16 replies to this topic

#1 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:28 AM

I'm starting to shop around for a quality 3 day bag. The primary function of the bag will be a Bugout type bag with change of clothes and basic needs for the family. It'll be kept in the back of the Family vehicle most of the time. But I need the bag to be designed for loadout on the motorcycle and the ability to allow me to leave the bike behind for one or two day hiking excursions by myself and occasionally with my wife.

The first bag that caught my attention was the Mystery Ranch 3DAP. I really like the trizip design for getting at all of the cargo. There seems to be a decent amount of internal storage options as well. I also really like the ability to store away the belt when not in use (this particular function would likely come in handy when the bag is being left in the family vehicle).
http://www.mysteryra...ay-assault-pack

I've also looked into the TAD Fast Pack EDC. Though I think I prefer the internal organization of the 3DAP better.

http://store.triplea...s/FAST-Pack-EDC

I've considered some of the standard options (i.e. 5.11 Rush series, Maxped, etc) but I'm really more interested in spending money on an American built bag that will last for ever. I'm not terribly interested in some ultralight bag with bright colors either. I'm mostly concerned with the bag being heavy-duty given the potential for motorcycle travel. It'll need to be able to take some abuse. I'm also hoping to keep the cost below $500. Any other bags in the same ballpark that I should take into consideration? I'm probably a month or two out from making a purchase, so now's the time to start looking at all the options.

NoTMZyB.png

#2 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

For USA made and top quality Tactical Tailor is a good option. I have not personally used any of their packs, though I have used some of their other items and they are for sure a solid quality product and 100% USA made up in Washington.

Here is a LINK to I think the biggest pack they make.

Another completely USA made brand to look at is Wilderness Tactical. I have not personally used any of their products, but one of my buddies is a huge fan of their products. They make all of their products at their facility here in Arizona. I went down to their showroom one time and their stuff does seem to be very good quality.

Here is a LINK to one of their packs.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#3 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

Yeah, I looked into Tactical Tailor. I like the design of the Ex Range Operator Pack, but I think it's a bit too big for what I'm looking for. I wish they had a smaller bag in the same configuration. Their Urban Operator and Modular Operator packs are about the right size for capacity. But I'm not a fan of that standard backpack design for a 3 day bag.

Another brand that I've looked into a bit is Eberlestock. The price is pretty nice for their HiSpeed x4 as well as the x3 variant with included scabbard for long gun. Not sure I'd use the attached scabbard, but it tucks away neatly when not in use.

http://www.eberlesto...Lodrag Pack.htm

So many damn options. I'd love to get hands-on with all these bags, but living in the middle of nowhere doesn't make that much of an option. It would certainly help make my decision easier though.

NoTMZyB.png

#4 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

Spec Ops makes some really good bags also. I personally use Maxpedition, but a buddy of mine from the Corps uses Spec Ops and they're some tough SOBs.

http://www.specopsbr...tical-bags.html

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#5 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

Jesus, I think I need to stop googling at some point.

Is anyone familiar with Kuiu?

I'm really digging this bag:

https://store.kuiu.c...gory_name=packs
  • Davis likes this

NoTMZyB.png

#6 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

Jesus, I think I need to stop googling at some point.

New gear is so awesome but holy crap, every time I read a post with a new brand that I have not previously heard of my wallet just cringes.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#7 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

Problem solved:

http://www.tacticald...rd-30-multicam.

I think the deal lasts through Thursday the 19th if I remember right.  I couldn't resist a Khard 30 for $255.  I would have preferred a gray bag, but Multicam was the only color option that was on sale.  Best part is, I told my wife that I bought it for her for Xmas.  She's doing a GORUCK with me this summer and we needed another bag that could take a beating.  She wasn't nearly as giddy as I was about the purchase.  And she's not at all under the illusion that this bag actually belongs to her.  But maybe it'll be enough to keep her from killing me if one of those Mystery Ranch 3DAP's happen to go on sale sometime down the road.

• iExpresso, Davis and Jersey0311 like this

NoTMZyB.png

#8 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

I hope this reaches you in time before your wallet took a tank, but you should feast your eyeballs on CamelBak TriZip. Nearly identical to the Mystery Ranch 3DAP and the bag posted above. The TriZip is also half the price of those as well!

Multicam is listed at $234.xx while the Coyote scheme comes at $266.xx

http://www.opticspla...0140110023323:s

• SwatDawg335 likes this

#9 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:29 AM

Thanks Beaucoup.  I was actually aware of the TriZip before I even knew of Mystery Ranch.  In fact, I'm pretty sure researching the TriZip is what actually lead me to discovering Mystery Ranch.  The bags are similar, but I prefer the made in USA 3DAP.  I'm also pretty partial to the pocket design of the MR bag, and the way the belt is able to be tucked away on the side.  I actually just purchased a 3DAP the other day, it hasn't arrived yet.  I thought I was going to be satisfied with the Arc'Teryx Khard 30 mentioned above, but I didn't like the bag at all.  I was able to sell it on ebay for profit and use the money to order the 3DAP.  I'll be sure it give my impressions when it arrives.

NoTMZyB.png

#10 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:35 PM

I have always presumed that milspec CamelBak products were made here in the US. Either way, please post up a review of your incoming bag. It's always nice to check out new humping gear.

#11 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

the 3DAP arrived an hour or so ago.  Initial impression:  This thing is quite simply built like a tank.  I'm very impressed with the build quality.  I actually decided to buy two (one for my wife as well).  They'll make great bags for motorcycle trips and the like. We purchased her's first because she's going to be putting it through it's paces as she trains for a GORUCK later this summer.  So my bag will have to wait another few weeks.  After we've had some time getting around with them I'll be sure to get a write-up done.

• Davis likes this

NoTMZyB.png

#12 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

SwatDawg, I was browsing another forum and a woman preparing for a GORUCK said that her husband just bought her a 3DAP. She says it was a really sweet gesture but she hates the pack with a passion and may divorce him over it. I don't know if it's just a coincidence or if it was your wife posting, but I'm concerned for you. Please send me her pack just to be on the safe side.

• Psybain, SwatDawg335, mangeface and 6 others like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#13 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

Setting the bar pretty high for Post of the Year, Spence.  Well played sir.

• Jersey0311 likes this

NoTMZyB.png

#14 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

Wow... I just realized how many likes he has... Congrats Spence!

89BccLb.png

#15 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

I think that's a new personal record.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#16 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

Spenceman,

It's more than a personal record; I think that may be a new forum record.

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#17 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:51 AM

Nah, record on the forum is like 14. Still a ways to go.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users