• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Just curious as to what shoes everyone wears on a daily basis. Give some insight as to why you wear them.

I personally sport Adidas Sambas. Great priced, good support and they've been my shoe of choice for the better part of 15 years (started wearing Adidas for soccer and have never turned back on the Samba).

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#2 mike2468

mike2468

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

I wear new balance for every day stuff. Either a running shoe or a walking shoe. I like those because they give great support all day and they are comfortable.

For work I wear 5.11's. But I'm kind of unhappy with those. Wearing them all day they are fine but when I get in foot chases after my feet hurt sometimes. Any opinions on a good boot?

Tu7wwUX_zps4005c234.png

Strive to be a leader of Character, Competence, and Courage

#3 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

I have been wearing Danner's since I was about 12 years old, now almost 20 years later I still have not found a boot I like better and I wear them almost every day. I use to wear the Danner Acadia, Recon, or the Ft. Lewis when it was cold, but now that I live in a warmer climate I wear the Danner Blackhawk II, which is the all leather, 6" non-insulated version, however as I am typing this I did a quick search and just discovered that Danner has discontinued this particular boot so I'm going to have to find a different model. I have tried 5.11 boots and UA boots and just have not been happy with them. I wear my Danner's pretty much every day of the week and I usually get about a year and a half to two years out of a part and I typically spend between $200-$300 for a pair of boots. They are just one of those things that I do not skimp on. 

Why I wear them... when I was a kid I wore them because they were great outdoor boots and I grew up in AK. As an adult I wore them for uniform boots while I was a firefighter and then at my current place of employment they were my uniform boot of choice for working in helicopters and though I am now not on the helicopters very much and spend most of my time in the head-shed I still wear them as I think a solid boot with good ankle support is a very important part of EDC. With my boots on I feel like I am prepared for just about any situation, as far as a footwear standpoint goes anyway. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#4 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

Garmont T4 GTX

http://www.extremeou...armntt4gtx.aspx

They feel like New Balances on steroids. I'm about to pick up a pair in black to wear at work. Most comfortable boot I've worn, and I'm a die hard Bates fan. I'm about to convert after wearing these for almost 2 years now.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#5 mike2468

mike2468

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

Thank you for the tip Davis. I'll have to check those out. Lasting that long is better than any boot I've ever used. I usally only get 6 months to a year out of mine.

Tu7wwUX_zps4005c234.png

#6 mike2468

mike2468

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

Garmont T4 GTX

They feel like New Balances on steroids. I'm about to pick up a pair in black to wear at work. Most comfortable boot I've worn, and I'm a die hard Bates fan. I'm about to convert after wearing these for almost 2 years now.

You have my attention with your first sentence lol. Will look into these for sure, thanks for the tip.
  • Jersey0311 likes this

Tu7wwUX_zps4005c234.png

#7 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

Thank you for the tip Davis. I'll have to check those out. Lasting that long is better than any boot I've ever used. I usally only get 6 months to a year out of mine.

When you check out the Danner's be sure to note that some of them are made in the USA and some of them are not. Typically all of their boots that are "stitch-down" sewn are made in the USA. There is a difference, I once had a pair of the imported Danner's and they did not hold up as well. With Danner's, made in America really does make a difference. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#8 mike2468

mike2468

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

When you check out the Danner's be sure to note that some of them are made in the USA and some of them are not. Typically all of their boots that are "stitch-down" sewn are made in the USA. There is a difference, I once had a pair of the imported Danner's and they did not hold up as well. With Danner's, made in America really does make a difference.

Good to know. I prefer buying US made merchandise anyways, better to support jobs here.

Tu7wwUX_zps4005c234.png

#9 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

You have my attention with your first sentence lol. Will look into these for sure, thanks for the tip.

Think New Balance or tennis shoe, but with more comfort, support and durability, I'm going to keep buying these til they stop being made. Hell I might buy a few contingency pairs so I have enough to survive the zombie apocalypse. They fit snug, but not so snug you get blisters. Perfect. They're a steal at $99.99.

I also have 5.11 boots, and there is absolutely no comparison whatsoever. They've been relegated to being a spare set in the truck for work. And one pair I haven't even worn that often. I'd trash 'em and buy the Garmonts.

If I were going back overseas, this is the boot I would take.

Edited by Jersey0311, 19 December 2013 - 03:27 PM.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#10 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

For work, CS Schmidt (Tractor Supply house brand made by Timberland) 8" boots and for everything else Timberland 6" boots

#11 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

I wear a pair of keen low top hiking shoes right now they work well as to why I happened to find them in sale.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#12 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:49 AM

... I typically spend between $200-$300 for a pair of boots. They are just one of those things that I do not skimp on.

I completely agree, footware is not something to skimp on. I would rather have a pair of expensive comfortable shoes or boots than a pair of inexpensive shoes or boots that kill my feet. My choice for everyday wear right now is a pair of dark brown Merrell Perimiter Gore-tex hiking boots with green Superfeet inserts. I originally got them just for hiking but they are far more comfortable than any of my other shoes/boots. I have had them for just under a year and they still look almost as good, and feel as good, as when I bought them. As far as my other available footware, for running I have a pair of New Balance (thinking about trying UK Gear when it's time for replacing), for lifting I have a pair of 8-year-old Cuck Taylor Classics, for yard work I have a pair of composite safety toe Blackhawk Black Ops that will soon be replaced with a pair of U.S.-made Danners, and finally I have a pair of hardly worn black dress shoes.

#13 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

When I'm not wearing "dress shoes" I wear my Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX and I love them!

5025-449_AUT13_view1_1000x1000.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#14 ALPHA MIKE

ALPHA MIKE

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

Garmont T4 GTX

haha, nice!  Definitely going to check these out.

#15 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

When I'm not wearing "dress shoes" I wear my Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX and I love them!

5025-449_AUT13_view1_1000x1000.jpg

Same here. I've got two, a Black pair and a green pair. The black pair I've completely worn out! They've been moved to yard work shoes.

I rotate a pair of Asolo Fusion 95 and Asolo Fugitive for SRT. It's good the team Lt lets us wear almost anything we want. Our Uniform is OD Green, both pairs are brownish so they blend ok. They are super comfortable and super quiet. Good for running, great for carrying heavy loads.

Uniform Patrol, I wear 5.11 Storm GTX. They do ok. They last about 6-12 months.

#16 SFPD2010

SFPD2010

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 32 posts
  • LocationN. IL

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:28 AM

Danner Acadias at work, otherwise I wear either my Ariat square toe or new balance running shoes.

#17 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

Garmont T4 GTX

I've been wearing the same boots for about 15 months now and I totally agree. I wish I could wear them for work.
  • Jersey0311 likes this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#18 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

I've been wearing some hippy minimalist shoes, for the last year and they're wicked comfortable. Unfortunately they're big time hippy shoes, (they're vegan, how can a shoe be vegan) so I feel shame supporting them. The company is called Lems if I'm not mistaken.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#19 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

I've been wearing some hippy minimalist shoes, for the last year and they're wicked comfortable. Unfortunately they're big time hippy shoes, (they're vegan, how can a shoe be vegan) so I feel shame supporting them. The company is called Lems if I'm not mistaken.

So if they are vegan does that mean they are edible? 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#20 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

So if they are vegan does that mean they are edible?

"Everything in this room is eatable, even you. But that is called cannibalism, and is frowned upon in most cultures."
-William Wonka, chocolatier extraordinaire
  • mangeface, Davis and DeathwatchDoc like this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users