#1 Glitch'sTheName

Glitch'sTheName

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to find a good backup knife for my EDC. What factors help you choose what knife would be a good backup?

Right now I carry a ZT 0350 as my main knife, and am planning on getting a Kershaw Leek for a secondary EDC.
Any suggestions as to what would be good backups for these two knives?

#2 Klarktx

Klarktx

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 226 posts
  • LocationFlowery Branch, Ga

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

I carry a whole rotation (0350 happens to be one)

I always have a few blades. My backpack (always with me) has a multi tool and generally some other medium lower priced fixed blade for serious work if needed. I think today it was my SOG pup.

But I ALWAYS have a neck knife on. Which one depends on clothing, destinations.

Then my Glock 19 is at my 4o'clock.

I will sometimes have a boot knife instead of a necker. But usually not.

Just look for a neck knife the size you are comfortable with...but MAKE SURE you have good retention in the sheath.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#3 Glitch'sTheName

Glitch'sTheName

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

I'm thinking more about folding/assisted open knives- I'd have to get a permit to carry a fixed blade where I live.

What folders do you guys recommend?

#4 uncle_creepy

uncle_creepy

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg, Florida

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

I too carry the necker as my primary/BU depending on dress. My primary is a ZT 301. I just picked up a ZT 0771 for 130$ and it is nice.

ITs always an option to get a gerber or some other folder that is a good BU.

#5 Klarktx

Klarktx

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 226 posts
  • LocationFlowery Branch, Ga

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

I'm thinking more about folding/assisted open knives- I'd have to get a permit to carry a fixed blade where I live.

What folders do you guys recommend?

Then it seems I misunderstood your question. I took it that you are already carrying 2 folders.....not sure I can assist with yet another folder option. I thought you meant a backup as in another style of carry.

As far as other brands, models....that's a 50 page thread without really learning much. That comes down to taste, price range, etc.

I would say just this. You want quality, stay made in US. Benchmade, Emerson, etc.

You have 2 very good knives now. You may just want variety.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#6 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

It will definitely be situational depedning on what you are looking to use it as a backup for. If this is meant as a backup defensive knife get the permit just like your pistol permit. I carry a little TDI fixed blade on my left side but far enough forward on the belt to be accessible by either hand then I carry a benchmade assited opener in my right pocket.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#7 The_Red_Deer

The_Red_Deer

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

I know somebody will read this and think Im stupid but honestly. just get a Gerber paraframe 1. You will spend $20 and get an all around great folder. I have this as one of my EDC. With practice you wont ever even need an assisted open. I don't. Also the knife is very sturdy and can hold a good point for quite some time. When you see the knife you won think its $20 if that matters to you. Personally its one of my sexiest knives and also one of the cheapest. But just because i say this dont discount the fact that expensive knives are expensive for a reason wether its because it has a good brand, or it holds a good point, or even because it looks freaking awesome. Also one last thing, always remember " 2 is 1, 1 is none"
  • SwatDawg335 likes this

#8 mike2468

mike2468

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

My primary edc knife is a kershaw assisted open, my backup is a smith and Wesson border guard, if you catch it on sale you can get it really cheap around 20 bucks. It had a glass breaker and seatbelt cutter on it. I am also thinking about adding in a fixed blade Gerber in my pack too.

Tu7wwUX_zps4005c234.png

Strive to be a leader of Character, Competence, and Courage

#9 Millertime1103

Millertime1103

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

As far as EDC knives go, I just run a cheapy MTech neck knife, a CRKT M16 and my leatherman. I figure if I need something beyond those three, I'll just have to shoot the branches/trees/ropes etc :P

+1 on the Paraframes being a great knife. Just a head's up, REI has three different sizes all under $50. Holiday sales plus membership discounts make it a pretty good option.
-- Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Posted Image

#10 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

Living in the state of Commie-necticut I carry a Benchmade Mini-Grip 555 (sheepsfoot blade) as my primary folder and 2 SAKs as backup (a silver Alox Cadet in left hip pocket and a Hiker in borwn leather belt pouch). If I need anything beyond that I could always use the blade contained in my Leatherman Juice S2. The reasoning for my choices for each are as follows: the blue/silver color scheme of my Benchmade is probably less intimidating to the sheeple here than my all-black ZT, cannot be misconstrued by anybody as an auto, and is lightweight; my Cadet is very thin and lightweight, plus unintimidating; the Hiker suits the "traditional" image of what a pocket knife is and gives me additional tools like a tiny saw and full (albeit short) Phillips driver; and finally my S2's blade is more of an added bonus to the other tools it has, particularly since I find myself using the scissors far more often (impromptu coupon clipping [yes, I clip coupons]). I do not exactly like the fact that I generally only carry one knife that can be opened one-handed but money is too tight right now to allow for any of the other knives I want, and with the way the laws are going in regards to guns in this state I am trying to stay far inside the knife restrictions we have for length and auto/AO, which kind of cuts down on my options.

In regards to what factors should be considered when choosing a back-up knife I would say legal restrictions are primary, followed closely by weight. Durability is kind of a non-issue unless you go with a $12 Chinese knock-off (although those can still work ok for a while). As others have mentioned, it is also important to determine what cutting tasks you are most likely going to need your knife to perform; are you goign to be cutting cardboard boxes, opening letters, slicing thick hemp rope? Different blade styles will work better for different tasks. It might also be a good idea to consider whether you are going to want or have frequent need for other tools; if so a simple SAK might be the best choice for utility work since you already have other blades available for single-hand access and use. In any case, look around for deals; I managed to snag a Hiker, a couple Tinkers, a Super Tinker, a Fisherman and a Mechanic for $10 each in a used-knife bin without any sign of wear, rust, dulling or anything on the blades or tools.

#11 1219valleyforge

1219valleyforge

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts
  • LocationValley Forge Pennsylvania

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

My every day carry is a Benchmade Stryker Tanto point made from M2 steel . It has a titanium liner lock and a top mounted thumb stud .

This is my most favorite tool and in fact it is the second one I bought BECAUSE I lost my first one (that was a sad day) and at the replacement cost of around $140.00 .

I constantly now keep a closer eye and make sure I use a lanyard .

I'm in Home Depot looking around and I find a collection of pocket folding knives from the Milwaukee tool company the people who invented the sawz-all . At $14.00( that's fourteen dollars ) I had to buy it .

I take it home and put it next to my Benchmade, and I am amazed at the similarity and functionality. Same size and carry profile, a stainless 410 liner lock, and a 1040 carbon blade . It comes in an assisted opening Tanto and this cool Karambit style( which was intended for dry wall) the pocket clip is reversible , and the tension is adjustable . Oh and its Red to make it easier to find .

Im never giving up my benchmade but if I had nothing else or as a back up to one of my kits I would recommend the Milwaukee for its heft and function AND if I lose it , my kid wont be without shoes .

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4765.jpg

#12 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Validating
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:52 PM

Primary is a Kershaw 1550ST (kidney carry) with a backup on my key chain, in a Gerber Curve. Works for where I'm at.

#13 Gadsden11

Gadsden11

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

I edc a Benchmade griptillian and just bought another as backup. I also recently pocked up a ka-bar tdi to play with. I love the Benchmade. Jury is still out on the tdi.

#14 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

I EDC a Benchmade Griptilian and love it! I own two, well owned... I gave one to my wife and she loves it.

89BccLb.png

#15 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

I carry a Spyderco Paramilitary 2. Some of factors I consider for EDC folding knives are ergonomics, especially jimping on the spine, G10 handles that aren't too aggressive (I tend to stay away from pocket shredders like Emerson), a blade with protruding thumb studs or thumb hole.. and lastly manual frame lock or liner-lock since i'm in a communist state

[...] I also recently pocked up a ka-bar tdi to play with. I love the Benchmade. Jury is still out on the tdi.

I'm late to the TDI party but I definitely want to pick one up

#16 Paciaro

Paciaro

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 6 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

Most days I carry Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Covert, its slim, light and sturdy without feeling cheap, it has good blade steel (154CM), and it sits low in the pocket, if I carry 2 folders, I usually carry a ZT0301 and the Covert,

"You are not what you were born, but what you have within yourself to be."

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#17 1219valleyforge

1219valleyforge

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts
  • LocationValley Forge Pennsylvania

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

If you can find a new and better back up knife for under $20 buy two of them .

I carry a Benchmade M2 Tanto serrated Stryker and it has NEVER let me down , until the sad day I dropped it in the egg harbor river and it got lost for good (NOW I USE A LANYARD ).

I was able to replace it over time at the cost of $140 and now I kind of baby it .

So, I discovered that every situation does not need a high end tool to be successful .

In the Home Depot Tool Isle, I found a knife by the MILWAUKEE tool company ( The people who invented the sawzall) for under $20. It is considered to be a TOOL and it was made to fit that bill , Hefty 1040 carbon ( throws an incredible spark on a fire rod )420 stainless steel liner lock , additional opening safety lock.

I must tell you it has the same features as my high end knife (minus the Rockwell hardness of course ) and even a few I did not expect . The opening tension is adjustable, and the pocket clip is reversible .

Its red so if you lose it at dusk you have a good chance to find it ( Don't lose sleep it was only $20)

I liked this Karambit style but they also make an assisted opening tanto with a corrosion resistant coating its next on the list .

It has a warranty and is returnable within 30 days .( even if you bring it back in pieces, though unlikely)

There are too many other things I need to buy before an expensive back up knife . This does the job well, better than well ,much better than well ,and even much better than I expected.... see for yourself and remember your children might need shoes.

Attached Files

#18 George Matheis

George Matheis

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationYork County PA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

Whenver I decide on a new too it goes like this-

Selection- what is the tool for

Carry- where and how to carry it

Deployment- how am I going to get it out to use it, most people only consider standing and sitting when discussing the deployment of their deadly force options, what about disadvantaged postions like on your back, on your stomach, kneeling and crouching.

Use- how is it to be used

When I hear anyone talking about a back up gun or knife the first thing I think about is the ability to deploy and use it with your weak hand.  After years of force on force the only two knives I would feel comfortable recommending for that roll is the Emerson Karambit and Spartan Blades CQB tool.  If anyone would like to know my reasoning I can expand on it.  Good luck- George

#19 Cuchillo Negro

Cuchillo Negro

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 12 posts
  • LocationIndio, Ca.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:29 AM

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to find a good backup knife for my EDC. What factors help you choose what knife would be a good backup?

Right now I carry a ZT 0350 as my main knife, and am planning on getting a Kershaw Leek for a secondary EDC.
Any suggestions as to what would be good backups for these two knives?

Stick with the Kershaw if you have not already got a knife since this post is old.

#20 Ryantac79

Ryantac79

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Spyderco Tenacious... Cheap to buy... but great quality... I sometimes use it as my primary.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: backup knife, knife, EDC, every day carry, pocket knife

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users