• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

Figured I would ask the obvious questions, anyone in the North Alabama or Southern TN area?

89BccLb.png

#2 CNix880

CNix880

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

North Huntsville area checkin in.
Posted Image

#3 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

I live in Huntsville as well... I read your other post and I also am looking into a LEO career. Just a heads up Huntsville Police only pulls applicants once a year in June usually, you can sign up on their website to be notified when they open the pull again.

89BccLb.png

#4 CNix880

CNix880

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:36 PM

Missed the Huntsville hiring phase this year but did get a change to go through County and Madison, but no luck this time around.

You know of any good outdoor ranges in the area? Haven't lived in the Huntsville area long so still looking for a good place to shoot.
Posted Image

#5 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

Swan Creek is probably your best bet, it's not always open because it's also a hunting area in certain months, but otherwise it's only the cost of a hunting license to use all year. It's normally pretty nice, but it's unsupervised. I love it and I'm there as often as I can make it. (Info: http://outdooralabam...ncreekrange.cfm)

If you need ammo or weapons, Last Resort Guns is a good place, they treat folks right and prices have stayed pretty reasonable during this ammo panic. They'll have an indoor range but it's not open yet. I've purchased a couple guns with them and sent friends and family there, everyone's pleased. (Info: http://www.lastresortguns.com)

The other guys in town are Larry's pistol and pawn, occasionally you get good service, but mostly you are just cattle. Avoid them unless they are the only ones that have what you need. They treat you fairly well if you come in to buy, but they don't like browsing to find the right gun. Also hard to park at and lots of crowding... I've purchased a couple guns here but always wish I hadn't. On another note, they can get things others can't due to their connects, so I do keep them as an option. (Info: http://www.pistolandpawn.com)

Let me know if you need any more info on the local scene, I know a lot about the area and I'll try to help where I can.

(Edited to add links)

Edited by DeathwatchDoc, 12 October 2013 - 12:06 PM.

89BccLb.png

#6 CNix880

CNix880

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into Swan Creek and maybe make a visit if they haven't closed for the season yet.

I've been to Last Resort Guns a few times to get ammo, definitely a good place and great people to boot. Larry's is horrible, I've been in there a couple times and no one has said a word to me. Wouldn't have bought anything but they were the only place around that had mags for my 229.

If you're ever having a hard time finding ammo let me know and I'll check Bass Pro when I'm in Montgomery, usually once a month for a weekend. They've been keeping a good stock of ammo lately so that's were I usually get mine.
Posted Image

#7 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

I feel your pain... I just had to go to Larry's for a 17 round mag for my M&P, thankfully I have plenty for my 226.

89BccLb.png

#8 Romeo

Romeo

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:34 PM

I'm in the area.

#9 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

We may have to get a range day going for the three of us at some point.

89BccLb.png

#10 kf4lhp

kf4lhp

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Tennessee

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

I'm just up the road in Chattanooga...

“A wrong decision is better than indecision.”

Posted Image

#11 voodoo_monkey

voodoo_monkey

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

I'm a new member but also in the area, Madison to be specific. 

#12 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

Welcome aboard! We get any more of us and its time to start talking about a meet up.

Just an update for all the locals: Last Resort Guns just opened a pretty sweet indoor range. Heat and Cooling and all the niceties of modern life. 

89BccLb.png

#13 voodoo_monkey

voodoo_monkey

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

I agree, a meet up would be good. What are the prices like at Last Resort? I usually go to Swan Creek but with hunting season and all I need to find somewhere to go. Plus the last time I was at SC the Game Warden wanted to see my hunting license (which I dont have). Thankfully my friend did and that saved my tail. 

#14 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

Prices are fairly competitive but the service is amazing. 

89BccLb.png

#15 Quietmike

Quietmike

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

Hi guys.

Shelbyville Tn here.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#16 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

Welcome! Glad you dropped by, our numbers are growing.

89BccLb.png

#17 voodoo_monkey

voodoo_monkey

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

So a little bit about me, I work at the Downtown Rescue Mission here in Huntsville as the Head of Security. We are a non-profit homeless shelter/rehab center. Long story short we are looking for volunteers with military/police background to work our vehicle checkpoint for a few hours a day. Would any one be interested?

#18 RAIDERxSOFREP

RAIDERxSOFREP

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:48 PM

Birmingham Checking In!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users