• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 missed

missed

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:03 AM

Ive been using my suunto core all black for a little over a year. Between adventure racing mountain bike and genral weekend warrior stuff things been  bomb proof.

#22 LAPyroFighter

LAPyroFighter

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:51 AM

+1 for the Suunto Vector.  I've been wearing mine for 2 years now and it was the best investment on a watch I could do.  The compass has actually saved my butt a couple times too.  I was always torn between the Core and the Vector and I finally just pulled the trigger on the vector and I'm glad I did.  For all those Suunto Core Military users...how's the black on black? I always figured it would be difficult to read. 
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.png

#23 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:55 AM

I've had my G-Shock for about a month now and I love it! It's really lightweight and rugged. Mine was only $59.99 too!
Posted Image

#24 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:55 AM

@LAPyroFighter - I have the Vector with black on black and I love it! I understand what you mean about it being difficult to read but it doesn't phase me at all.

#25 LAPyroFighter

LAPyroFighter

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:34 AM

@Mike - I think I stared at the Vector Black on Black for a week online before I bought it.  But I wouldn't give this one up for anything.  It helps me while i'm hunting especially long distance shots.  I want to try the X10 to see if it's really worth the 650 they want for it. 
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.png

#26 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:40 AM

@LAPyroFighter – I thought the X10 would be cool but a friend bought it and had it for only a week before returning it. The battery life is crazy short when truly using the GPS and it seems like something that just become a paperweight when out on the trail. That was about 2 years ago and I'm not sure if they made any improvements though.

#27 wwade63

wwade63

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:47 PM

25 years ago I started out as G-Shock guy.  I bought into Sunnto over 12 years ago with a Vector.  I was issued an Adviser in 2004 for my first deployment to Afghanistan.  When my personal Vector gave out (I'm hard on watches) I went to the X10.  I loved the X10, but like Mike's friend, after about a year it simply wouldn't hold a charge.  I found a G-Shock GD100 military (blacked out, red back light) a few weeks ago while I was home on R&R.  Now I've come full circle back to G-shock.  I added a Brunton wrist compass to the band as I need the ability to  determine cardinal directions quickly.  For any distance type navigation the GPS comes out.  In any case, we will see how it works out.  If I go back to Suunto, it will likely be the blacked out Core.
Posted Image

#28 RobTheBlob

RobTheBlob

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

I'm a big fan of Luminox. I know Suunto has some great watches, but I prefer an analog chrono Swiss movement.
"If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid."

#29 milspeclabs

milspeclabs

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:04 AM

I've worn a Casio Pathfinder PAW-1100 everyday for about five years. It has stood up to farm work and construction work just fine. It has more features than my truck with the dual compass readouts, analog and digital, being most useful. The barometer with its history graph is helpful for weather planning.

#30 Kenny

Kenny

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 137 posts
  • LocationWatauga, TX

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:05 AM

I'm surprised to see so many Suunto lovers here. Other than one of the guys that work at my local bike shop, I haven't seen any other Suunto owners. I have a Vector and an all black Core. The Vector is my primary watch.
Posted Image

"Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful. Semper Erectus - Always Hard"

#31 John McCullough

John McCullough

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:15 AM

Not mentioned yet but I love my traser H3 Code Blue. Be forewarned it's analog but it has 24/7, hands-free legibility. No illumination buttons to press, nothing that needs ambient light to charge it, etc. It can be read in a split second while half asleep in the middle of the night- I like that. It's also lightweight, comfortable and thus far indestructable.

Edited by John McCullough, 17 November 2011 - 07:16 AM.

#32 loki4606

loki4606

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:54 AM

Few watches to look at and I own and use personally: One Suunto Core - Got this off a dude that needed money bad before going home and he wanted $100 for it almost brand new. That was 2 years and 4 countries ago. Has everything you ever need for it, Yes I know the asking price of $350-400 is steep but you pay for what you get. The only gripe I have with it is the battery doesn't seem to last very long in it. 5-7mo max for me. This one I own is the reverse negative face. All black with light colored numbers.  Next is the Casio Frogman Edition- Got this in Europe at the time as it was hard to find in the USA. Great dive watch if your into that type of stuff, on board computer elapse timer etc. Great watch and sturdy feeling than most Casio's so gives you that sense it wont die on you. This is the Solar powered model so its great on battery life with recharge ability. Last and my personal favorite is my Omega Seamaster Professional Blue face. This watch has seen more countries (both combat ones as well) than James Bond gets laid it seems. It works great for everything. Yes it doesn't give barametric pressure and cardinal directions etc. But I can dive, jump, shoot, drive, get tossed from cars, boats and trains and it keeps on ticking. (latter few have not done personally, not planning on it to) but you can't beat it and do all that and go to suit and tie for dinner and have someone not glance at it or give that snobbish nod as you fit in the click look. Keeping this one for a long time as its being "will'd" to my first son when I pass.  Lots of great options out there and love hearing about others experiences.  Loki

#33 TomS

TomS

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

Adanac Navigator II. it has all the needed features, is current mil-issue, and can be had for about 50.00. CountyComm and Broadarrow carry them if I'm not mistaken.

#34 Omer Baker

Omer Baker

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

Has anyone come into contact with 5.11 watches? The price seems nice and the features are decient but I've read that the face is cheap and easily scratched. I think I may get a new watch an I was leaning toward a Suunto but these 5.11's caught my eye I was hoping for some more hands on reviews. Thanks!

#35 Packetknife

Packetknife

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

I have not owned a 5.11 watch but I was told by a shoppe owner that while he considers their flashlights a solid lower-cost alternative to other makers - and he carries everything 5.11 - he was going to stop carrying their watches after repeated customer complaints. This was a conversation just a few weeks ago. That's the $0.02 laundered by proxy so *shrug* -Pk

#36 Demondawg13

Demondawg13

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:15 AM

I've got a Casio G-Shock and I've had it for about 6 years now. Its held up really well and its super comfortable. However, I will admit I am looking to get something new and so this thread has been super helpful. But considering mine cost about $80 and has held up this long, its not a bad way to go if you don't have a couple hundred to drop on a watch.
Sheepdogs: Alert, vigilant, not aggressive but prepared to do battle.

#37 Omer Baker

Omer Baker

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

So I bought the Core All Black Military. Now I want to make a paracord band for it, but I need the lugs from a 24mm Suunto band($50). If I knew I wanted to do this before I bought it I could have bought one with the lugged band and bought a regular band for $35. I did see a Suunto Mosquito band for cheap with a set of adapters but I don't know if it'll work with the Core. Does anyone have both the Core and Mosquito, and could they let me know if the Mosquito adapter would work?

#38 tdbarge

tdbarge

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 93 posts
  • LocationNOVA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

Just picked up a pretty nice Deep Blue. I got it off a member of another forum. So far I'm loving it. There's something to be said about a nice steel watch on your wrist. With that said I've been wearing a Gshock for the past year and it will continue to ride on my wrist quite often. Posted Image

#39 Hazard

Hazard

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:22 AM

Maybe someone can help me out. I am lookin for a cloth cover that slides over the face of your watch and thereby it protects it against glinting in the sunlight. I've seen them on a couple of IDF picture shots but I have no idea whats their official name of even what to google them as. Im lookin to get them within the month because I will be needing them within the month, thanks for your help guys!

#40 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:44 AM

Hey Hazard, I can't seem to find it but I know a buddy of mine [@ufridman] posted a pic of one he made online. I'm trying to get some info from him about it and he may even be interested in putting together a DIY article on it.[from Instagram user @bfgreen]"Saw Lee Marvin wearing this watching 'Delta Force' last night..."Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users