31 replies to this topic

#1 Outdoorsman98

Outdoorsman98

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hey Guys,

As a teenager, what do you think would be some good edc items for me that I could carry to school? Obviously, I can't carry knives or anything like that to school. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Chorazin

Chorazin

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

Most EDC items an adult here would carry are going to be verboten in a school setting! Just carry your books, pens, paper, and your wits. :-D
  • SwatDawg335 and mangeface like this
Posted Image

#3 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

Can't say much more than that. Keep your mind focused in school. God knows there's enough idiots running around on this planet.

Edited by mangeface, 17 August 2013 - 04:52 PM.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#4 Outdoorsman98

Outdoorsman98

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

Thanks guys.

#5 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

There's a thread in the improvised weapons sub forum that talks about using a pen as a weapon. If a situation arises where you life is in danger, that's a good place to start.

But overall, keep yourself out of trouble and in school. :D
  • SwatDawg335 likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#6 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:10 AM

I think the biggest misconception about the theory of EDC is the notion that EDC items are by nature items that are put to use in an emergancy. That's simply not the case. Everyday Carry items are quite simply tools and materials that an individual uses frequently for any variety of daily chores and tasks. Often people choose specific EDC items that can serve multiple purposes and, with training can be dynamic in their use. But in general, we're talking about nothing more than a few items that can be easily carried on your person that you'll rely on to help get you through the day.

Best EDC for school? Pen, notebook, calculator, textbooks, and milk money. Seriously.

If you've got specific questions about crisis preparedness for a school student, that's another topic all together. But stricktly talking about everyday carry items, you'd be hard pressed to come up with a necessity other than those listed above.
  • FreeStyle1138 likes this

NoTMZyB.png

#7 Outdoorsman98

Outdoorsman98

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for the suggestions I definelty agree with you guys.

#8 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

I've had a sort of prepper/survival mindset since I was a wee lad (thanks to my dad) and spent most of my youth playing with the swiss army knife he gave me when I was 6 and it all went down hill from there.

I prefered reading his surplus gear catalogs to the latest issue of Sports Illustrated (until it was Swimsuit Edition time), which got me going in the right direction.

While it's next to impossible to EDC items to school besides your books, writing tools, keys, wallet, phone, and possibly one of those 550 cord bracelets (always a good idea), what you CAN do is get other things ready (what I did)

For example, when I was 13-14, I put together VERY basic BOB (more of an overnight/run away from home bag). It consisted of an old school backpack from a previous year, which had a little first aid kit (mom's a nurse, this was prior to me getting my EMT), $20 in cash, and a spare change of clothes. I figured it was better than nothing if I had to grab it and bounce for some reason.

If you're of driving age, and allowed to have a car, your options increase. Obviously you still can't have weapons or anything that can be construed as a weapon on school property, but you still have options. My first car was a beat up '96 Lexus ES300 with 110,000 miles on it when I got it. I didn't care because I was 17 and had wheels! Also a large backseat but that's another story. The trunk had a sleeping bag leftover from my boy scout days, the old BOB from when I was 13 (contents updated/changed obviously), blankets from the volunteer EMS squad I was with at the time, and a more comprehensive medical kit to go with the additonal training I had. I also threw in basic auto emergency stuff like triangles, lug wrench, reflective vests, etc. And a case of WATER (very important) The bottom line is at your age, your vehicle (if you have one), is where you can be the most prepared outside of the home. There's more than enough articles out there for auto emergency kits and vehicle EDC for you to figure out what works best for you. Just be aware of any laws that affect items you can carry, especially you still being a teenager. Once you turn 18 (if you aren't already), your options again increase, but just be aware. You defnitely don't want to get jammed up by local LE.

After HS I joined the Marines and my gear acquisition began in earnest. If the bug bites you (and it seems like it has) you'll find that you start spending most of your time/money on preps, new gear, etc, and will sooner or later figure out what works/what doesn't. You'll also wind up with a pile of gear that sits collecting dust because you have so much. Even now, after the Corps, back in EMS full time, I find that I have so much stuff that I've decided to make multiple kits to stage in different places, just so I can make some space at home. I literally have an entire room on my 1st floor full of gear from the Marines that I kept and acquired over the years that's slowly but surely getting put to use. People say those guys on doomsday preppers are crazy, but I'm jealous of them.

If there's one thing I can't stress enough, is to get medical training. As a teenager, no matter what avenues in life you intend to pursue (mine was always MIL/LE since I was little), medical training ALWAYS comes in handy. ALWAYS. I have an unique background as a shooter (0311) with more medical training than the average Marine grunt (due to having an EMT cert PLUS the TCCC/CLS/LTT training), so with that in mind I place more emphasis on medical training/preps than lethal aid.

I currently work EMS full time now that I'm back in the civvy world, while waiting to get hired by my local LE agency. As someone with 2 combat tours to Afghan, I can tell you that you'll use first aid training more than any lethal aid training. This was true even in Afghanistan. It's unfortunate, but guys go through more tourniquets than they do magazines, if you catch my drift. So if you can, get on with a volunteer EMS and maybe even a volunteer fire dept. Both avenues open up vast opportunities for skill development, professional development, and NETWORKING! Any adult will tell you, networking is key in life. It's not what you know, it's who you know. That's how to get ahead. This is besides the obvious benefits of having the above training.

I realized that this went way beyond what you were asking, but I was in your shoes once. Just letting you know what I did and how it worked for me.

Like all things, seek training. Whether it's fieldcraft/survival type stuff, or Fire/EMS, combatives, whatever. Get hands-on training. Reading and watching the ITS articles/videos is great, but NOTHING beats hands on time.
  • spenceman, AaronK and Outdoorsman98 like this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#9 Outdoorsman98

Outdoorsman98

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

Thanks a lot for all the things that you said I will definelty consider getting medical training. Also I have already created a BOB that I think is pretty well equipped. Thanks again.

#10 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

What're you waiting for then? Post pictures and a list of the contents! Maybe you have something I don't. It's always good to share what you've got.

TBL-2.png

#11 Outdoorsman98

Outdoorsman98

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Ok cool I will

#12 Outdoorsman98

Outdoorsman98

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

Here's my bug out bag

Contents:
Condor 3 day assault pack
Biolite stove
Homemade MRES (3)
SOL Emergency Bivvy
Playing Cards
Glow in the dark Nalgene with duct tape wrapped around it
Platypus Water bag
Signal Mirror
Toiletries and Pocket Medic/various medical supplies
Sunscreen/Bug Spray
Granola bars
Leatherman Wave
Fire Starting kit with firesteel,tinder,lighters, and matches
Pyropacs (2)
Pen/Pencil/paper
Binoculars
Rope
3 day supply of emergency drinking water
Utensil Knife
GSI Outdoors Cookset
Headlamp with extra batteries
Glowstick
Survival Wrap
Fishing Kit
Water Purification Tabs
Tin foil
Silver Half Dollars
Socks
Tin with pins, wire, zip ties, whistle etc.
Playing Cards
Large Trashbag made into Poncho
Rain Poncho

If you have any suggestions please tell me, thanks

Attached Files

#13 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

I HIGHLY suggest babywipes. Maybe not the large size packs, but a few travel size ones. They hardly take up space and are infinitely useful. My asshole was the cleanest part of my body in Afghanistan thanks to daily usage of baby wipes.

Also I see you have socks packed, which is good. But it's always a good idea to have an extra set or two of undergarments. IE an extra pair of socks, a t shirt, and whatever skivvies you wear (boxers, briefs, whatever). These can be packed into what's called a grunt roll and I'd throw in at least two in there. Here's a link describing what I mean. It's how I pack all my extra skivvies in my bags now.

http://www.kifarufor...ead.php?t=24620

Go to a Harbor Freight store (if you have any by you) and get a tarp, preferably at least 6x6, 6x8, etc. You can use it to make a shelter half (look it up) if necessary. Get a ground mat or ISO mat as well and cinch it to the side of your pack. As someone whose slept on wet ground, it is not a pleasant feeling getting all your body heat sucked out from under you. Also get bungee cords in various lengths to secure your tarp. They're faster than tying 550 cord to stuff, and it frees up your limited 550 cord supply for other uses. And get at least 1 100 ft section of 550 cord, 2 if you can afford it.

Get an additional handheld light and headlamp. The old saying, 2 is 1 and 1 is none definitely applies. Having a light source is something that you take for granted until you don't have it when you need it. Same goes with lighters. The Bic brand ones are damn near indestructible. I've mistakenly run mine through the wash because I didn't empty my pockets more than a few times, and they've NEVER failed me. Throw a pack of them in there.

For pen/paper, I only use Rite in the Rain products.Get one of their thick field books. Get a pack of space pens and throw them in there, along with a box of unsharpened pencils. You can use your knife to sharpen them when necessary. And another thing, have a good quality folder and a good quality fixed blade in your pack as well. I would also add another tool like a Gerber E-Tool and a SOG Tomahawk for those times when the fixed blade just isn't going to cut it.

All of this adds weight. I highly recommend you start saving money for a quality pack because this is NOT the bag you want to fail on you when SHTF. They can get expensive, but how much is your life worth?
  • LongHaul likes this

TBL-2.png

#14 Outdoorsman98

Outdoorsman98

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestions it mean a .lot

#15 Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

Do you carry a small flashlight? I don't know what schools permit these days, but a small AA LED light I would think to be OK, as opposed to something more tactical with a strike bezel. I find I reach for my flashlight more than either of the two knives I carry these days.

#16 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

(To start, awesome to see you get ready like this)

Something to consider, and advice I give others. If you have a cell phone, go buy some extra cell phone chargers (a home style and car style) and put in the bag. That way no matter where you are or where you go, you will be able to find at least one power source and charge up for communications or your apps.

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#17 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

Stumbled across this. Good read
http://survivalcache...enage-survival/

#18 DeLoneTrooper

DeLoneTrooper

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

Great Stuff! I too have the issue of being a teenager and trying to be prepared. I got a lot of good stuff off this thread. Did happen to come up with a few questions regarding what could be carried everyday in a school setting. We are allowed to carry a backpack (I carry a 5.11 Rush 12) at all times. Medical type stuff in a huge interest to me, specifically trauma/first aid. I tried to put together my own IFAK but had issues with is being bulky and cumbersome to have (Condor Rip-Away EMT pouch). For minor bleeds its been useful considering nobody wants to go to the nurse office to get a band aid and have to literally fill out 2 pages of paperwork along with missing class time. I'm thinking about the tallboy being an option on the side, and add a bottle carrier on the other side to even things out. What do you guys think about basic medi supplies considering all the crap that has gone down lately? (Im also taking Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid classes)

Thanks

#19 SIBE*96

SIBE*96

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

im a senior in High School and my EDC consists of the 5.11 72 Rush bag in Coyote Brown, the 5.11 taclite boots, (my school hand book clearly states that any sharp or pointed object (blade) has to be under 2.5 in. long and either folded or put in a safety device (sheath) ). i carry the 5.11 sidekick boot knife. 72 Rush bag has my essential school junk but EDC wise i carry electrical tape, zip ties, band-aids, ozark trails 500 lumen LED flashlight w/extra batts., camcord camera, BSA optics binoculars,headphones, x2 power bars, camelback bladder, and a Marine Corps. OD green pullover hoodie. my pockets hold my wallet (left rear), pocket memo notebook (right rear), iPhone 4 with Lifeproof case and a stream mate gel pen (forward right), Bic mini lighter w/electrical tape wrapped top to bottom, 4sevens quark pro 780 lummen flashlight (forward left). my clothing: rustler jeans and a black T-shirt or Khaki 5.11 Strike Pants. black wool knit beanie or OD green Boonie Hat. Oakley Fuel Cells blacked out. G-Shock Matte Black Watch (dont know exact model) (left wrist), Black Paracord Braclet (right wrist), 5.11 riggers/assaulters khaki cobra buckle belt. S-Biner with Fathers dog tag, my truck key, and a house key. thats pretty much it. give me a shout let me know what to add or takeout. any questions needed, im here.
  • SacRyan and Davis like this

#20 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

Where do you live that your school permits knives? That's awesome!
  • SacRyan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users