21 replies to this topic

#21 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

Got a Cold Steel Pipe Hawk that I'm in the process of refinishing. The handle is too long, any easy ways to figure out how short I should cut it down?

#22 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

I own the norse hawk and honestly like the long handle it has. Then again it's not my bushcraft axe either. The hawk is for throwing primarily maybe some quick around the yard chores. My recommendation if you are looking for a bushcraft tool a hatchet is much better. The hawk will work and hold its own but with a proper hatchet you can do so much more even carving. At the lesser expensive end of things a condor scout hatchet is a good buy at around 35 to 45 bucks and comes with a great leather sheath. For a bit more like in the 50 to 60 dollar range Husqvarna makes a nice hatchet that actually used to be made by grandford Burks the newer ones are made by someone else but are still pretty damn good. Now I personally would recommend either a wettlengers ( I probably butchered the spelling) or grandford Burks hatchet. These Swedish hatchets are flat out the best I've used and will be family heirlooms if taken care of. You can get them incredibly sharp and they will hold the edge very well. They aren't cheap by any means but are a great investment in your kit. They are up there in the $ 100 to 120 ish range.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users