4 replies to this topic

#1 navyjosh13

navyjosh13

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:47 AM

Was curious about if there was any talk about making pdf files of some articles to have the ability to save them. I have tried extentions for my browser (chrome) to try and they just wont work on the site. Any tips?

#2 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

I downloaded a program called PDF creator, and it basically acts as a virtual printer that makes a PDF rather than a physical piece of paper. Its a lot better than the microsoft image writer thing that uses a proprietary format that you can't read ever again. Check it out: http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#3 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

I've evernoted several of the articles that really interested me for easier archiving and searching when I need to look something up. Evernote's clipper seems to work fairly well on this site. From evernote PDF or print is fairly simple.You may want to look into something like instapaper or one of the other such products that allow for mobilization of a webpage.
  • mikejulietpapa likes this

89BccLb.png

#4 CENTCOMSurvivor

CENTCOMSurvivor

Down Wit' Da Hui

• 948 posts
  • LocationTampa/St Petersburg Florida

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

I'm not sure what Bryan uses for the articles that are emailed out. Let me ask about this.
Posted Image

#5 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

I don't know of an exact way to make a PDF but I often will save articles for offline reading later.

Two services come to mind that have both web, desktop, and mobile apps are Pocket and Instapaper. I used to use Instapaper the most but now prefer Pocket. They have nice little bookmarklets you can install but there's loads of ways to add articles to your "reading later" list with both.

There is also another way like DeathwatchDoc said by using Evernote. Just use the "web clipper" to save the article, then go into Evernote and "print" that selected note as a PDF. It's a bit more involved and I'm glossing over specifics but that's the basic idea.

Does any of that help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users