Photo

GORUCK Challenge, Fort Lauderdale, FL. NOV 16th.

goruck goruckchallenge fort lauderdale

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 swimr235

swimr235

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 14 posts
  • LocationI dunno...south...the deepest of souths.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

Signed up, got the hat, shirt and my trusty Kelty MAP. Whos comin'?

- nick :headbang:
  • m.nadz likes this
“Audentes fortuna iuvat”
- Virgil

#2 m.nadz

m.nadz

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Very nice! First one? I'm doing my second in NYC on 9/7.

#3 swimr235

swimr235

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

Very nice! First one? I'm doing my second in NYC on 9/7.

Yep. First one. Been flirting with it for about a year and I just said "F it". Trying to get some local buddies to get on board as well. What am I in for?
“Audentes fortuna iuvat”
- Virgil

#4 Jon1911

Jon1911

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

Yep. First one. Been flirting with it for about a year and I just said "F it". Trying to get some local buddies to get on board as well. What am I in for?

Good Livin' :up:

I've only talked 2 people into doing them. I've done 2, looking at Selection this August...maybe. Honestly, there are parts that are easy and parts that are hard. I try not to give away too many details, because I like the newbies to have somewhat of a fear of the unknown going it, that's really half the fun. You get there and have no clue what you will be put through, but you have to ready yourself, that no matter what, you will not quit, not let your team down, and earn that patch. Granted, every challenge will be different, length and evolution wise. My first was 13 hours, my last 9 hours. Both had their challenges and points where you get beat down, but that's when you find your teammates yelling for you to keep moving. Then the pain melts away, you dig deep, and power through....and later you end up doing the same for them.

Some tips, workout with your weighted ruck. Pushups, 100 meter sprints, flutterkicks with ruck on chest, bearcrawls and crabwalks. Read the AAR's on the GORUCK site. That's all you get :P Remember lots of water, I take a 3L bladder and 3 bottles of water, though you will stop for a refill if possible. Look at the protein clif bars. They are really good, especially the chocolate ones. They use honey as a binder, so they are not so dry. Check out Leukotape. There's an article on the ITS page, it works great. Wool socks, nice cushion and dry relatively quickly, also remember an extra pair.
  • swimr235 likes this

#5 swimr235

swimr235

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

Good Livin' :up:

I've only talked 2 people into doing them. I've done 2, looking at Selection this August...maybe. Honestly, there are parts that are easy and parts that are hard. I try not to give away too many details, because I like the newbies to have somewhat of a fear of the unknown going it, that's really half the fun. You get there and have no clue what you will be put through, but you have to ready yourself, that no matter what, you will not quit, not let your team down, and earn that patch. Granted, every challenge will be different, length and evolution wise. My first was 13 hours, my last 9 hours. Both had their challenges and points where you get beat down, but that's when you find your teammates yelling for you to keep moving. Then the pain melts away, you dig deep, and power through....and later you end up doing the same for them.

Some tips, workout with your weighted ruck. Pushups, 100 meter sprints, flutterkicks with ruck on chest, bearcrawls and crabwalks. Read the AAR's on the GORUCK site. That's all you get :P Remember lots of water, I take a 3L bladder and 3 bottles of water, though you will stop for a refill if possible. Look at the protein clif bars. They are really good, especially the chocolate ones. They use honey as a binder, so they are not so dry. Check out Leukotape. There's an article on the ITS page, it works great. Wool socks, nice cushion and dry relatively quickly, also remember an extra pair.

Thank you so much for the tips. Ill be using them for sure. Im curious...should I invest on the GR1 or is my Kelty MAP going to be fine for the challenge?
“Audentes fortuna iuvat”
- Virgil

#6 Jon1911

Jon1911

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

Thank you so much for the tips. Ill be using them for sure. Im curious...should I invest on the GR1 or is my Kelty MAP going to be fine for the challenge?

That depends. If you like the GR1 and know you want one, I would buy it now, since you get a discount. If you're solely wondering about quality, you should be ok. Granted I don't know much about the Kelty brand, but I used a BDS Tactical bag for my first challenge and a Eberlestock X4 for my last one. I like the GORUCK packs, just each time I've done a challenge I can't justify the money....says the guy with a $400 Eberlestock Terminator pack for his BOB that gets used more for vacation trips :lol: . As long as the stitching is good, you should be fine. People use all sorts of packs and have no issues. The ONLY thing I don't like about the GORUCK packs is the lack of a waist belt. If they had that as an option, I would own one already.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: goruck, goruckchallenge, fort lauderdale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users