#42 Kenny

Kenny

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 137 posts
  • LocationWatauga, TX

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:24 AM

Hazard said:

Maybe someone can help me out. I am lookin for a cloth cover that slides over the face of your watch and thereby it protects it against glinting in the sunlight. I've seen them on a couple of IDF picture shots but I have no idea whats their official name of even what to google them as. Im lookin to get them within the month because I will be needing them within the month, thanks for your help guys!

It's been years since I've had a watch cover/protector, but I'm pretty sure I bought it at a military surplus store.
Posted Image

"Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful. Semper Erectus - Always Hard"

#43 Kenny

Kenny

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 137 posts
  • LocationWatauga, TX

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

I have had a Suunto Vector for years (probably almost 7 so far!) and absolutely love it! I just went skydiving for the first time a few weeks ago and actually was able to use my altimeter. I've never had a reason to truly use it and it proved to be pretty darn accurate, according to the instructors altimeter.The only problem I have with it is that to get an accurate temperature reading, you have to remove it from your wrist and wait 15-20 minutes. Other than that, mine has been pretty bomb proof. I've take a lot of spills while mountain biking and it hasn't had any problems. In the years that I've had it, I have only replaced the strap and the battery once. Prices fluctuate on them so shop around. I bought mine new on eBay for $140 even though it's MSRP was $220. They seem to hover close to that still actually.[Here is a pic of mine while hiking Old Rag Mountain]

I've had a Suunto Vector for 2 years (this month) and have had to replace the battery once. And, I've had a Suunto Core for 1 year (in January) and I've had to replace the battery twice. But, I still Love Suunto watches. The Vector is the one I wear pretty much everyday.
Posted Image

"Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful. Semper Erectus - Always Hard"

#44 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

At Christmas, my parents and inlaws went in together and got something on my real wishlist! Usually my wishlist is more of a shopping list but I have another that has all the things I want but would never buy myself. They got me a Suunto Core Extreme Edition EverestI wanted this watch for a few reasons:

• I'm a huge fan of Suunto
  • It's limited to only 8848 pieces (for every meter of Everest)
  • It looks like something Tony Stark would wear
Haha but really, it has all the same features of the standard Core but it's just more expensive because it's limited edition and all. The bevel doesn't even move like the regular Cores. Note: Ever since I first saw the all black 'military' Suunto Core I began lusting over it and it's certainly on my list but I'm really excited that I got this limited edition one before they get all snatched up.While it's not really a goal of mine to summit Everest (well, it's kind of a goal but not one I'm even thinking about at all), it has been a goal to hike to the base camp of Everest. That may sound silly but I've read about people actually dying on their journey to base camp because they didn't acclimatize properly. Oh and the elevation is around 18,000 feet so nothing really to scoff at I guess. But anyway, for now, I hardly know anything about what I would need or need to do; it's just in the back of my mind as a 'life goal.'Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageÂ

Now THAT'S a watch.... excellent choice!
Posted Image

#45 Stevequatt51

Stevequatt51

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida, USA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

I recommend Luminox for everyday use. I haved used them since 2002 starting as a young LEO on patrol and still use them today in plain clothes law enforcement. I have that original watch, blue faced navy seal watch, and plan on giving it to my newborn son one day. I have two others which I rotate and are great for EDC. I have used them in the desert wearing 5.11s and in DC wearing suits. Great watch and highly recommend for everyday use. If you are doing something a bit more operational or need additional features the watch above looks pretty good.
Posted Image
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” George Orwell

#46 OhioGuy

OhioGuy

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ohio

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

I just happened to stumble upon this topic and it's been really informative. I love watches and my wife makes fun at me because I watch, watch shows on TV. If you have cable there is a fairly new show that is out there called "World of Watches TV". Here's the website: LINK

I'm hooked on this show and could almost watch it 24/7. If you're looking to buy a watch check out this site first. Although, they don't carry everything it's still a fun site to browse.

#47 Bullets

Bullets

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

I used to wear the G-Shock G-Lide because the tide and moon phase was a great feature. When i want to dive or surf it was fantastic but as i wore it more i got more function out of it. When working water rescues being able to know if the tide is coming or going was awesome

I upgraded to the G-rescue which adds atomic and solar power

#48 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

Take a look at the SUUNTO AMBIT or CORE. I had used a VECTOR in Xblack but that barometer technology is over 15 yrs old. Two years ago i upgraded to the CORE Black with orange strap. I never used the orange strap, i replaced it with a 24mm black zulu nylon band. The CORE is quite better technology. It has a button lock the VECTOR lacked and needed so much. I havent used the AMBIT but i hear it rocks. I hear it has a GPS function which would theoretically give better altimeter readings.

There is another altimeter watch maker, HIGHGEAR. I think they are still around. I used a NIKE designed watch that had HIGHGEAR's altimeter/compass in 2002-2004. I dont think NIKE does outdoor watches anymore. The NIKE's plastic casing where the band connected cracked. I never got it fixed. It is in a drawer now. My VECTOR Cracked in the same spot. The CORE's strap system is better designed so it shouldnt have that problem. I have since sent my VECTOR to SUUNTO for reconditioning. SUUNTO has excellent customer and repair service!

I would go to a store and try them on before purchasing. Get the salesperson to walk you through the functions. If they dont know, dont buy from them. Find your local outdoor/camping/hiking store. REI should have someone who knows how to use them.

Edited by jgnolen, 18 January 2013 - 01:50 AM.

Posted Image

"Any questions, comments, gripes, bitches, or complaints? Well, I will address them in order of the amount of fucks given. Thanks and I don't give a shit how the rest of your day is." 1SG Kirkland

#49 Savoy6

Savoy6

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

I have a citizen pro master wingman since 1990 in great shape, a Casio gold faced Diver for 17 years, a Luminox original SEAL, still going after ten years, a Casio Pathfinder still ticking at 7 years and just added a SUUNTO Core military. I still have more knives than watches, but am gaining. Ive worn them in extreme heat, cold, dust, snow. When I was a firefighter I went thru a watch once a year, but they've become more robust over the years. Digital watches then were new and "expensive", and very sensitive. I froze one getting it wet and exposing it to the wind at a fire. Never happened to any of the ones I own now.

I love the Core's storm alert feature and the altimeter, well worth the money if you want a watch that you can rely on. Of course on the trail, a GPS with the same features is a nice backup as well as a tritium lensatic compass. I try to pack a supply of common sense for EDC.

#50 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

I actually now have the CountyComm Maratac Large Pilot watch. I love it so far and I've been wearing it daily.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#51 BLACK

BLACK

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

I have a G-shock pathfinder and it is a great watch(I found one for 100.00) but changing the batteries is a PITA.
I cant say I totally trust the digital altimeter, compass and barometer as they have been off several times and the battery life suffers becuase of the extras features. . I still use it but I alternate between my classic G-shock which sports a Suunto "clipper" compass clipped to the band and has been running non stop for years on the same battery. I am still looking into a small thermometer option that can somehow be affixed to the band....nothing that a little patch of paracored wont solve.

#52 cjcold

cjcold

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

I recently retired my 27 yo Rolex Daytona Chronograph as an EDC simply because my eyes are getting so old it became impossible to see without reading glasses (and it has appreciated to the point that it is now just too valuable to wear as an EDC beater). After much research, the Luminox rose to the top of the heap. It can be read under ALL lighting conditions, seems fairly tough and waterproof, and with the Suunto clip compass on the band (getting hard to find since they have been discontinued) a quick glance keeps me from losing my way (at least physically).

#53 Huntsman

Huntsman

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 28 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

I have enjoyed both my Luminox 3000 series and my SUUNTO Core. They both serve a different purpose extremely well. I took the SUUNTO up Mt. Whitney and it worked great.
Posted Image

#54 Nemesisin707

Nemesisin707

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

Core Military and Casio Pathfinder.

#55 Probablytaken

Probablytaken

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

Been loving my G-Shock AWG101-1A. Nothing better than Solar/Atomic that I can wear anywhere and never worry about it. Did a custom band with 3/16" cord.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream.
It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan
Posted Image

#56 tumbleweed

tumbleweed

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 158 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

I've had my G-shock now for 5 years. It's been through everyday stuff, training, swimming, vacations, rifle classes, pistol classes, college, and it's with me everyday on duty/off duty. Right at $75, it's a very good watch. Here are my watches features: Â 200M Water Resist2 Time ZonesAlarmsCountDown TimerStopwatchDate/TimeE-Date Memory

I am a G-shock man too, I had one G-shock that lasted my entire military career and 5 more years in civie life before it finally died completely. Almost 13 years on one watch and it went through hell and back.
Posted Image
Carpe Ductem!
Oath Keeper

#57 WarrenPeace

WarrenPeace

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 121 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Started wearing one of these while down range -- I'm on my third but normal civie wear would have been kinder to them. (Compass, altimeter, barometer, stop watch, etc) Love them.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#58 cjcold

cjcold

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Just talked to a lady at Suunto (very sexy accent) and was advised that they are re-designing the clippit with tritium cardinals. No release date as of yet.
  • WarrenPeace likes this

#59 ssmith3351

ssmith3351

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

I'd recommend just about any of the Casio G-Shock watches. I have quiet a few of them, but prefer the atomic solar variety. You'll never have to change batteries or set the time.

Having said that my latest is the GD350-8

http://www.gshock.co...lassic/GD350-8.

They battery powered units do last a very long time. I've got a few I've had over 5 years and haven't changed the battery in them yet.

Good stuff.

~Steve
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.png

#60 langston302

langston302

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Citizen Nighthawk. Had this for 8 years and its bullet proof. strong as hell and as long as there is light from any source you will never need a battery. I love the eco drive system. Yeah there are scratches on the crystal but seriously its been abused like no other watch. I very rarely take it off. It showers with me, sleeps with me, goes to all my training and such. Been covered in mud, snow, rain, all sorts of goo and crap. Still love this watch. I want the black model so bad but these are still relativly expensive.
Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users