32 replies to this topic

#1 The_Red_Deer

The_Red_Deer

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

I would much appreciate it if you would give me some advice on something fairly new in my life. EDC. I've been following ITS closely now for quite some time and I've come to the conclusion that i need to purchase a bag for EDC. I don't want a GR1. I feel like I need to learn more before investing into something of that price. Any suggestions on a bag to use? I'm not looking to spend big bucks. I want to start simple and upgrade as I feel needed. Also, what exactly do i need to carry in it? I have a rough outline made suggesting what I need to have and what I would like to have but any specifics you feel like i may need. I live in East Tennessee if that effects what I need to carry. Thank you, It will be much appreciated .

#2 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

I run a 5.11 MOAB 10 bag and am very happy with it. There's tons of threads here about contents you can research.

Welcome to ITS!

#3 The_Red_Deer

The_Red_Deer

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:36 AM

Thank you, but if I may, do you not find that that specific bag looks a bit obvious to what might be in it? Or does it not matter; Ordo you just keep it in a vehicle, office, etc.

#4 uncle_creepy

uncle_creepy

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg, Florida

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:13 AM

my opinion on the "tactical" look of bags is less important these days as most bags are taking the ballistic nylon approach and even the racks of kids school packs have rows of molle on them. IMO the simpler the design is the better and less obvious. What I see people do is strap a ton a stuff on the outside of their pack and slap bold patches and other in your face type of items on it. Color will make a big difference in your choice for looking "obvious" black is always a more subdued version of the most tactical looking items.

Good luck and spend as much time as you can reading the information on this site. you'll learn a lot.

#5 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

I wouldn't mind it not having all the MOLLE webbing but overall I'm not too concerned about toting it about. I've never had anyone pay me a second glance for it thus far.

#6 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:58 PM

Ok. I always believe if you buy cheap, you buy twice. With that in mind, there are a lot of good edc bags out there. Everything from messenger bags to backpacks.

I use a mookie war bag from original soe gear. Link below:
http://www.soebelts..../mookie-war-bag

Zulu Nylon Gear makes several bags. One looks like the nylon version of the "Indiana Jones Bag."

My Contents:
I carry a homemade EDC trauma kit. 2 tourniquets. Shears. Gerber. Dept issue Leather notebook and pen. Sunglass case. Nomad 7 solar charger with battery pack. Pocket led light. G26, holster, and extra mag. Gorilla tape and 550 cord rolled up onto a kubaton.

Also, always buy made in the USA gear when you can!

Edited by jgnolen, 03 December 2013 - 08:00 PM.

• JM82 likes this

#7 Romeo

Romeo

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

I have used more bags than I can remember. I work in software and I also work in law enforcement, so I need a daily bag that will manage my "technology" needs that I can fight out of if necessary. I have most recently used the Rush Moab 10 and Rush Messenger. I like both, and switch from time to time, but find myself back to the Messenger, usually within the same day. For me, I can access the contents of the Messenger much easier than I can the Moab or another backpack. Today I ordered the ITS Discreet Messenger, hoping that with it's two drawbridge pockets, it will give me a bit more room. One pocket for medical, and one for fighting; AR magazines, handgun magazines, etc. I really like the idea of the zipper to let me in the main compartment without having to open the flap. I see more and more messenger bags going route. I got the ITS holster, but not sure how much I will use it because I just carry a handgun on my hip, in a holster. My bags are mainly for "grab and go" purposes. Extra magazines, monocular, USB hub, laptop/tablet, extra power, batteries, etc. I sincerely hope that the Discreet Messenger will be my forever bag, but knowing me... So, I hope it's a great bag that I don't want to replace for years to come.

Oh, and it's my first day here on the forums...

#8 mike2468

mike2468

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

I am currently looking at getting a new edc bag and I am stuck between two bags. The TAD Litespeed and 5.11 rush 24 pack. I like that TAD is made in the USA. Also it looks like a much better bag but the price is a lot different too but I really don't care about. My last bag is an Oakley which I really like I just use it for work all the time now. What do you think?

Tu7wwUX_zps4005c234.png

Strive to be a leader of Character, Competence, and Courage

#9 The_Red_Deer

The_Red_Deer

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

Personally, I would buy something with half the quality of something else if it was made in America. That's me, I know, but I live in America so I'm going to support American businesses.

Edited by The_Red_Deer, 08 December 2013 - 02:06 PM.

• mangeface likes this

#10 mike2468

mike2468

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

Personally, I would buy something with half the quality of something else if it was made in America. That's me, I know, but I live in America so I'm going to support American businesses.

I agree, thats why I'm leaning towards the TAD. Plus for me it's always a local business. Just wondering if anyone has used a pack from them and what they thought about it.

Tu7wwUX_zps4005c234.png

#11 Bodstrup

Bodstrup

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

If EDC means "Every Day Carry", then look at something that you WILL actually carry with you every day. A MOAB 10 as suggested is a very nice bag for a trip where you need a lot of gear, but it is probably not a bag that you will carry in addition to a work bag - or when going shopping in the mall.

The largest EDC "bag" I find useful is a belt mounted pouch like a Maxpedition M2. It will hold my iPhone, first aid kit, small multi tool, flashlight, extra batteries, mini pry bar, some gaffer tape and more. Even though it is fairly compact, it is not something you will want to carry on a date or to a party.

Regards
Michael

#12 Ryan Fell

Ryan Fell

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTrenton, NJ

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

I've been using a Maxpedition Malaga for over 2 years and I love it. At first I packed it full of stuff and was all excited. Then slowly I noticed the things I used more often and began removing the less used items. Now I know where everything is in that bag. I have a smaller S.E.R.E/Survival bag inside so if I need to drop weight and take off I'll still be good for a short period.
Recently we took a family trip to Disney World and I didn't think the Malaga would be large enough for myself and my wife. I would need to include extra clothing i.e. sweat shirts, snacks, little things we've bought so I bought a 5.11 Rush 12 and it worked great for the both of us but when I got back I transferred everything back into my Malaga which for me is perfect for me. I've used this bag for everything. I bring it to work everyday, and I work as a maintenance man and the environment is highly corrosive. And it's done fine. I've been hiking with it and it still did great. It's a great bag.
One of the things I like about this bag is that it's an across the body strap as opposed to a double strap which was another reason i switched up during the Disney trip, I needed the support of of the double strap to carry all the weight for the long days. The single strap works great for getting in and out of my truck quickly and easily but still gives me the support I need when carrying it on my back through the city. A great bonus is that the single strap it has, it's an extra support strap that comes up under the opposite arm and really pulls everything in close. Just 2 days ago my wife and I went to a show in NYC and it did perfect. And it's not the first or last time it's made that trip.
So I guess what I'm trying to get at is don't get confused between EDC and a Bug Out Bag. EDC is exactly what it says it is. The stuff your going to need on your daily travels to and from work or to the gym plus the extra supplies you can use in case of and emergency. Mostly but not limited to a blade of some sort, one that can be a self defense knife and a survival knife, some thing to make fire and the knowledge to know how to make a fire, something for environmental protection, I like to carry a large shemagh, signaling devices, there is and endless number of things you might need, you need to decide on what environment
you'll be in most of the time and taylor you need to that. So find a bag that's not huge but not too small something comfortable and useful for you. That's an EDC bag in my opinion
A Bag Out Bag is something larger something for more long term survival maybe anywhere from 2 days to a week or more. So keep some of these things in mind when buying and EDC bag. You might get excited and over fill your bag like I did mine but after sometime with it you notice what's important and what's not. Remember some of these tried and true military guide lines.
"Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain"
"Two is one and one is none"
The first means pack light, don't kill yourself carrying around useless things
The second means if something has more then one use then it's more useful to you plus it save you weight. And back around to rule number one.

Hope that rambling works for ya.

#13 Ryan Fell

Ryan Fell

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTrenton, NJ

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

I agree, thats why I'm leaning towards the TAD. Plus for me it's always a local business. Just wondering if anyone has used a pack from them and what they thought about it.

I've been using a Maxpedition Malaga for over 2 years and I love it. At first I packed it full of stuff and was all excited. Then slowly I noticed the things I used more often and began removing the less used items. Now I know where everything is in that bag. I have a smaller S.E.R.E/Survival bag inside so if I need to drop weight and take off I'll still be good for a short period.
Recently we took a family trip to Disney World and I didn't think the Malaga would be large enough for myself and my wife. I would need to include extra clothing i.e. sweat shirts, snacks, little things we've bought so I bought a 5.11 Rush 12 and it worked great for the both of us but when I got back I transferred everything back into my Malaga which for me is perfect for me. I've used this bag for everything. I bring it to work everyday, and I work as a maintenance man and the environment is highly corrosive. And it's done fine. I've been hiking with it and it still did great. It's a great bag.
One of the things I like about this bag is that it's an across the body strap as opposed to a double strap which was another reason i switched up during the Disney trip, I needed the support of of the double strap to carry all the weight for the long days. The single strap works great for getting in and out of my truck quickly and easily but still gives me the support I need when carrying it on my back through the city. A great bonus is that the single strap it has, it's an extra support strap that comes up under the opposite arm and really pulls everything in close. Just 2 days ago my wife and I went to a show in NYC and it did perfect. And it's not the first or last time it's made that trip.
So I guess what I'm trying to get at is don't get confused between EDC and a Bug Out Bag. EDC is exactly what it says it is. The stuff your going to need on your daily travels to and from work or to the gym plus the extra supplies you can use in case of and emergency. Mostly but not limited to a blade of some sort, one that can be a self defense knife and a survival knife, some thing to make fire and the knowledge to know how to make a fire, something for environmental protection, I like to carry a large shemagh, signaling devices, there is and endless number of things you might need, you need to decide on what environment
you'll be in most of the time and taylor you need to that. So find a bag that's not huge but not too small something comfortable and useful for you. That's an EDC bag in my opinion
A Bag Out Bag is something larger something for more long term survival maybe anywhere from 2 days to a week or more. So keep some of these things in mind when buying and EDC bag. You might get excited and over fill your bag like I did mine but after sometime with it you notice what's important and what's not. Remember some of these tried and true military guide lines.
The second means if something has more then one use then it's more useful to you plus it save you weight. And back around to rule number one.

Attached Files

Edited by Ryan Fell, 31 December 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#14 Section13

Section13

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

I use a 5.11 Rush Delivery LIMA.

It's the medium sized messenger bag from 5.11, and I like it a lot. I've used it to and from work and for the most part it's always packed the same way. The most needed items are easily accessable from directly under the "lid" of the bag.

I'd take a look at it if you want a messenger-styled bag.

#15 j.k.chan24

j.k.chan24

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

On the topic of bags etc, for anyone looking for Maxpedition gear, there's a discount code going on at LA Police Gear for 20% off.  The coupon code is located on the top banner of the home page and runs until midnight of January 08th 2014; some restrictions apply but it doesn't seem to affect much if you ask me.  I've had overwhelmingly great customer service experiences with this company and figured I'd share. 

Posted Image

#16 CaseyCadaver

CaseyCadaver

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 44 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:20 AM

In my opinion, a generic backpack is all you need. Maybe a messenger bag if that's your style. Depending on the day and the trip, I juggle between 3 backpacks. If I'm going to the gym I take one of my Samsonites. It doesn't look like I'm packing anything but gym shorts, and it's not flashy either.

If I'm going hunting I take this...

2eec855a-165f-443c-9429-76af9f4d5468.jpg

I'm really rough on gear... Especially when I'm moving through brush. This is my cheapest bag so I don't mind if it breaks down. I'll sew it up and keep dragging it around. It's crazy small, and I can count on it never getting snagged on limbs or barbed wire.

Not everything needs to be shiny bells and whistles. Get something that gets the job done. And adapt. Sew on or cut away. It's your bag. DIY!!

“Listening to the average martial artists talk about real world violence is like listening to ten year olds talk about sex.” SGT. Miller

#17 z0phi3l

z0phi3l

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

My needs have changed, I need a medium sized bag with a laptop compartment since I should be getting a work laptop soon, was looking at the 5.11 Covrt 18 but am still looking for alternatives, was originally going to go with the TAD Litespeed but doesn't have a laptop pouch 

#18 mike2468

mike2468

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

Check out the Oakley Mechanism pack. I've had mine for years and its a great pack. Comes with a compartment for a laptop thats padded.

Tu7wwUX_zps4005c234.png

#19 Paciaro

Paciaro

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 6 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

+1 for the Maxpetion Malaga and the Oakley Mechanism pack Oakley Vault has the Mech pack for 99.00 right now it is the Angels MLB version but you can keep the Oakley Icon patch on there like I did.

"You are not what you were born, but what you have within yourself to be."

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#20 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

http://www.maxpediti...PACK-4p1344.htm

This maxpedition pack is what I am using currently.  Although due to my job I usually don't have the bag on my person it lives in my truck a lot of the time but I do carry it when situation permits.

As far as bag contents I think that is a decision you have to make for yourself. But my .02 carry things you will actually use or that will make your life easier.  You don't want to try and carry a full every situation bugout bag with you every day.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users