• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ian C

Ian C

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:56 AM

I'm interested in a low profile chest rig for range days and to stow in a bag on trips where my AR comes along.
The HSD3 rig seems to be a good choice, but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience, thoughts, or comments on it.

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

I had started a response then redacted it because my exposure to it was pretty limited but then figured I should at least offer my first observations of it.

I had a chance to handle and inspect Travis personal rig (that sounds disgusting) and I can honest say that it would be my first choice for a more slick convertible chest rig.

He showed how easily plates could be added using additional parts, how it could quickly be donned and doffed with little effort and how each part can function on its own without the need of additional parts if necessary.

The plates he added were unrealistically thin so unless you have a big budget for armor plating it would be unfair to compare the weight.

The functions are well thought out and though I'm not sold on the Kryptec pattern it isn't bad in some of its variants.

In all, probably my first choice for a configurable slick chest rig.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 Ian C

Ian C

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

Many thanks for the reply.

#4 AggieSheepdog

AggieSheepdog

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 49 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas.

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

Got one and now I kinda wished I hadn't. Not that it isn't great quality, its just that now I have to make my gear match my rig instead of the other way around. It was an impulse buy. 

Protect the flock. Confront the wolf.

#5 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

HSP has a sale on a bunch of stuff for the next few days, so I'm planning on getting a D3CR in Coyote, and maybe the 3 mag extension if I can talk my wife into giving me a piece of her GI bill money. As much as I like my BFG 10-speed triple M4 mag pouch, I think the D3CR will work much better for me overall, and has the ability to be detached if necessary.

HSP-July-4-Sale.jpg

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#6 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

Just an update: I got my d3cr and rifle mag extension just after the 4th, and the velocity systems swiftclip kit arrived today so I can mount it to my flack directly, along with a set of vertical fastex female buckles for vertical support. I really havent used it yet, but it does seem nicer and easier to use than the combo bfg triplespeed triple m4 mag pouch and dual pig kangaroo mag pouches that I was using for a couple years. I'll post a pic or two once I get them loaded to photobucket

#7 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:03 AM

20140722_195714_zpsou0yvtfg.jpg
  • spenceman likes this

#8 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

Those little rigs sure are nice looking, but I just like laying on my stomach too much for it to work for me.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#9 YourHuckleberry

YourHuckleberry

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:58 PM

Reviving an old thread here.  I'm in the same situation you were, Ian C, and am also considering the HSD3 chest rig.  Did you wind up getting one or opt for something else?

For that matter, Spenceman, what have you found that accommodates similar demands when in the prone position? 

#10 Ian C

Ian C

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

I did end up going with the the Haley rig, and eventually bought the double magazine wedge insert that brings it up to 6 in total. I've been using it a lot over the past year plus, and I love it. For the price I would say it's a great deal when compared to starting with a slick rig and purchasing other pouches. It's been comfortable to wear stand-alone, and the materials have held up to occasions of not-so-gentle use. 

I recently purchased the Mayflower APC and their Swift-Clip kit and mated up the DC3R with the carrier to make a pretty nice, slim setup that can go from simple chest rig to full plate carrier in no time.

In my opinion the DC3R is kind of a jack of all trades that has worked in various roles for me. I didn't really have any "mission specific" needs that I needed it to meet beyond carrying ammo and some odds and ends, and to that end it has performed exceedingly well.

Hope this helped!

#11 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:07 PM

Thats been my assessment over the last 18 months as well, Ian. I got the same rifle mag insert, and the only other upgrade I plan to make is the mag pouch insert so I can ditch the bungees. I got the swift clips and molle vertical itw clips so I can mount it to my issue plate carrier, and the large molle field on the back means I can mount it directly to the PIG Brig plate carrier I plan on buying soon with no additional hardware.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chest rig, Haley strategic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users