or show off these patches. There are a couple exceptions such as my EDC Forums patch and my Gadsden Flag patch. The EDC forums is more of a general patch than military, and I feel the Gadsden is appropriate right now.

Is there a general opinion on Civilians wearing ITS Tactical patches? I don't want to be one of those Civilian douche bags that goes and insults our military.

Any and all comments welcome, glad to hear what you have to say.

#2 TBlood

TBlood

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTeh Internets

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

Personally, I don't mind. If you're a part of this community, wear the patch. ITS is something that I respect, and in turn, wearing the patch and REPRESENTING ITS well, will gain my respect civilian or not. Go for it!
"The unexamind life is not worth living."

#3 Klarktx

Klarktx

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 226 posts
  • LocationFlowery Branch, Ga

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

I actually don't see patches as anything proprietary to any one sector. Unless I'm missing something.

More and more range gear, outerwear, backpacks, etc are creating an avenue to show off your identity or maybe preferences by way of patches.

Now having said that, there may be a limit one should wear or have on gear. I've seen one single jacket with something nearing 20 patches and that could be construed as douchebaggery, but to have a tastefully placed US Flag, ITS, Glock, etc seems to be most acceptable. I pass people in the airport often, notice a patch I may have brandished and give the "Cool Dude Nod".

Lastly, I learned LONG ago, worrying about what others may feel about my attempt at any fashion is a wasted concern.

• TBlood likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#4 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

I personally don't see anything wrong with it. I am not military but I display an American Flag daily on my EDC pack as I am a proud American and want to show it. As far as the ITS patch goes, it has no conflict with the military or anything else, especially if you pony up and become an actual member by paying for your crew leader status. ITS is an organization, and if you join this organization than there is nothing wrong at all with showing that membership by way of wearing a patch.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#5 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

Hey Bryce,

I'll start by saying that I'm 100% civilian and that I completely understand where you're coming from with not wanting to step on any toes.

We definitely don't have any problems with anybody wearing an ITS patch. We make our patches for people to wear to show their support of the site and any other reasons they have. I don't have the exact numbers, but I would say that the majority of people that purchase our patches are civilians. We put out content for Military, Law Enforcement and Civilians so there are no issues at all.

The only issue I would have with someone wearing a patch would be wearing a unit patch or team patch for a unit or team they weren't on. Other than that, I see patches as fair game for anyone.
  • Klarktx and euribe985 like this
Posted Image

#6 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'm with Rob on this.
Here is a odd way to relate it to my personal experience.

In 1990 there was a combat action in Panama. I technically have the ribbon indicating that I was part of this operation. In truth, I happened to be stationed at the airbase associated with this very small action. Did I risk my life in that operation as those soldiers that put their boots in the mud? Absolutely not. What did I do while they were doing their job? I sat in a classroom.

Do I deserve to wear that ribbon? No, I don't think I do, but if I were to get dressed in my blues and pin everything on, then yes I would because it is part of my uniform.

How does this relate to your question you ask? Did you earn that patch or are you acting as though you deserve it?
ITS, though a great community, has no requirements to say you are part of that community. Wear the patch proudly, its a great looking logo and patch and people with similar interest will see that patch and immediately know where you got it.

You don't have to earn the patch so you can't possibly be stepping on peoples toes to wear it.
  • TBlood and Davis like this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#7 Klarktx

Klarktx

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 226 posts
  • LocationFlowery Branch, Ga

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

All great and relative replies. Proud to be here.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#8 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Well, your a part of ITS, Represent and wear it proud! I definitely agree with Rob on units, though.

As for civilians, patches have been around for years. I think i can remember dudes wearing patches and buttons over 15 years ago on backpacks and gear in highschool. I think they were skate boarders and music geeks.

#9 EDC_Crazy

EDC_Crazy

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

Wow! If this is any indication of what the community here is like, I will definitely enjoy spending time here. I really appreciate the positive responses from all of you. DStevenson thank you for sharing your experience, I really appreciate it. It has definitely made me worry less about wearing a patch.

#10 renomax

renomax

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 53 posts
  • Locationcentral oklahoma

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

I am just a regular guy and I have a ITS patch along with an ESEE patch that is on my fishin bag. I never felt the need to display them on any clothing although I wouldn't see anything wrong with it if that is how someone wanted to show pride in supporting a company. I don't think it is appropriate to display any patches or badges that are Military or Law Enforcement if someone did not earn the right to do so. I am a big ESEE knife supporter and I have learned a lot from ITS. Lock picking is next, could have used that skill yesterday. I try to be respectful of all that serve to protect our freedoms and if I am ever out of line on this forum I should be corrected as to not offend anyone in the future.
Thank everyone for your service.

#11 Jon1911

Jon1911

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

I'm currently a civlian, hopefully not for long. I figure as long as you're not wearing a patch affiliated with a .mil/LE unit and trying to take credit for something you have no claim to, there should be no issue. I wear tons of patches on jackets and backpacks, I've a had a few .mil guys I know give me some too.

#12 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:24 AM

I really think everyone here is smart enough but I'll say it just in case. Do not click on that link in the previous post by pandawillgood.

Edited by DStevenson, 11 July 2013 - 05:24 AM.

• Davis likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#13 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

The only issue I would have with someone wearing a patch would be wearing a unit patch or team patch for a unit or team they weren't on. Other than that, I see patches as fair game for anyone.

Wearing a unit patch is being supportive, IMHO.. however, your statement is 100% true, if the person wearing the patch is telling everyone that was HIS unit... That's just poor taste and straight douchebaggery.
Posted Image

#14 eatmycamo

eatmycamo

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

Just don't Walt

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Walt

Seriously though, enjoy it.
Posted Image

#15 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Only uber secret squirrell operators should be wearing patches...Oh wait...

I have a large selection of morale patches. I tend to toss them on gear like bags or rifle cases where there may be two or three that look the same when I go out with friends. I also wear a few on my flight helmet but running around every day I dont tend to have any on me unless I am carrying a bag my jacket with loop stays slicked out.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#16 Chorazin

Chorazin

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

I usually try and stick with funny ones, or fantasy/sci-fi/zombie ones. I definitely don't want to look like I'm pretending to be some sort of bad-ass while I'm just a desk jocky! Even my GORUCK backwards flag patches sometimes feel like I'm stepping on toes...
Posted Image

#17 KY-Windage

KY-Windage

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

Wearing a unit patch is being supportive, IMHO.. however, your statement is 100% true, if the person wearing the patch is telling everyone that was HIS unit... That's just poor taste and straight douchebaggery.

True. That's like saying your in a Seal Team but not a Seal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users