25 replies to this topic

#1 ALPHA MIKE

ALPHA MIKE

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

I've signed up for a GoRuck and have that 20% discount. Was looking at the GR0, but it's a bit pricey even with the discount for a 21 liter bag. I guess it's based off these things being bombproof and water resistant. If they're truly that badass and will hold up to abuse, then I'm willing to pay a little more.

Had some other bags in mind. This is not only for EDC, but the GoRuck (light) itself. Other choices were the 5.11 Rush 12 or 24. I have the Moab 10 so thought it would be pretty sweet to match them up with that tier system. Also considering the Milspec Monkey Adapt Pack.

Thoughts on the GR0? Worth it? Or would the 5.11's hold up just a well?

Thanks,
AM

#2 CFB67

CFB67

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

I used a 5.11 Rush 24 during my challenge and through the GORUCK Nasty and it's held up fine. It holds 6 bricks well with room to spare. A GORUCK bag is a great investment. They really stand behind their products. There was a tailor set up at the Nasty repairing their gear on site.
Posted Image

#3 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

Not a fan of the Tier system. Makes your bags stick way too far out behind you. I found myself off balance and knocking into things every time I turned.
  • ALPHA MIKE likes this

#4 Flyer47

Flyer47

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

I love my GR1. I use it for pretty much everything. I would always suggest getting one--it is worth the investment. However, if you do get one, whatever you do, do not leave it in your car. Too many have been stolen.
  • battlecreek1 likes this

#5 ALPHA MIKE

ALPHA MIKE

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

Definitely leaning towards a GR. Thanks for the info guys.

#6 robbydude

robbydude

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

I have been torn between the GoRuck and the TAD Fastpack EDC. I am leaning towards the EDC...If they ever come back in stock.

#7 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Yeah, the TAD bags look incredible, but with how fast they sell out you'd almost have to be logged in on their website clicking refresh with credit card in hand to get one.

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#8 uncle_creepy

uncle_creepy

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg, Florida

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

So I think I can shed some insight here. I have the TAD Litespeed, EDC and also bought the GR1 when I signed up for my first event.

All are fantastic - lets just get that out of the way.

Specs - I am 6' 225 - I am not the leanest person but in pretty good shape. I have wide shoulders.

The GR1 is a great pack size and the internal Molle and pouch make it really easy and comfortable to store and lash your bricks inside for a GRC. The GR1 is also a 20" pack letting the bottom of the pack sit off your hip line. The GR1 does not have a waist strap and I don't think that is such a big problem. In the GRC the pack will be the easiest thing to carry.

What I find challenging about the GR1 is the shoulder straps. they seem short to me and put a lot of pressure under my armpits. The buckles sit at the nipple line on me. Most of the people I saw having a really good fit on the GR1 were smaller guys or really thin in the upper body.

The GR1 also does not have a drain on the bottom or ANYWHERE and this pretty much sucks balls. You have to bend over to let the water drain out of it or endure the good livin. I am going to have a grommet put in mine at a local canvas shop.

Now onto the TAD - The TAD are both 22" packs that sit closer to the waist line. I much prefer the design and length of the shoulder straps on the TAD packs. Both have a waist strap/hip belt but I remove mine for the events. The TAD does not have internal molle to lash your bricks. It has external cinch straps to hold everything in place. The TAD packs have a lot of straps on the outside. Too many IMO. you can customize and remove as fits your needs. The TAD. Like the GR1, is a highly water resistant material and thus repels water but also holds water. The TAD packs do have two drains in the bottom. The TAD packs also come with a sternum strap that does come in handy in the GRC.

All in all I feel lucky to have the ability to test and use these three packs side by side. IMO the TAD litespeed is the best fit if you are a little more "big Boned"

The sizes you can spec out on the websites but the rundown is this
Smallest is the TAD litespeed, longer but narrower than the GR1
Next is the GR1
LArgest is the TAD EDC - Wider/deeper by a touch and longer than the GR1

Now for EDC it all depends on what your main needs are. The GR1 is much more sleek in appearance if you want a less conspicuous pack. If you like the /Molle and strap/Velcro look the TAD is the ticket. The internal organization is very similar in all the packs. The external admin style on the TAD is better for EDC items like pens, Stylus, Etc. that you may carry back and forth to the office. The GR1 external pouch is just a big dump compartment.

Edited by uncle_creepy, 24 October 2013 - 06:53 AM.

#9 ALPHA MIKE

ALPHA MIKE

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

Definitely want a less conspicuous pack. My current pack is screaming "Army".

#10 Chorazin

Chorazin

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

I can't speak for any other brands, but I absolutely love my GR1 (my every day, travel, and day hike bag), and my Bullet (training ruck). I wouldn't give them up for any other bag in the world!
Posted Image

#11 cdrum02

cdrum02

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

I've used a 5.11 Rush 10, Moab 10, various Kelty, North Face, and Jansport bags, nothing has stood up to my work load. This load is both as an EDC bag and my weekend adventure/trip bag. GR bags are by far worth every single penny in my opinion. I've got a SK16 as my EDC bag and it works great. The lack of Molle on the exterior is a def plus in my eyes for an EDC bag so it doesn't give any hints as to what I have inside.

I've got a a couple GR1s. The one I used in my challenge withstood the most abuse I've ever put a bag through. My group used about a dozen rucks in an "new idea fairly" moment to try and carry out pole around. Needless to say, my ruck shined with flying colors while the idea crashed and burned. A couple people had Rush Packs in my challenge, one of them ripped and the other got so water logged it became brutal for the person carrying it.

I use a Radio Ruck as a training sandbag and it's been a tank for over a year. Drops, drags, tosses, not even a scratch. All of the stitching is still intact with very minimal signs of wear for the amount of abuse this bag has been.

End of the day, I'd have no problem trusting any GR bag to endure well beyond anything you can throw at it. 100% worth the investment.
  • CFB67 and ALPHA MIKE like this

#12 ALPHA MIKE

ALPHA MIKE

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

SOLD! GORUCK it is!

#13 robbydude

robbydude

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

Yeah, the TAD bags look incredible, but with how fast they sell out you'd almost have to be logged in on their website clicking refresh with credit card in hand to get one.

luckily I have friday's off work so I can do just that haha. But the stress would drive me insane. Due to the lack of still not being in stock I have started to lean more towards a Mystery Ranch 3 day assault pack.

#14 uncle_creepy

uncle_creepy

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg, Florida

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

if you want a litespeed they are instock right now.

http://store.triplea...-Pack-Litespeed

#15 robbydude

robbydude

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

if you want a litespeed they are instock right now.

http://store.triplea...-Pack-Litespeed

yeah i talked to TAD support and they said the EDC should be in this friday or next. If i was to get one I would want the EDC. But i am strongly leaning towards a mystery ranch 3dap.

#16 springfieldshooter

springfieldshooter

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

My gr1 has been through a light, 2 challenges, and a scavenger as well as all sorts of travel and edc. The gr2 is my big ass travel bag and rocks.

CrewLeaderSignature.png
GORUCK: Light 004 3/23/2013 SF, CA Scavenger 032 6/8/13 San Diego, CA Challenge 742 8/24/13 San Luis Obispo, CA Challenge 840 11/2/13 Sacramento, CA Light 150 12/7/13 SF, CA

#17 yeti

yeti

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

I am 6ft 2in, 245, and I have a GR2 that I used in a challenge a couple weeks ago. It did great and is a great bag overall, for me the best part was being able to train with a lot of extra bricks and weight in the bag, but overall I think its too big for challenges, and will be getting another bag before my next challenge, I've been eyeing the TAD Lightspeed (I love their gear too). We'll see, good luck with your challenge either way!

#18 eagledesigncorp

eagledesigncorp

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 54 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

I just ordered up my first GR1 and will let you know what I think. it should be here in a couple days, in time for me to get ready for my 1st challenge in Newport. I to was looking at the litespeed packs but with all the reading on here about goruck quality I had to go with the GR1. I will let you know if it was the right choice.

Posted Image
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart......Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

#19 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

So I've been salivating over the Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault Pack, but then I saw the Arc'teryx Khard 30.... and then Tactical Distributors had the Khard on sale for 35% off ($100 off). So.... I pulled the trigger on it and it should be here monday or tuesday. :rolleyes:

• Psybain likes this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#20 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:33 PM

I love this discussion, I am actually in the middle of writing a review for my new EDC pack, which in my opinion is the pinnacle of everything i have ever wanted in an EDC pack. The Fight and Flight Tactical LLAMA Pack, or formerly known as the Skinny Sasquatch. I will link to the review when I am done with it for pictures and explanations of why I love it. With that said, like most of us I am sure, I am a gear whore. As soon as things come out I need to have it, play with it, and either love it or hate it. Much to my soon to be wife's chagrin our spare room is nothing but a computer desk and gear.

I used to be a dealer for 5.11 they make nice gear however under load and extreme duress I haven't had good luck with any of the RUSH series packs holding up. Sure they are great for the casual guy or the guy that simply wants to pack a series of emergency bags for his family members but for daily and consistent hard use they do not stand up to the punishment, it's truly the difference in professional grade and consumer grade. Past that the RUSH 72 was too big for EDC and the RUSH 24 was too small. So I searched on for a bag.

I went to the Hazard 4 Plan B. It was insanely well thought out and manufactured. I was very impressed with the bag itself in fact the only reservation I had was the fact it was a sling bag, however for day to day use it wasn't bad as you aren't really moving a load great distances with it. The first great trail run I went on changed that opinion. Had about 25 pounds of gear in it and over a 5 mile walk it became uncomfortable to wear. Not really EDC use but none the less if you had to depend on your EDC to become a permanent go bag it would be uncomfortable over time. As known, discomfort = foggy = failure = death.

I abandoned the idea of a sling bag and went to my stand by company for all things carry when it comes to distance stuff, Eberlestock. They make great stuff in the tactical line and as I used my Gunslinger II (or my halftrack depending on stint) nearly every time I went out in the woods I figured I'd see what they had in a small pack for EDC. I landed on the Gun Runner. Though it was a great pack, and I still use it for shot few hour jaunts in the woods, I didn't need a gun scabbard for daily use. So off I went in search of a new EDC.

I was ordering the new stealth hoodie on TAD's site, an ad on the front said the EDC was back in stock... I had one at one time in the store and a customer gave me a thousand dollars for it before I even got to unwrap it. I guess he needed it right now. So when the opportunity came back to get another one I bought it. It's a great pack, a bit expensive for what you are needing but it says TAD on it and that is their signature, expensive low runs of quality goods. Then I ran into the problem I always run into... my EDC pack became 35 pounds. The design of the pack works so well you can jam it full of gear that turns your EDC into a severe "what if" game of gear...

1. What if I need to treat a trauma?
2. What if I need to bypass a lock?
3. What if I need my laptop?
4. What if I need extra ammo?
5. What if it rains?
6. What if I need to rappel off a building?
7. What if I need to treat water?

This of course meant I packed everything and the kitchen sink into something that realistically would never be needed on a day to day basis. So all in all the pack itself was designed too well... and I moved on yet again.
So I came to Arc'Teryx site, was purchasing another minotaur jacket in wolf, their riggers belt kit and harness. I figured "Screw it, already spending a grand might as well another five hundred, soon to be wife surely won't care about that, right? So I end up with the Khard 45. It's a great pack, its design is very cool and intuitive, would have preferred 1000d cordura to 500 but eh, however it had the same issue... all of a sudden my EDC pack had:

1. A trauma kit
2. A field surgery kit
3. Maps, compass, GPS
4. GoalZero charger set
5. Rain Gear
6. Agilite ARC harness and belt
7. Petzl Exo
8. Petzl Tibloc
9. (5) Runners
10. (6) Locking Carbeaners
11. (2) Black Diamond Cam-alots
12. Surefire headlamp
13. Surefire Fury
14. Leatherman Supertool
15. (50ft) 550 Cord
16. Exotac Metal Match
17. Lighter
18. Rite in Rain notebook
19. Surefire Pen
20. Shemagh
21. (3) 20rnd Sig Mags
22. Lock picks
23. spare wallet and ID's
24. iPad Mini
25. Katadyn Pocket
26. Oakley Gloves
27. AR15 Repair Kit
28. (3) 30rnd Pmags

So you can see the issue, I went from a standard small "oh crap I may need something" EDC pack to a "HOLY HELL THE END IS NIGH GOOD THING I HAVE DAMN NEAR EVERYTHING AN OPERATOR NEEDS!". So again I moved on, and was very irritated that now I had no bag for daily use well at least not one that forced me to choose my gear wisely instead of "let's just take it all". Then on a net search at random I found the Skinny Sasquatch pack, and notice that it was made by Fight and Flight tactical for 72 Tactical. I had already been a customer of Fight and Flight Tactical to outfit my dog in her own tactical vest, so I called Dave and spoke with him a bit and he was in the middle of transitioning to make the pack on his own. So I bought one.

Let me tell you this pack is insanely well built and made in the states, It's got a unique compartment that is only 4 inches from your back to the front of the pack very skinny and when loaded extremely stable and low profile. It was large enough to take the essentials and small enough that I had to pick and choose what was going to go with me. My current EDC pack weighs 12 pounds and is a delight to carry. Climbing up through things and whatnot its skinny low profile ensures that it doesn't get snagged on anything and slow you down. Its removable waist belt i replaced with an HSGI battle belt and currently use it as a ditch harness with a petzl exo. I couldn't be happier with the pack itself I have a full review on it coming out soon and would strongly suggest it to anyone.

That is my two cents worth. I hope it helped a little.
Steve

Edited by SteveSOS, 12 February 2014 - 06:34 PM.

• Davis likes this
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users