3 replies to this topic

#1 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

About two months ago I was in the market for a new IWB holster. I did some research and decided to try out the Safariland Model 18. I have long been a fan of Safariland duty/tactical type holsters but I have never tried them for any kind of concealed platform. I figured it was worth the risk though because I know they make a quality product. I will also say that in the past I have only used leather IWB holsters, so this was a change of pace for me.

Sidearms I carry with it:

Glock 23 and Glock 22, both Gen 4

Pros:

• Fully retains shape for easy re-holstering
  • Has nice suede finish on the outside of the holster for IWB comfort
  • Minimal sweat guard (“combat cut”) for an easy full grip draw
  • High quality construction
  • Perfect mold, so no break in period

Cons:

• Belt loops are a little too short, about a 1/8th inch longer would be perfect
  • No tension adjustment screw; this is not necessarily a Con as I would not add any more tension to it if I could, but some may like to have this option.
  • Does not have an adjustable cant

I carry the holster on my strong side at the 3 o’clock position, which it works very well for. It can also be used for further back carry, say around the 4 o’clock position as well as appendix carry if you’re into that.

The particular holster I got specifies that it is for the Glock 19/23 (mid-size) but it works perfectly for my full size Glock 22, so the interoperability is great.

Overall this is a good IWB holster. If you in the market for a new holster and are looking to the kydex side of things, this is a good option to consider for the price. 

Photos:

The first photo with gun is the G23, the second photo with gun is the G22. The muzzle on the G23 remains slightly recessed where the muzzle on the G22 protrudes very slightly, however the front sight stays within the protection of the holster. 

Attached File  IMG_1611.jpg   153.6KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1612.jpg   149.17KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1613.jpg   153.33KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1614.jpg   204.5KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1616.jpg   187.88KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1617.jpg   216.89KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1618.jpg   160.49KB   0 downloads

Edited by Davis, 04 January 2014 - 12:01 PM.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#2 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Nice write up... Is it just me or is that part of the trigger guard extending outside the cover of the holster?

Someone needs to do one of these about the RCS Phantoms... I am really curious if they live up to the hype.

• Davis likes this

89BccLb.png

#3 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

Yes, a very small amount of the trigger guard does extend outside of the cover of the holster, but it is very minimal. I don't think it's enough space for there to be any way something get get in there and cause an AD. 

Regarding the RCS Phantom... I have one for my Kimber and yes it is a very nice and very high quality holster, but I personally do not think it is worth the price point and especially not worth the lead time; I waited almost 5 months for mine to come in. There is a local AZ company (http://hdcustomkydex.com/) that I have purchased two other kydex OWB holsters from and the cost is less and he makes them for me in 4 to 5 days. The quality is not as polished and refined as the RCS brand but they work well for me. Unless I can get one no more then a week, I will not personally use RSC again. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#4 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

I like the rcs vanguard 2 that Bryan reviewed. I'm also considering getting a kydex holster from otg, a local company that bryan has reviewed. I think theyre also cheaper and have less of a leadtime than rcs.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Holster, IWB, Safariland 18, Safariland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users