• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 nqthai

nqthai

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:07 PM

I'm looking for a solid watch with all the basic functions that will last me through weather and all terrain. Features like a compass or altimeter would be nice. Any suggestions?

#2 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:08 AM

I have had a Suunto Vector for years (probably almost 7 so far!) and absolutely love it! I just went skydiving for the first time a few weeks ago and actually was able to use my altimeter. I've never had a reason to truly use it and it proved to be pretty darn accurate, according to the instructors altimeter.The only problem I have with it is that to get an accurate temperature reading, you have to remove it from your wrist and wait 15-20 minutes. Other than that, mine has been pretty bomb proof. I've take a lot of spills while mountain biking and it hasn't had any problems. In the years that I've had it, I have only replaced the strap and the battery once. Prices fluctuate on them so shop around. I bought mine new on eBay for $140 even though it's MSRP was $220. They seem to hover close to that still actually.[Here is a pic of mine while hiking Old Rag Mountain]Posted Image
  • Willasan likes this

#3 fuspar

fuspar

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:26 AM

I have a Vector as well and pretty much have the same things to say about it as above. Great piece of gear and it's available in all black, keeping a low profile. I have smaller wrists, so I went with a velcro strap, which is starting to fall apart. Next I will try the NATO strap by TAD gear or the Maratac one.
Posted Image

#4 Shamrock63

Shamrock63

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

Running a Citizen Night Hawk Eco Drive Titanium for about 4 years now and aside from scratches on the face which only show when dirty its been great.  Very accurate and bright luminescence.  Definitely want to get a g-shock or a suunto for the days I don't want to have a metal band.

#5 ShadowForce1984

ShadowForce1984

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:13 PM

I've had my G-shock now for 5 years. It's been through everyday stuff, training, swimming, vacations, rifle classes, pistol classes, college, and it's with me everyday on duty/off duty. Right at $75, it's a very good watch. Here are my watches features:  200M Water Resist2 Time ZonesAlarmsCountDown TimerStopwatchDate/TimeE-Date Memory
  • tumbleweed likes this

#6 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:17 AM

At Christmas, my parents and inlaws went in together and got something on my real wishlist! Usually my wishlist is more of a shopping list but I have another that has all the things I want but would never buy myself. They got me a Suunto Core Extreme Edition EverestI wanted this watch for a few reasons:
  • I'm a huge fan of Suunto
  • It's limited to only 8848 pieces (for every meter of Everest)
  • It looks like something Tony Stark would wear
Haha but really, it has all the same features of the standard Core but it's just more expensive because it's limited edition and all. The bevel doesn't even move like the regular Cores. Note: Ever since I first saw the all black 'military' Suunto Core I began lusting over it and it's certainly on my list but I'm really excited that I got this limited edition one before they get all snatched up.While it's not really a goal of mine to summit Everest (well, it's kind of a goal but not one I'm even thinking about at all), it has been a goal to hike to the base camp of Everest. That may sound silly but I've read about people actually dying on their journey to base camp because they didn't acclimatize properly. Oh and the elevation is around 18,000 feet so nothing really to scoff at I guess. But anyway, for now, I hardly know anything about what I would need or need to do; it's just in the back of my mind as a 'life goal.'Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image 
  • Lao likes this

#7 Irishmanlost

Irishmanlost

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:30 AM

Anybody tried Luminox watches ?
  • tiger-26 likes this
"The More you sweat in Peace, The less you bleed in war"- Inscription above the entrance to the Navy SEAL Training Center   "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm."- George Orwell

#8 just a scout

just a scout

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:27 PM

I have a Luminox with the blue face. Nice and bright, about 3 years old now. I keep it on a "The Band" velcro strap with a Suunto M9 wrist compass on the strap. A little big, but accurate. I couldn't find anything smaller at REI when I was there that wasn't a toy.
  • Stevequatt51 likes this
Posted ImageVictory is reserved for who are willing to pay it's price.

#9 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:56 PM

I swear by my Suunto Core Military.
Posted Image

#10 Misanthropic_Gods

Misanthropic_Gods

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:50 AM

Seems to be a lot of Suunto love here, I personally REALLY like my Casio Pathfinder PAW-1500T (The titanium version), it has ALL the cool features it is hardened for water resistance up to 200m, so you can use it for SCUBA diving. Around the outside of the display is a solar cell, the battery life without ANY sunlight at all is 20 months in sleep state, 5 months regular use. The watch is also updated a few times a day using radio signals from the atomic clock in Colorado, and other respective radio signals overseas.The face displays the moon Phase, the Day, if it is daylight savings time, the time, the date and the Tide Chart, there is also a second marker that goes around the outside of the display. The crystal is totally flat, so its easy to see at any angle and there is no distortion, the case and band are Titanium, the numbers are easily seen, even in low light.  Some of the functions are Compass, Barometer/Thermometer, Altimeter, Moon phase, Tide graph, Countdown timer, 5 setable alarms, World time, Min/Max readings feature. Posted Image

Edited by Misanthropic_Gods, 12 March 2011 - 12:51 AM.

#11 CENTCOMSurvivor

CENTCOMSurvivor

Down Wit' Da Hui

• 947 posts
  • LocationTampa/St Petersburg Florida

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:33 AM

I have a Casio G-Shock "Mudman" 3031.  My other G-Shock lasted about 7 years of hard abuse.  For the price you cant beat a G-Shock.
Posted Image

#12 brockb

brockb

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

I wore a Casio G-Shock Mudman while I was in Iraq and it held up great.  I also liked having the dual time zones to see if the wife was awake for a phone call.  I don't really wear it much now that I'm back home.  Little to bulky and noticable, I've been trying to keep the military undertones from showing up in public.  Greyman……/wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_wink.gif

Edited by brockb, 13 March 2011 - 04:44 PM.

#13 readyme

readyme

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

I wear a Seiko SKX173 everyday as a firefighter, and it has held up for 5 years now.  They are a bit spendy, but I found this one used on Ebay for $70.  The nice thing about it, the lug is at the 4 o'clock position instead of the normal 3 o'clock position, and that makes it very comfortable.  Other than that it is a plain ol automatic diver's watch...so any movement automatically winds it.I have a hankering for a digital watch, so I have a G-Shock Mudman 9000 on order...I'll tell let you know what I think when it gets here.Obviously neither of these have an altimiter or compass, but personally I like to keep my tools simple and not have each one do too much. 

#14 1337hovie

1337hovie

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:46 AM

I'm using a g-shock g100-bv. I really like it, very durable - looks great. Paintball, Mountain Biking, snorkeling, sparring, and 2 'physical altercations' - still holding strong. Posted Image Only negative, is when the hands cover the digital reading between 4pm-6pm. Can't really see behind it. Aside from that - love this thing.atleast i know i can tuck-n-roll from a moving vehicle and know i'll be able to tell time accurately when i get up -  Gshock. :D -jt

#15 PrecisionHell

PrecisionHell

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:28 AM

I can't tell you the hell I've put my Suunto Vector through and it still is pretty much bulletproof. I myself am looking into either picking up another Vector or possible upgrading to the Suunto Core. I've seen the mention of the Casio G-Shock Mudman and other variants. I'd say you can't go wrong with those either. The only failure I and others I know have experienced with it is that the watchband has a tendency to break over time.
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.png

#16 AustinMRH

AustinMRH

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:44 AM

I've been a Suunto user since the Vector first came out about 10 yrs ago. Great watches and a good company (been through a handful of refurbs and repairs). Currently I'm wearing my CORE All Black. Nice watch, but the black screen gets old. It is tough to use for conditioning training as the stop watch and secondary watch functions (countdown, seconds, chrono, etc) are so small they almost disapear. So I just picked up a Timex Iron Man GPS last week through an industry insiders deal, coupled with the current $50 rebate it's a pretty hot option. It will get 15 hours when the GPS is on and ~20 days with the GPS off. It also charges off a USB so most of the solar chargers are an option. With programable way points, GPS tracking, obscene number of programable options, and a pretty burly body this is probably going to become my ODC (Out Doors Carry) watch.
Noli nothis permittere te terere.

#17 Phil800101

Phil800101

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:48 AM

Irishmanlost said:

Anybody tried Luminox watches ?

just a scout said:  

I have a Luminox with the blue face. Nice and bright, about 3 years old now. I keep it on a "The Band" velcro strap with a Suunto M9 wrist compass on the strap. A little big, but accurate. I couldn't find anything smaller at REI when I was there that wasn't a toy.

I love Luminox. I had one of the original Navy Seal models with the black face that I wore for about 5 years. Upgraded about six years ago to the Series 3200 with the SS body/band, with a blue face. I replaced the band last year, but otherwise the watch is still nice and bright and going strong. I really like the fact that I can wear it casually, or with a suit, and not look out of place in either situation. For outdoors and what not, I wear a Casio G-Shock. Just the classic one. Works well, and not as expensive to replace as the Luminox if something happens.

Edited by Phil800101, 29 April 2011 - 07:51 AM.

#18 ACPmedic

ACPmedic

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:31 AM

I have a few watches (I'm a bit of a collector), but the one I usually wear is a Victorinox DiveMaster 500m, in titanium. Built like a tank, and very luminescent.

#19 cptpjnii

cptpjnii

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:33 AM

I bought a Seiko (automatic) Diver's watch with my first Army paycheck in 1992. Aside from changing bands, it never had any maintenance and was my daily wear watch. Two years ago my wife bought me an Omega Seamaster... a worthy replacement for the Seiko.

#20 Phish

Phish

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

I use the G-Shock  GA100-1A1G. Awesome watch that is put through hell everyday and works just fine! /wp-content/forum-image-uploads/phish/gshock.jpg
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users