18 replies to this topic

#1 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:54 AM

Is your first line a more "offensive" load or a "defensive/survival load?"[I'm new to this so correct me if I'm getting this wrong.]The way that I see it is that you may go with one of those two loads.(I'm excluding things that you would have for both, like clothing and socks, belts, etc.)My example of offensive:- Full size pistol- 2 spare magazines- Survival kit- First aid kitMy example of defensive/survival:- Larger Survival kit- Larger First aid kit- "Tactical pen"- Spare batteries or charger for cell phone- EDC style blade (nothing crazy but strong enough for survival)** I understand that this all totally depends on the location and the circumstances. **Thoughts?  Really, I might be totally mistaken as to what people may carry and utilize but these are my thoughts.

#2 Teton Traveler

Teton Traveler

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:35 PM

At least at the moment, the direction I am going with my EDC I guess you would be in the middle. I am waiting for my ccw permit to arrive, but when it does, it will be a smaller 9mm instead of a full size pistol, with at least one magazine, paracord bracelet, spyderco delica 4 knife, and some other smaller survival things.
Posted Image

#3 9chase26

9chase26

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:19 PM

My EDC kit is a little different, just because usually I'm driving my patrol car around town.  Still in plain clothes but have to be ready for a SWAT or K-9 page-out...Glock 23 w/ 1 extra mag1 pair ASP hinged cuffsKa Bar folding WarthogFisher Space-penWilderness Instructor's beltParacord braceletBertucci Field WatchSometimes I'll add some stuff like...Taser X26 (gotta have some less-lethal...)Leatherman WaveHide-Away Knife around the neckSurefire G2Plus my SUV has my SWAT kit, M4 and my furry four-legged partner riding shotgun.../wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_cool.gif

PlankOwnerSignature.png "Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacre mercenaire"

#4 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:11 PM

Dudes, I just moved this topic to the EDC forum.  I think it's evolving more into EDC than true 1st Line Gear.  No worries!  Keep up all the great info!  We all love hearing about what works for you guys!

#5 sigsshooter

sigsshooter

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

I carry a full-size and no extra mags. Used to carry two reloads, but stopped about two years ago. I'm not a Cop anymore so therefore I don't kick doors down for a living. My job in a CC situation is to extract myself and the wife and or friends and loved ones from a bad situation. If 13 rounds of .357 sig won't do the job then I have pissed off the Mafia and therefore need to run heavy and have Arty on standby.Just my .02
/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.png

"I will make you BLEEDOUT before you can Tapout"———- "Doc" 2010

#6 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:24 PM

Good call @sigsshooter - I agree.  Even though I only have an ultra compact, I'm thinking that one magazine should be enough.  But an extra 6 rounds of .380 is super small and light so I might as well.  I really don't think I'll need to pull it out but just in case.  If I were carrying full size I would certainly lean towards your approach. See, my goal with concealed carry isn't to play western, it's to use in emergencies.  My first step is to get out of there.  Get cover for me and my family then I'll assess the situation.  But depending on that, a cell phone can sometimes do the trick.

#7 ThunderChicken

ThunderChicken

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 17 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

I  carry either a full size .40 s&w or 1911 depending on attire.  My job often requires me to leave my pistol behind in my vehicle (hospitals, gov buildings), but I still have a kubaton and flashlight (tigerlight) on me on in my possession.I also have a maxpedition EDC that has a bunch of stuff in it like pens, paper, light, knife, firestarter, duct tape, leatherman, first aid kit, shears, etc.I'm looking into a smaller, back up pistol but havent found one I can commit to just yer.  Ruger LCP, Glock and Taurus Mill are in the forefront.

#8 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:37 AM

@ThunderChicken - Yeah, it's super important to still be prepared and protected when you have to be disarmed.  I have the Ruger LCP and love it so far.  Put a few hundred rounds through it and is hasn't had one problem firing.  A lot of different ammo too.  The size of it is crazy. And 7 rounds of .380 is not too bad!

#9 9chase26

9chase26

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:15 AM

ThunderChicken said:I'm looking into a smaller, back up pistol but havent found one I can commit to just yer.  Ruger LCP, Glock and Taurus Mill are in the forefront.

ThunderChicken,I've been looking at the Walther PPS.  Nice, slim 9mm that's comparable to the Ruger.  Really like the action and the slim size, also comes in .40 S&W, FYI.

PlankOwnerSignature.png "Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacre mercenaire"

#10 ReactGear

ReactGear

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:33 AM

My EDC is mostly offensive, usually I carry a Glock 27 IWB with two 10 rnd spare mags a surefire Z2, kershaw ken onion auto knife and my fists of fury. If I know I am going into a particularily dangerous area I will either add a keltec .380 as pack up in the pocket or bump up to a full size .45 and keep the glock as my backup.If I am in the car I have a bug out bag loaded with survival and first aid supplies, in my office I have a messenger style bug out bag and if it's cold weather like lately, the back of my car looks like south base camp in nepal (tents, sleeping bags, stove, coats, clothes, food, water), I keep bug out bags stashed in my house as well as my families houses.
/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.png

#11 painisprogress

painisprogress

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:33 PM

I would say offensive for the moment. I can't carry at work, but once I'm off post I carry a Springfield Champion Lightweight Operator and a spyderco. If clothing doesn't permit the .45, I'll stick my ruger LCR in my pocket. In the truck I have water, a few clif bars, box of ammo (for whichever platform I'm carrying), and a small med kit (soon to be replaced by an ITS kit of course!). I'm real paranoid about running out of fluids from previous experiences. Over the next few months I plan on building a small BOB to stay in the vehicle.
/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.pngEveryone speaks gun

#12 Michael Adams

Michael Adams

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:45 PM

I humbly submit that I don't consider myself offensive capable without a rifle. Unarmed, off-duty or administrative duty:
  • Emerson Commander
  • HDS EDC flashlight
  • iPhone
  • Nextel i560
  • pager
  • Wilderness Instructor Belt
  • Marathon JSAR watch
  • Warren Thomas Ti LaGriffe kneck knife
  • POK Spartan Bag with:
  • First Aid Kit
  • Flexcuffs
  • Extra batteries
  • Leatherman Skeletool CF
  • Other errata…
Armed off-duty, add:
  • Smith and Wesson Airweight 640PD
  • Speed-strip (6, .357mag)
  • DeSantis pocket holster
Armed on-duty, add:
  • (Delete 640PD and accessories)
  • (Delete JSAR)
  • (Delete iPhone)
  • Casio G-Shock
  • Glock 22 (+4 mags)
  • HK416 (+5 mags)
  • Ballistic vest and helmet
  • Surefire M3
  • Avon C50 respirator
  • Strider BT-SS (behind respirator pouch)
  • Backpack of evil (watch for a separate post on this)
  • PVS-14 Night Vision Monocular
  • I think I have a baton and OC in there somewhere too…
Search and Rescue Loadout – that's another post…

Edited by Michael Adams, 18 February 2010 - 12:05 AM.

#13 thegrahamreaper

thegrahamreaper

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:53 AM

I would say my EDC is both. I'm not old enough to carry a gun/wp-content/forum-smileys/thumbdown.gif but I do carry a very sharp knife. I have taken Tae Kwon Do and Krav Maga and know how to protect my self with many objects. But I have a cache that if I had to bug out it's a place that is not my home but I have a gas mask, kabar, 2 zip ties, duck tape, chemical suit, rain jacket, 2 chemlights, first aid kit, bdu pants, F.R.O.G. shirt, rappelling gear. Yes its alot but it doesn't take up that much space. On my carry I have a watch, a folding knife, para-bracelet, money, ID, one ziptie, locking d-carabiner. I don't usually carry a bag but if so it's usually my 3L camelbak./wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_cool.gif
"A man can only be beaten in two ways: If he gives up or dies."

#14 Ratfink

Ratfink

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:44 AM

springfield TRP or glock 19 on person  full trama kit inside trucknoveske afghan behind rear seat of truckfull interceptor body armor next to afghan w/ 7 pmags on board (75gr tap)nvg and peq 15 * we shoot coyotes a lot at night *and in other vehicle that i use on property i haveknights armament sr15 and benelli m4 with fully trained doberman on board

#15 Screwby

Screwby

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:57 AM

I would have to say Defensive for the simple fact of my EDC has the bare essentials to survive the best I can in any given situation.My Dispatch bag is filled with gear to keep me alive and get me home to my real supplies. The 1911 and spare mag are to give methe ability to protect myself or others if it gets that "sticky", but otherwise I'm trying to get home or through whatever emergencyhas arose at the time. To be Offensive ,and to take and fill that role efficently, I'd want my complete kit including my rifle and mags. Notsaying the Kimber wouldn't be used to thin the herd of whoever or whatever was hindering my trip home, but with one firearm and oneextra mag I'm limited in my ability to assault minus CQC hack-n-slash or an ammo store.Great Topic keep em' comin'!!!

#16 Arch

Arch

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

Another few months until I'm old enough to carry a pistol concealed, but I think of what I carry as defensive. When I know I'm going to be in a 'bad' section of town, I'll bring my baton along & notch up my situational awareness (which I've really been working on, it's so easy to slip into 'blissfully ignorant' mode..), but I still think of my gear as defensive until I need to use it to defend, at which point it'd be 'offensive' gear... I don't have any training in fighting with a knife, and right now I wonder how I would do if I couldn't run and had to use my knife to defend myself or loved ones - I'd like to think I would do well, but there's that quote about not rising to the moment but falling to the level of training, and it resonates; when I ran into a face-to-face in the woods, drawing the revolver wasn't nearly as easy as it had been when I wasn't under stress... I still got it out pretty darn fast, but it wasn't nearly as easy with a bear four feet away as it was drawing it at home.Didn't need to shoot anything, thankfully. Just a few thoughts,David
Posted Image"Know thy enemy and know thyself and you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.” ~ Sun Tzu

#17 Jackel

Jackel

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

My EDC is defiantly defensive.  I am a police reservist, which means unless I am on duty supervised by a full time officer I have no LE authority.  (Further I was taught, I believe in the concept, that except for the most dire emergency an off duty officer should stand by and be a good witness, leaving it to the on duty guys to hook the bad guys.)  What I carry is dependent on where I am going.  If I am just going to the office, I have my Emmerson Commander or one or more Benchmade Griptillian and maybe my Smith & Wesson snubbie .38 +p.  If I am going out and about, especially over the mountains that are very close to the Mexican border, I still have the knives, but I bring my custom 1911 (Officer's frame, commander slide), and an extra magazine.  Up in the mountains, the freeway is literally right by the border and high jacking and murder happen up there all too often.  I also carry a good first aid kit in my vehicle.

#18 Matthew Meyer

Matthew Meyer

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:27 PM

For most of the rest of the country my loadout can be considered a minimalist defensive standpoint. But for the peoples republic of California my edc is looked at as more akin to a stormtrooper aggressiveness. Especially with me exercising my 2nd amendment right and carry my glock22 openly. But it acts as a very good first line deterrent regardless of what neighborhood I trek through.

#19 Irishmanlost

Irishmanlost

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:55 AM

A comment on offensive, in this country there is basically no way to defend yourself except fists and even then you'll probably get arrested even if it was self-defence.All types of handguns and pistols are illegal.No knives are allowed to be on your person at any time without a good reason (e.g. Carpenters Stanley Knife). This basically rules out carrying any blade for EDC.Pepper spray is illegal. Tasers are illegal.Basically the only thing that can defend you other then your fists would be your pet dog. /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_speech_sigh.gif /wp-content/forum-smileys/thumbdown.gif
"The More you sweat in Peace, The less you bleed in war"- Inscription above the entrance to the Navy SEAL Training Center   "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm."- George Orwell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users