25 replies to this topic

#1 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:21 AM

Okay guys, I need some opinions to help me make up my mind. 

First a little backstory, For years and years I have not been a fan of to 9mm handgun caliber; over the past few years my view has started to change, however all of my semi-auto handguns, except for my LCP, are .40 S&W, so when I would get new handguns I would just get another .40 because that's what caliber ammo I have my money invested in. Well now I have decided that even though I still really the .40, and will continue to use this caliber as my go to EDC, I would also like to start getting some 9mm handguns to expand my mindset and diversify my portfolio.  

Now I am stuck in a logic circle again. I have been really considering getting the full size M&P in 9, but my problem is, I own Glock, so if I were to get a Glock 17 then I would just be able to use all of my current holsters/accessories so it would make for a much smaller overall investment. I am a Glock fan, especially since they came along with Gen 4, so don't get me wrong I would be happy with a Glock 17 beyond just the logical convenience of keeping things compatible, but what I am wondering is if my logic is limiting me or going to make me miss out on something awesome?

So, my main criteria is it has to be full size and it has to be a 9mm, from there what do you guys think, Glock or M&P? If I follow my logical view point I will go Glock but from you guys that are M&P fans, do you think I am going to be missing out on something awesome?

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#2 Hawkthrower

Hawkthrower

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:30 AM

I agree with .40 is my caliber of choice. 9mm is good to have around. You cannot go wrong with tactical Tupperware. Glock is the way to go.

#3 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

I love both. In another thread where someone's talking about getting an M&P most owners say a trigger upgrade and it's an awesome pistol. To me a sights upgrade and the Glock is superb. For me the tie breaker is you already have equipment for the Glock.

My suggestion: go Glock.

Edited by mangeface, 11 January 2014 - 07:37 AM.

• Davis likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#4 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

I'm not really a Glock fan (just doesn't feel right in my hands), and I own an M&P 9 (and what you've been told about the trigger is true). I haven't really put a lot of rounds through the M&P yet, but I don't think the trigger is "breaking" in... Its just a little crunchy for my taste. Though, I have been told, that you can fix that with a new trigger assembly. I still prefer my P226... 

Honest opinion: Glock because you are already in that ecosystem and obviously like it. Trust the logic!

• Davis likes this

89BccLb.png

#5 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

Well, I admit, I'm pulling for the Glock 17, cause its what I've carried for almost a decade half.

But if it really is a easy toss up between the two; Id say glock. As you mentioned and everyone else, logistics save a lot of money.

And two, running a famaliar system. Personally, I am boring guy and prefer consistenty. While the 2 calibers handle a bit different, everything else the same. Basic handling skills will not change, hand positions, mag release etc. If you need to grab, either one in a pinch, you will have that much less to focus on shifting operational procedures and can focus more at task on hand.

This is also notably because life is, what life is. Could be a week or 3 months before we get time to really practice so more famaliaraztion the better.
  • Davis likes this

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#6 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

If I could pick any handgun to go back overseas with, it would be a Glock 19 w/ X300U or TLR-1HL w/ Trijicon night sights.

Just saying.

If I could only grab one handgun before the apocalypse or SHTF, it'd be my Glock. My USP is my bedside gun, but my Glock is my go to for everything else.

It's strange, because I used to despise Glocks like you wouldn't believe.

• Davis likes this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#7 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

Well, it looks like you guys confirmed what I was already thinking, so Glock it is!

Now to figure out how to pay for it. I have an old Sig P229 that I think I will try to unload to put toward the purchase. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#8 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

Well, it looks like you guys confirmed what I was already thinking, so Glock it is!

Now to figure out how to pay for it. I have an old Sig P229 that I think I will try to unload to put toward the purchase. 

Cal, Price, Model? PM me... I'm actually looking for a P229 if the price is right and all.

• Davis likes this

89BccLb.png

#9 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

Cal, Price, Model? PM me... I'm actually looking for a P229 if the price is right and all.

I'll grab the gun tonight and take some pics and send you a PM with the info. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#10 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

Sounds good man, I really love my P226 and have been looking to add its "little" (if that's even fitting) brother to my collection for a while. 

89BccLb.png

#11 Direwolf

Direwolf

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

I think for you, the smart thing is to have gone with the Glock.  Both are great guns. I use to not be so fond of Glock and have been partial to the M&P and Springfield XD. After my recent experience in my police academy firearms course, I have come to appreciate the Glock a lot more. Unfortunately, now I want them all. :)

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#12 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

Thanks to one of the local ITS fellas I was able to unload the Sig so I picked up the new G17 this afternoon. Looking forward to breaking it in next Saturday at the Advanced Handgun class with Granite Firearms Training!

Attached File  IMG_1678.JPG   487.28KB   2 downloads

• LongHaul, DirtyTrigger and Millertime1103 like this

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#13 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

I do really like the Gen 4's   Awesome score.

• Davis likes this

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#14 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

I do really like the Gen 4's   Awesome score.

Pre-Gen 4 I liked Glock's for their utilitarian design and rugged durability, but after they introduced the Gen 4 technology I went from liking them to being much more fond of them; I am now a genuine Glock fan. I have now finally replaced all of my older model Glocks with Gen 4's!

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#15 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

I love the Gen 4s. My favorite upgrades over previous models are the enlarged mag release and the bigger recoil spring.
  • Davis likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#16 Millertime1103

Millertime1103

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

Thanks to one of the local ITS fellas I was able to unload the Sig so I picked up the new G17 this afternoon. Looking forward to breaking it in next Saturday at the Advanced Handgun class with Granite Firearms Training!

attachicon.gifIMG_1678.JPG

BTW, that FX Tactical place is the bees-knees. I was a little sad that they had to kick us out by 6  :P

• Davis likes this
-- Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Posted Image

#17 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

BTW, that FX Tactical place is the bees-knees. I was a little sad that they had to kick us out by 6  :P

Yeah man, that place really is pretty great, they've taken more than a few of my dollars!

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#18 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

I love the Gen 4s. My favorite upgrades over previous models are the enlarged mag release and the bigger recoil spring.

I agree, I think that double recoil spring made a big difference in the "snap/pop" of the .40 cal. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#19 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

I've never been fond of glocks from a aesthetic perspective, but somehow the new 41 turns me on.... I'm gonna have to get one.

• Davis likes this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#20 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

I've never shot any of their long slides... I've always been curious how they compare to their standard length counter parts. 

I'm also interested in checking out the G42... I would like to see one side by side with a Ruger LCP. I know it will be bigger, but I'm just wondering if it will still fall into the pocket pistol category or not. I'm not a fan of carrying a .380, but sometimes it's the only option I have given specific situations and I really don't like my LCP. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: M&PGlock, 9mm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users