• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 ssmith3351

ssmith3351

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

Hi Folks, I'm looking for some recommendations on an EDC bag. I've a rather large backpack, Maxpedition Jumbo, etc., but need something that I can carry a small 13" laptop, EDC stuff so I'm looking for some feedback on what you might carry. I'd like something small, but with lots of pockets, ability to carry a small laptop and isn't too heavy when loaded. I've read that the Maxpedition Mongo is too heavy for a single shoulder carry when loaded. I'd also like something that isn't telegraphing "military" when carrying CCW. ~Steve
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.png

#2 Michael Griffin

Michael Griffin

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

Blue Force Gear small DAP pack with whatever pouches suite your needs.  You can get a laptop sleeve but I have been using the integrated sleeve pocket for my ASUS with no issues.  They come in civi colors and are user customizable.  It's my new favorite pack, durable, American made and great size for just enough gear to get you through a rough spot.

#3 ssmith3351

ssmith3351

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out. I do like Maxpedition stuff as it holds up extremely well. I may end up with yet another bag from them; perhaps the Sitka.  ~Steve

#4 jasonhgross

jasonhgross

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:19 AM

Depends on your mission statement.  For me, that involves being as covert as possible since Every Day I work in the DC area.  So I blend in with a Timbuck2 messenger bag. 

#5 Cody Hahn

Cody Hahn

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:58 AM

I EDC my Toughbook, laptop goodies and other EDC gear in a Maxpedition Malaga. It fits like a glove, however I wouldn't suggest such a tight fit for a 'regular' laptop. I love the gearslinger line and if the Malaga is to small the Sitka should work great.
  • zatoichi likes this

#6 hcm004

hcm004

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

I picked up a Specialty Defense Tac Bag about four years back, but never got the opportunity to use it until recently and I don't want to use anything else.  I was using the TAD Gear messenger style bag for a while, which was nice, until I found the Tac Bag in my closet.  It's much more comfortable, although it can't fit much which proved to be a problem for me commuting to the city for classes.  It fit my 11" laptop, charger, and a few books at most.  But it is more than comfortable and has a good setup for concealed carry, if you're licensed.

#7 5thprofession47

5thprofession47

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

This has served me well for a while now:TAD Gear Dispatch Bag Sz2http://www.tadgear.com/shop.php?id=169 Posted Image 

Edited by 5thprofession47, 24 June 2010 - 01:34 PM.

Martial Blade Concepts - Certified Instructor

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#8 ssmith3351

ssmith3351

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:14 AM

Cody Hahn said:

I EDC my Toughbook, laptop goodies and other EDC gear in a Maxpedition Malaga. It fits like a glove, however I wouldn't suggest such a tight fit for a 'regular' laptop. I love the gearslinger line and if the Malaga is to small the Sitka should work great.

Thanks for the suggestions...I went down to our local GS and picked up a Sitka. I think its perfect for what I need to haul around and it will fit my 14" laptop. Love the construction of Maxpedition gear. ~Steve

#9 fuspar

fuspar

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:00 PM

I have been using a 5.11 Rush 24, perfect for my needs: Posted Image http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/All-Products/Accessories/Bags-Backpacks/RUSH-24-Backpack/D/30100/P/1:100:50000:50800:50805/I/58601
  • Rsy8806 and EmbraceTheSuck like this
Posted Image

#10 brockb

brockb

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

5thprofession47 said:

This has served me well for a while now:TAD Gear Dispatch Bag Sz2http://www.tadgear.com/shop.php?id=169 Posted Image 

I've been using one as my school bag for the last year.  I have really liked it so far, except for the molle on the back.  It always pulls my knife out of my pocket when walking around.  I have to switch sides to stop it from falling to the ground.

#11 5thprofession47

5thprofession47

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:06 AM

Brockb said:

5thprofession47 said:

I've been using one as my school bag for the last year.  I have really liked it so far, except for the molle on the back.  It always pulls my knife out of my pocket when walking around.  I have to switch sides to stop it from falling to the ground.

Have you tried to modify the molle on the back or perhaps adjust the shoulder strap so that the bag doesn't ride as low? I've never had that problem with my knives. Also, "two is one, one is none" always carry a spare knife (or two/wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gif).  Stay safe,Chris

Martial Blade Concepts - Certified Instructor

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#12 brockb

brockb

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:04 PM

5thprofession47 said:Have you tried to modify the molle on the back or perhaps adjust the shoulder strap so that the bag doesn't ride as low? I've never had that problem with my knives.

Also, "two is one, one is none" always carry a spare knife (or two/wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gif).  Stay safe,Chris

I thought about either removing the molle or having someone sew up a piece to cover it all, but just haven't gotten around to it.  It usually only does it if I'm trying to access it while I'm wearing it.  I prop it on my hip/leg to open the flap and get shit out of it. 

#13 opm9mm

opm9mm

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

I like my 5.11 RUSH 72.
DILLIGAF

#14 Orion

Orion

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

For the longest time as a National Guardsman I had been using my issued Assault Pack for my EDC bag, however, with an understanding of what it means to truly "survive," the Assault Pack is just too much. Its too high profile, it has too much on it, and its just too rediculous. Carrying anything with Molle, and especially something in a camouflage pattern, makes you stand out and become a high level target.My birthday was in June and my fiance surprised me with an Oakley Icon 3.0 because she had apparently seen me drooling over it, and let me tell you, this is the best thing to come to me in a long time. It has tons of storage space, its just common enough to allow me to blend into the crowd, and it is immensely difficult for anyone to try to steal my precious belongings out of it. The bag is made out very high quality materials and has withstood my very rigorous testing. Allow me to assure you, this bag will be my EDC for a very long time to come. I might go and pick up another one just so I can have a back up.

#15 papaswamp

papaswamp

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:00 AM

S.O. Tech Go bag and Mission Go Baghttp://specopstech.com/Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by papaswamp, 16 September 2010 - 06:56 AM.

• BLACK and NikkuSan7 like this

#16 George Matheis

George Matheis

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationYork County PA

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:56 AM

I have been rocking the SoTech Mission Pack for well over a year.  It is the only bag that I have carried for more than a few months.  I had been using a black one but just switched to a coyote one because it is much easier to find stuff in.  I am not a fan of lots of pockets on packs, instead I prefer to sub-load into smaller GP pouches from Eagle and Diamondback.  This makes it easier if I have to change things out for specific purpose.   I lived out of the MP while whilte attending Scout Camp this year with my son.  Once at the camp everything is on foot.  The ALICE type staps make the pack extremly comfortable.  For a pack 100% made in the USA by disabled Americans you really cannot go wrong.  Check out my block for a full review including contents.- George

#17 Mustang0268

Mustang0268

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:07 AM

I think you can break this down three ways.  First - construction.  Quality gear, from MaxPedition, TAD, or one of the top of the line outfitters is gonna last.  So if you keep to these and their ilk, you will find your gear staying together when you need it.Second - profile.  Low profile, either off-duty or CCW, suggests that wearing the latest in Croation Camo-Zamo with the attached frappacino pocket is NOT gonna cut it.  Additionally, keeping your silhouette from screaming "ruck hump" is probably helpful as well.  Finally, storing your EDC including your Internet Ingress gizmo (laptop, iPud, or whatever) in a streamlined rig is often mo' betta...Third - access.  To paraphrase Murphy.."if you need it, its gonna be in the pocket furthest from your gun hand.."  So, give some thought to what you store where.  For example, laptops and reference books can go in a low-profile backpack, because you are not often gonna need these quickly, or in an area/time constraint that is a "need it now" situation.  For those EDC access-now items, consider an over-the-shoulder and across-the-chest (..to Grandmothers house we go..) rig.  Sliding it around to grab a phone, light, or other useful item is easier than unrucking yourself.For example, I use a MaxPedition Colosus Versipak, with a pocketed strap extender as my "sidearm" so to speak.  Handles all the EDC and then some, and still not too high profile and very accessible.  If I gotta go long, I will strap on the TAD Litespeed pack, which can handle my laptop, iPud, books, magazines (words not rounds) and lots more.  The two actually work well together, though I look like a small pack train, but damn it I need all this stuff!!So..keep profile and access in mind, and accept that maybe it takes two bags for different mission profiles.  Just my thoughts..Cheers
Posted Image

#18 loki4606

loki4606

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:54 AM

Have you looked at the ITS Tactical bag? It may fit your needs the way you are looking while still not going "bling" I'm tactical. Check it out.

#19 mattb0313

mattb0313

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

I just got the Hazard 4 M.O.D. Messenger bag, it gives me more than ample space without being too big. it does have a slight tac. look to it but if you leave the cover flap on it it is no worse than any other nylon bag. The fact that it will fir a G36 or MP5 in it is a huge plus if you have the ability to acquire and carry such formidable protection. There are plenty of MOLLE attachment points on the interior of the bag but only a few on the exterior which is nice for being more covert. I can fit my MacBook Pro and charger in the rearmost padded pocket and everything else in the main or admin pockets. Currently I carry my MBP in the back next to my body, 3L bladder, KaBar TDI Large knife in the inter MOLLE panel 250 ft of 500 cord, computer lock, legal pad and books etc in the main pocket and misc pens etc.. and a smaller folding knife in the admin pocket. The padded shoulder strap negates some of the weight and it has a removable waist strap to keep it from being ripped off your shoulder. you should check it out I decided on this one over the Maxpedition Larkspur because of the bigger size, and orginazor pockets in the admin section that Maxpedition failed to incorporate. I bought mine from http://www.optactical.com and it was cheaper than from Hazard 4. http://www.hazard4.c...oducts_mod.html

#20 Dustman

Dustman

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:05 PM

I have been looking for a "tactical" laptop bag for a reasonable price and had been considering the SOE Messenger Bag, ITS messenger bag and the Maxpedition line of bags. I am pleased to read your review of the Hazard 4 MOD bag as I recently came across their web site while reading another forum here at ITS. The price is reasonable and the Hazard 4 website has a great video and product description of the bag. I hope to be ordering one soon unless somebody has a better recommendation. The MOD appears like it will fit my specific needs for an EDC bag.  I am currently using a 511 PUSH pack for my EDC and it has worked well for me but I feel the need to expand my kit and would like to have the option of carrying my laptop.   Semper Fi  Dustman   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users