#1 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

http://www.notchgear...roductCode=NC-T

Just curious if anyone has held or owns a Notch cap.  If so, any rough estimate on the size of the "notch" on each side of the bill?  I'm not paying $30 for a cap, especially one with the brand name embroidered across the front.  But I really like the concept.  I stopped wearing ball caps years ago because they always got in the way of my shades.  I'm leaning toward buying a decent cap and making the cuts myself.  I've got a friend who makes custom leather goods, I'm sure her sewing machine can handing the stitching.  The only think I'm unsure of is what the size of the notch is.  I'm guessing it's about the size of 1/2 of a quarter.

NoTMZyB.png

#2 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

I have had some problems with my hat sitting on my shades, but I fixed that by making the bend of the bill not as extreme as I had it.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#3 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

Yeah, tried that back in the day.  Just didn't like it.  I prefer a pretty round bill myself.  And the few hats I did own wouldn't exactly flatten out well after years of being rounded.  They always seemed to interfere with my shades, no matter what.  I basically decided to give up on caps all together, rather than break in a new cap with a flatter bill.  And I can't imagine walking around with that flat bill nonsense the kids wear these days.  You can get the hell off my lawn with that ugly crap!

• mangeface, Davis and DieselD like this

NoTMZyB.png

#4 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

Yeah, tried that back in the day.  Just didn't like it.  I prefer a pretty round bill myself.  And the few hats I did own wouldn't exactly flatten out well after years of being rounded.  They always seemed to interfere with my shades, no matter what.  I basically decided to give up on caps all together, rather than break in a new cap with a flatter bill.  And I can't imagine walking around with that flat bill nonsense the kids wear these days.  You can get the hell off my lawn with that ugly crap!

Haha, well mine isn't that flat. But I can't stand shooting without a hat on. Even wearing my Oakley sunglasses I get the sun shining in from around the lens which throws me off. So now I've retorted to wearing a hat and my WileyX XL-1s.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#5 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

I own a Notch cap, and I love it. They sell them locally at all the Chevron stations in town, as well as a couple of clothing stores. They're designed by a local Marine and partly manufactured (the notch part is done) right here in AZ. I've got a decent sized head (about 7 1/4") and I bought the S/M, because they strectch slightly over time.

If you were to attempt a DIY notch start off about .5" from the junction of the brim/cap, about 1.5" long and .5-.75" deep. Then use some E6000 or something to seal the edges.

Attached File  20140111_101549 (Small).jpg   45.78KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20140111_101558 (Small).jpg   55.74KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20140111_101614 (Small).jpg   54.33KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20140111_101626 (Small).jpg   46.75KB   0 downloads

Edited by spenceman, 11 January 2014 - 12:42 PM.

• SwatDawg335 likes this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#6 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for the help Spence!  That's exactly what I was looking for.

NoTMZyB.png

#7 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

I e-mailed them a while back asking about a "stealth" model without the logo across the front and maybe along the side in a smaller font. They said that perhaps later they will do that along with more color choices. I still want one, I think it make wearing shooting glasses a lot easier for me.

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#8 Dustan56

Dustan56

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

I love mine!! They are great quality hats! I've actually got the same color as spenceman! Gonna buy another one in black I think!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users